Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Frank is finally making sense

16:44

Jason Gregor wants Knoblauch. Plenty of first time NHL coaches are quality coaches. Cooper. Brind'Amour. Woodcroft. Bednar.

He isn’t buying the Rangers need an experienced coach to win the Cup talking point. There were better experienced coaches available last summer. He discussed Knoblauch.

5 of the last 7 cups have been won by 1st time coaches. Granted there are a pair of multiple winners in there, but still that would be 3 guys who have won at their inaugural HC positions vs 2 who weren't.

I'll keep banging the drum that we need to upheave mr 11.6 more than we need a new coach though. A change of systems can only help so much when you have such a big portion of your cap space being eaten by a guy who isn't capable of producing when it matters.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's not even like Zac Jones is that small. He has the exact same height and weight as Ryan Lindgren.
Where are you seeing that? Everywhere I look, I see Jones at 5'10" - 5'11" (mostly 5'10") and Lindgren at 6'. I also see Jones at 172-179 lbs and Lindgren at 190-191 lbs.

Those numbers may not be accurate in any case, but it's a good bet that Lindgren is bigger. And even then, he's on the small side. He plays bigger than he is. Jones doesn't player bigger than he is.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I love Zac Jones and still think he can be a positive asset on a contending team.

I don't think it's as simple as "Gallant hates small D" with him though. He didn't really take the ball and run with it when he was given the chance and the ONE thing that I think the organization did 100000% correctly was send him down to allow him to continue to play. Harpur blows a fat one and they should have probably played someone else instead of him for as long as they did, but Jones was handled fine. Everyone would have been out with their pitchforks had he been sent down despite playing well.

Hopefully the next guy can do a better job bringing him along. He's an NHL player who needs work, but a level of patience+a friendlier system for him to play in is going to be what it takes for him to stick here.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I love Zac Jones and still think he can be a positive asset on a contending team.

I don't think it's as simple as "Gallant hates small D" with him though. He didn't really take the ball and run with it when he was given the chance and the ONE thing that I think the organization did 100000% correctly was send him down to allow him to continue to play. Harpur blows a fat one and they should have probably played someone else instead of him for as long as they did, but Jones was handled fine. Everyone would have been out with their pitchforks had he been sent down despite playing well.

Hopefully the next guy can do a better job bringing him along. He's an NHL player who needs work, but a level of patience+a friendlier system for him to play in is going to be what it takes for him to stick here.
Jones himself that yo-yoing and uncertainty at the beginning of the season caused him to lose his confidence and made him doubt himself. Yes, sending him down ultimately was the right move and got him back on track. However, the initial mistake was ever making him have to feel worried about having f***ing Libor Hajek breathing down his neck like he was ever a viable NHL dman. Jones should've been given a way longer leash this season. He should be the 3LD going into next season. The one thing the Rangers have easy is figuring out their d corps. It's already set, just f***ing stick to it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get the argument for sending Jones down to play, but he's only gonna play 3rd pairing minutes here anyway.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
There's really nothing worse this team can do than hiring Mark Messier.

It's my fear everytime we have a head coaching vacancy

I have been raving like a maniac against the hypothetical Messier coaching hire for as long as I have been on this board. I’ve only ever thought of it as a farce. A joke. A telegraphed disaster. A ridiculous submission to a guy who has shown 0 interest in putting in the work or effort to prove worthy of the job. It would be nothing more than to satisfy the dumbest portions of our fan base and to satiate the ghosts that still feast on the corpse of ‘94.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
First question for HC interview:

"Which PP unit would you put Trouba on?"

If the answer is anything other than "he wouldn't be on the PP" then into the circular file that resume goes.
So true.That 2nd pp unit should have Jones on it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There's really nothing worse this team can do than hiring Mark Messier.

It's my fear everytime we have a head coaching vacancy

I hate the idea so much that it'll probably end up with us winning a Cup somehow because as far as I am concerned, nothing I support or care about with this team matters anymore.

So f*** it. Hire Mess. What else can go wrong?

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Me the other day: "There's too much smoke for it to not be Quenneville."

Larry Brooks:
istockphoto-161333000-612x612.jpg

the way the smoke is blowing now, it feels like they're gonna play small ball.

Reactions: Richard Banger

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Unfathomable to me that Key wasn't on PP2.

Idc who the coach will be, but there are some rules I want followed:

#1) No nonsensical first coaching gig like Mess or Quinn back when, coming from college or out of retirement. Some coach mentioned here, the AHL winner, that's ok, but for the love of god, not another coach who's entirely new to the gig.

#2) Fire on the bench. Make'em fear your wrath!

#3) System, guidance, something. Idk anything about hockey tactics or fundamentals, but I understand enough to know what I see on the ice. It's dumb and it needs to stop.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's not even like Zac Jones is that small. He has the exact same height and weight as Ryan Lindgren.
Besides Lindgren being bigger, which is he, have you seen the legs on Zac Jones? Not all height/weight is =, even if they were the same size. Players with more leg mass tend to be more grounded, harder to knock off the puck, and more physical when trying to knock others off the puck. With that said, I'd like to see Jones get a shot on the 3rd pair without the leash being so short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad