Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers need a coach to reach Panarin and Lafreniere. Someone told Elliotte the Rangers are most concerned about the play of those two players. They need someone to light a fire under them. The Rangers don't want to trade Lafreniere.

Lafreniere doesn't need someone to light a fire under him. Panarin's issues are in the playoffs.

People are skeptical the Rangers will hire someone like Knoblauch because they punted Gallant after two very good regular seasons. If the Rangers hired a coach with a better staff, they could still be a very good team.

Some of the issues with Gallant were over player personnel issues.

During the season, Vince said Gallant didn’t like Jones on the Rangers 3rd pair because he is small. If you look at the Rangers cap, Jones on D would be ideal. Someone like Jay Leach would be able to work with Jones. Vince Dunn's career has taken the next step playing in Seattle.

Lafreniere needs to play RW.

I can't believe coaches are still bellyaching over how big defensemen are in 2023.

None of the three Norris candidates can reach the top shelf in their kitchen.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I can't believe coaches are still bellyaching over how big defensemen are in 2023.

None of the three Norris candidates can reach the top shelf in their kitchen.
Vince was answering twitter questions on his podcast a couple of months ago. He answered a Zac Jones question. Gallant preferred a bigger D on the 3rd pair.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Rangers need a coach to reach Panarin and Lafreniere. Someone told Elliotte the Rangers are most concerned about the play of those two players. They need someone to light a fire under them. The Rangers don't want to trade Lafreniere.

Lafreniere doesn't need someone to light a fire under him. Panarin's issues are in the playoffs.

People are skeptical the Rangers will hire someone like Knoblauch because they punted Gallant after two very good regular seasons. If the Rangers hired a coach with a better staff, they could still be a very good team.

Some of the issues with Gallant were over player personnel issues.

During the season, Vince said Gallant didn’t like Jones on the Rangers 3rd pair because he is small. If you look at the Rangers cap, Jones on D would be ideal. Someone like Jay Leach would be able to work with Jones. Vince Dunn's career has taken the next step playing in Seattle.

Lafreniere needs to play RW.

Still think Knoblauch with a veteran hardass assistant (Bob Hartley) is the way to go. Leach is a very similar option to Knob and i wouldnt hate. If Laf can actually learn RW wing your top 6 is

Kreider-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-Chytil-Lafreniere

Goodrow-Trocheck-Cuylle/Vesey could then be the matchup line Brooks has been correctly harping on. Bring back Motte and a cheap 4C and you can build an effective 4th line. The pieces are on the roster. Cuylle scored 25 goals in the AHL. Jones was an All-star. Not sure what else we need to see from them before they get real looks in the NHL.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
I want a coach and two assistants max. I hate how we insulate our HC with like 6 other coaches.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Weekes hinting at Roy. Drury won a Cup with Roy in 2001. Roy is going to need good assistants to get Laf and Kakko going. Goaltending is not the Rangers issue.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I can’t vote. I don’t think there’s a single coach in the world that can fix this team.

It’s the wrong personnel - even if they’re collectively very talented, the mix is wrong and there’s little wiggle room to make adjustments.

It’s the wrong culture.

It’s the wrong organizational philosophy.

It’s the wrong cap management (ties into philosophy).

Changing coaches every 2 years is like continuing to wedge a 2x4 under a sagging roof to support rotten beams. We can add another 2x4 and another 2x4 to keep the roof from caving in, but it will never fix the roof. You need to tear out the rot and make it structurally sound again.
*Going rate since Drury/Gomez were signed, so it's probably all he knows.

Reactions: LokiDog

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Laviolette just failed to get the Caps stars to buy into his structure and consistently execute his game plan. Lost in the first round both times because he wears his teams out over the course of the year. He’ll get hired somewhere, but it shouldn’t be here.

I’m with RB here - hire Jay Leach. He has the track record of helping younger guys, has a winning pedigree in the AHL, and is obviously doing a great job with Seattle.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hope Roy isn't a serious candidate
I catch some heat for judging coaches by analytics and not by wins and losses, and oh man, I would not seriously watch this team if they hired Roy. I would just be here laughing my ass off with no emotional investment.

Roy coached some of the most comically out-chanced teams since the lockout.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Laviolette just failed to get the Caps stars to buy into his structure and consistently execute his game plan. Lost in the first round both times because he wears his teams out over the course of the year. He’ll get hired somewhere, but it shouldn’t be here.

I’m with RB here - hire Jay Leach. He has the track record of helping younger guys, has a winning pedigree in the AHL, and is obviously doing a great job with Seattle.
To be fair, nobody will get Ovechkin to buy into anything but being Ovechkin.

Even Barry Trotz let him do this.

download (35).png

But overall, I agree.

Laviolette seems to me like another guy who screams about the right things and doesn't enforce them.

Reactions: frozenrubber

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Frank is finally making sense

16:44

Jason Gregor wants Knoblauch. Plenty of first time NHL coaches are quality coaches. Cooper. Brind'Amour. Woodcroft. Bednar.

He isn’t buying the Rangers need an experienced coach to win the Cup talking point. There were better experienced coaches available last summer. He discussed Knoblauch.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'd prefer a non retread but it's going to be tough to see the Rangers possibly bring in someone with no NHL HC experience given the current situation the team is in. That said, I do like Leach and Knoblauch both as young options. Still, the Rangers last coach was a guy with no experience and we all know how that went so idk if the Rangers are going to want to go that way again. I like Leach though and agree with everything said about him the past few pages, that style Seattle is playing would be great to infuse this roster with.

My two choices if I could pick anyone in the league would be Sullivan or Cooper but it's doubtful Sullivan is leaving Pitt and probably impossible for Cooper to leave Tampa.

If we ARE going to go the retread route, what does everyone think of Babcock? I'm out on Laviolette, Boudreau, Sutter, Q, and that glut.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Jay Leach.

Hes done well everywhere hes gone and I have every reason to believe he's the brains behind the operation in Seattle. They play my preferred style of game.
if we can combine a jay leach with a brian leetch we could have something goin for sure

Jian Leatch

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Jay Leach as head coach
Kris Knoblauch gets promoted to assistant coach
Hire another young assistant coach. Some really smart innovative guy. Find the next Spencer Carbery. Hire an AHL coach.

They don't need some old guy.
Knoblauch will get poached if he doesn't get the head coaching gig with the Rangers. Lot's of teams have open HC positions and he is getting noticed around the league.

Reactions: McRanger92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad