Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
This is what I mean.

Yes, he's the third name on he team directory and does nothing. Seems plausible.
I can put this to bed. Gary Unger is very good friends with Sather. I play at the rink he coaches at. I showed up one day with a old lady liberty jersey on and he noticed it and got to talking. Him and Sather go fishing often. I asked him how the both of them still keep going at their respective ages. He laughed and said I don’t do much. Maybe once or twice a week have a coaching session. As for Glen he said. He’s very content with the people in charge of the Rangers now. He’ll answer a phone call or two every so often. But nothing too big. Just consulting on league movement.

He jokingly said no one wants to talk to the old guys anymore lol

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Me the other day: "There's too much smoke for it to not be Quenneville."

Larry Brooks:
View attachment 704773

the way the smoke is blowing now, it feels like they're gonna play small ball.

So glad you finally can see through all that smoke and join the rest of here in saying that Q will not be coaching the rangers. Like i stated many times, the point is to make the TEAM better not appease Panarin. We already tried that this season for the cup run, it was drurys way of saying we tried it your way, now we are doing it my way.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Brooks mentioned Leach as a possibility. Mollie mentioned Brunette and Brooks agreed. He also said the next coach and Drury need to have a personal relationship.

Drury can't be beefing with the coach.

Philosophical issues between the GM and coach.

Emily Kaplan mentioned some candidates a few months ago

Jay Leach, Seattle Kraken assistant coach

After four years as the head coach of the AHL Providence Bruins, Leach was hired as one of the inaugural assistant coaches with the Seattle Kraken prior to the 2021-22 season. He was in consideration for the Bruins' head coaching job this past summer after Bruce Cassidy was fired, with the B's picking Jim Montgomery. Leach was described by one former colleague as "warm and engaging."

"If you spend 15 minutes in conversation with him, you'll realize he has that 'it' factor," the former colleague said. "Like, this guy is a leader of men. Someone you'd have no problem being front-facing for your organization."

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I hate the idea so much that it'll probably end up with us winning a Cup somehow because as far as I am concerned, nothing I support or care about with this team matters anymore.

So f*** it. Hire Mess. What else can go wrong?
On the bright side of Messier, if we fire him a couple years later, one would think he’d finally stop coming up in conversation for HC.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
On the bright side of Messier, if we fire him a couple years later, one would think he’d finally stop coming up in conversation for HC.

Or just to f*** with everyone and play devils advocate... What if.. Hes is the next rod the bod, sullivan, msl?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Or just to f*** with everyone and play devils advocate... What if.. Hes is the next rod the bod, sullivan, msl?

He isn't.

Rod and Sullivan cut their teeth coaching below other people for years. MSL isn't too far removed from playing so he's still in touch with whats going on.

Messier is so far removed from everything. He would be the absolute worst choice.

Hire him as pre game speech giver or whatever, just keep him the f*** away from the bench.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
Who cares. The Rangers will dissapoint as always. The HC will be fired after two seasons as usual and this will be like groundhog day all over again except in a two year cycle.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I really don't know that a coach is going to solve our issues. And so I don't even know how to weigh in on these conversations.

I do have a question for the really experienced hockey guys on this forum:

Is there actually a system that's flexible enough to fit all the different playing styles into a cohesive plan?

Or are we going to pick a coach with a defined system and one by one prune away the players that can't fit the style?

Because, this year the team become a group of freelancers. each line had a different style. And within that line, there were different playing styles.

So, really the question is -- are we even looking for a coach that exists? Or are we looking for a unicorn that is going to get total buy-in from a roster that's already jettisoned 2 coaches because they repeatedly refuse to get on the same page?

As much as I enjoy watching him play, I think Panarin needs to go. And Kane better not come back. Tarasenko puts up points and is physical, but to compete against the Devils and Canes, I prefer us have faster/stronger forward group that can pressure the puck all over the ice.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I really don't know that a coach is going to solve our issues. And so I don't even know how to weigh in on these conversations.

Is there actually a system that's flexible enough to fit all the different playing styles into a cohesive plan?

Or are we going to pick a coach with a defined system and one by one prune away the players that can't fit the style?

Because, this year the team become a group of freelancers. each line had a different style. And within that line, there were different playing styles.

So, really the question is -- are we even looking for a coach that exists? Or are we looking for a unicorn that is going to get total buy-in from a roster that's already jettisoned 2 coaches because they repeatedly refuse to get on the same page?

As much as I enjoy watching him play, I think Panarin needs to go. And Kane better not come back. Tarasenko puts up points and is physical, but to compete against the Devils and Canes, I prefer us have faster/stronger forward group that can pressure the puck all over the ice.
With my new found love.... I want our offense to be 100% like Floridas.

Reactions: The Gloaming

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I want the Rangers to hire a coach ASAP so someone can ask Drury about how terrible his deadline moves were. Well, mostly Kane. But I still would have wanted someone faster, bigger than Tarasenko. If that guy was more of a 3rd liner. But that's me. And I know a lot of people on here don't agree. Just my preference for what I felt was lacking in the roster for the playoffs.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

No.

Quinn was a huge mistake.

Rangers needed a systems coach, instead they got a peewee hockey coach that cared more about individual tendencies then group positioning and strategy.

I have found that teams do well when they are saddled with a systems coach who teaches them how play as a group. Whether that's team defence, set breakout plays, forechecking tactics, or whatever else. They would ideally have this system beaten into their skulls so strongly that it becomes second nature.

This coach will not win you a cup.

It's the next coach that you win with. The coach that makes the mean man go away. The coach that loosens the reins. Where players start getting a chance to be creative. But because they have had the previous system drilled into them, things start to "click". Skilled players no longer need to figure out where their teammates are going, they already know. So, less skilled players can still play with purpose, as they know where they need to be.

As new personnel cycle onto the team, and memories fade, that system starts to break down, and you need to start the process again.

The Rangers skipped the mean man, systems coach. Here's to hoping they pick one now.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I want the Rangers to hire a coach ASAP so someone can ask Drury about how terrible his deadline moves were. Well, mostly Kane. But I still would have wanted someone faster, bigger than Tarasenko. If that guy was more of a 3rd liner. But that's me. And I know a lot of people on here don't agree. Just my preference for what I felt was lacking in the roster for the playoffs.
the deadline moves meant little IMO. Sure we could have added a Bertuzzi or ROR over KAne, the ending was inevitably the same.

We are not a team. We do not play like a team. Our puck movement is an embarrassment. Puck support and player movement? They did the exact opposite of what was needed. Truly the worst 'teamwork' I've seen from professionals.

If you told me the team was intentionally trying to be terrible, I'd believe you.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I can’t vote. I don’t think there’s a single coach in the world that can fix this team.

It’s the wrong personnel - even if they’re collectively very talented, the mix is wrong and there’s little wiggle room to make adjustments.

It’s the wrong culture.

It’s the wrong organizational philosophy.

It’s the wrong cap management (ties into philosophy).

Changing coaches every 2 years is like continuing to wedge a 2x4 under a sagging roof to support rotten beams. We can add another 2x4 and another 2x4 to keep the roof from caving in, but it will never fix the roof. You need to tear out the rot and make it structurally sound again.
It really is that simple....yet so many just don't see it . Not much going to be fixed overnight but there is some stuff that can be righted . Add speed and some consistent sandpaper ...not a goon....just good old hard nosed hockey when it is needed . Plus we need our soft guys like Miller , Chyti , Kakko to have a bit more pushback and become harder to play against . Cuylee will help and not so sure on Othmann being ready ....hopefully in due time .

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Who cares. The Rangers will dissapoint as always. The HC will be fired after two seasons as usual and this will be like groundhog day all over again except in a two year cycle.

That is what happens when you have NMC players certain ones running the team when someone does not get their way. What if we get a coach that demands north south instead of east west, will Panarin want out after that? Lets hope the next coach piss Panarin off.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
the deadline moves meant little IMO. Sure we could have added a Bertuzzi or ROR over KAne, the ending was inevitably the same.

We are not a team. We do not play like a team. Our puck movement is an embarrassment. Puck support and player movement? They did the exact opposite of what was needed. Truly the worst 'teamwork' I've seen from professionals.

If you told me the team was intentionally trying to be terrible, I'd believe you.
I hear you. But if that's the case, then don't do any moves. Don't waste assets on deadline adds if the team isn't going anywhere. That means the deadline is a disaster no matter how you look at it.

We gave away the first we got for Nils Lundkvist. We gave away a 2nd. and two 4ths. Kravtsov (who was also a first). And Gauthier (who we likely lose for next to nothing anyway).

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I can put this to bed. Gary Unger is very good friends with Sather. I play at the rink he coaches at. I showed up one day with a old lady liberty jersey on and he noticed it and got to talking. Him and Sather go fishing often. I asked him how the both of them still keep going at their respective ages. He laughed and said I don’t do much. Maybe once or twice a week have a coaching session. As for Glen he said. He’s very content with the people in charge of the Rangers now. He’ll answer a phone call or two every so often. But nothing too big. Just consulting on league movement.

He jokingly said no one wants to talk to the old guys anymore lol
That won't stop the conspiracy theorist that swear this team will go no where as long as Sather "is still pulling all the strings."

It is getting borderline frustrating to see it keep being brought up. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Richard Banger

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
i am curious why jay leach has so many votes?

do most people here agree that this org has become too soft on the players and allowed them to run the ship here? i am just curious if any first time nhl coaches are equipped to come in here and rip the entitlement out of this group. i really dont know who is out there that has the stubbornness and personality to do that at this point.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad