Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The only guy off the carousel I have any interest in is Sutter. If not, take a chance on somebody new.

Sutter has nothing to do with Calgary falling apart. First of all, people wanna pretend Sutter is why nobody wants to play in Calgary. Nobody wants to play in Calgary because it's Calgary. Sorry, it's the truth.

When they had Tkachuk and Gaudreau, those guys bought in and the team was a unit. Huberdeau is a baby and Kadri isn't a star when he doesn't have actual stars ahead of him in the lineup.

They were near the top in analytics and quite frankly, look at the roster.
Sutter has everything to do with what happened in Calgary. He lost the room.

No matter what your beef is with Gallant, he didn’t lose the room. He may have rubbed some guys the wrong way but noth8ng like what happened in Calgary.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
I actually think it's going to be Quenneville but the team fed Uncle Larry the story that it wasn't because Bettman has told the team not to say a word about it -- or even intentionally deflect it -- until the playoffs are over. (The penalty/enforcement mechanism being he doesn't approve it if anyone leaks it.)

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Former Rangers GM Glen Sather has long had an interest in hiring Babcock and Sather, still an advisor to Drury, may carry some influence with the current GM and owner Jim Dolan.

Babcock it is.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
IMO, if you can get him, the choice is Andrew Brunette. Many here won't want to hear it, but as much as Gallant did not counter-adjust to the Devils adjustments, the Devils forecheck was relentless in that series.

He is responsible for the forwards on that team, led that Florida team to a President's trophy and has a reputation as a demanding leader.

I would also not be opposed to Knoblauch. For those who haven't gotten a chance to, take a look at how Hartford plays in these AHL playoffs. They are relentless. And they have faced two teams with superior talent.

Jay Leach or Halpern would be intriguing candidates with solid track records where they have been.

We need someone who thinks the game in a modern way to make in-game adjustments, deploy a structured forecheck that will create space and turnovers for our talented forwards and someone with a player's mindset who can rally the troops and hold them accountable.

Zero interest in the head coach carousel.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Sutter has everything to do with what happened in Calgary. He lost the room.

No matter what your beef is with Gallant, he didn’t lose the room. He may have rubbed some guys the wrong way but noth8ng like what happened in Calgary.
Does he lose the room if they're winning?

Goaltending is normally the coach killer. Goaltending and Powerplay was the issue.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We need a coach who can get stars, $10 million players do things they’d rather not. I doubt anyone under 50 and without a Cup is going to do that.

Have the relatively unknown young guy (Knoblauch, Eakins, Halpern, Leach, Brunette, etc) be the assistant/associate.

More importantly- get a top notch video coach.

Reactions: turcotte8

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Jay Leach​

If Drury is looking for a fresh coaching mind and not one of the long-timers currently available, the 43-year-old Kraken assistant is one of the top names on the “who’s next” list of future NHL coaches. Leach ran his own bench for AHL Providence for four seasons and has been a big factor in the Kraken’s year-two rise alongside head coach Dave Hakstol.

Seattle is heavily invested in analytics, and its team, pretty much devoid of star power, plays the ultimate systemic style. That’s not how the Rangers are currently built but it would behoove Drury to start thinking about the future of the team and how it needs to play to be successful.

Jay Leach or bust.

We can't complain about Seattle playing the ultimate systemic style while complaining about Gallant not having a system. WTF.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Jay Leach or bust.

We can't complain about Seattle playing the ultimate systemic style while complaining about Gallant not having a system. WTF.

Does Drury believe in analytics? Look at the Rangers front office page compared to the Seattle front office page.

Reactions: The Gloaming

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
My other freakin' poll ended prematurely! Ah well. At least I can get rid of that POS Quenneville's name this time around (per Brooksie's report...and yes, I realize that Brooksie is often wrong). Blessing in disguise. And no, no Sullivan, Trotz or anyone who is currently employed as a HC or GM/President. That's not an "other"! And for you Euro lovers, I have your own special choice.

And I made it realistic. I mean there's a better chance of Trottier coming back than Dallas Eakins being the HC.

Let's run it back!

Reactions: egelband

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Sounds less like Drury said no Q and more like Bettman did. If Sully or Brunette don’t shake free I can see Knoblauch get a look to hold them over until their guy is available. Won’t know until after Hartfords run either way.
So during a prime cup window your suggestion is we go with a stop gap coach?!?? Makes about as much sense as canning Gallant did.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I voted Other, cuz poll offered euro or college HCs, while i'm thinking a AHL or Junior HC with strong record, or a current NHL assistant with that history.
Which could include guys, among the choices, like Leach, Carbery, Hillier.
Just prefer a younger on-the-way up guy, to an older retread.
As I've mentioned, i look at recent encouraging examples like Keefe, Brindamour Cooper, Bednar, Woodcroft. Or even Burnette, as his HHL HC stint was interim partial
There's the risk first-time NHL HC adapts too slow, as maybe was case w Quinn, But to me thats why AHL/CHL might be better pool than College/Euro

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Does Drury believe in analytics? Look at the Rangers front office page compared to the Seattle front office page.

The Rangers have Sullivan and two other people. Seattle has four people featured prominently on their website. The Rangers have always been a weird organization. Other teams appear to be more advanced than them. When the Rangers hired JD, they said changes were coming to the organization. They would hire more player development people. Why did they want until 2019? Did they even make those changes? Ruutu left the organization as a player development guy to be an assistant coach in Florida.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I’m not suggesting anything
You said " give Knoblach a look until their guy becomes available." That's suggesting that you don't beleive next year is a year they could contend for a cup if you are willing to just throw the year away until the next "right" coach becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad