Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We need a coach who can get stars, $10 million players do things they’d rather not. I doubt anyone under 50 and without a Cup is going to do that.
It's not that hard.

We always talk about the money but the reality is, you don't get to the level where you make that kind of money without wanting to play hockey. If you don't do your assignment, you don't play.

Panarin averages 19:46 per game for the Rangers. Neither of his last two coaches would eat into that and he knew it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Does Drury believe in analytics? Look at the Rangers front office page compared to the Seattle front office page.

I notice Glen Sather is the third name on the list but it's a "conspiracy theory" when I bring up that he's still involved.

If the next coach doesn't work out, that's where you begin to make changes next.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I notice Glen Sather is the third name on the list but it's a "conspiracy theory" when I bring up that he's still involved.

If the next coach doesn't work out, that's where you begin to make changes next.

I mean we all know he needs to be gone. But we all know thats not going to happen unless he drops dead. He has the job for life.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The Rangers have Sullivan and two other people. Seattle has four people featured prominently on their website. The Rangers have always been a weird organization. Other teams appear to be more advanced than them. When the Rangers hired JD, they said changes were coming to the organization. They would hire more player development people. Why did they want until 2019? Did they even make those changes? Ruutu left the organization as a player development guy to be an assistant coach in Florida.

That’s the underlying problem with the organization as a whole. Teams are expanding and modernizing their operation to emphasize analytics, scouting, and player development. The Rangers are at least 10 years behind on that despite having the most financial might to completely change that. Unless that changes, it really doesn’t matter who they hire unless he’s a top 5 coach in terms of system and tactics.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People are still bringing up Sather? Yikes. Please move on unless you have some actual factual evidence he is doing anything other than collecting a paycheck to fish and smoke cigars by his good friend Dolan.
This is what I mean.

Yes, he's the third name on he team directory and does nothing. Seems plausible.

• Haha
Reactions: pld459666

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
You said " give Knoblach a look until their guy becomes available." That's suggesting that you don't beleive next year is a year they could contend for a cup if you are willing to just throw the year away until the next "right" coach becomes available.
In the context of your post, you used suggestion to imply that that would be my preference. In reality I was predicting what this FO might do, separate from my own preference.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
The more i think about it and the more whispers I hear, its gonna be laviolette.

- commanding voice
- solid structure and well coached teams
- has taken 3 teams separate teams to cups and we know that is what we are aiming for
- had a pretty ehh and way old roster in washington in wild card contention until they sold

This is a hire that wouldnt make me mad

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just a bit of trivia but Hiller played two games for the 93-94 Stanley Cup Rangers team.

I think it's easier to pick out those who won't be the next Rangers coach and it starts with everyone of us. I recognize that Quenneville was an extremely successful coach but the thing with Kyle Beach that he played a part in should disqualify him. I see no reason at all to give the job to someone like Messier who has no coaching experience and although Ortmeyer has been working at player development he has none either. Forget Sather. Forget Keenan. Forget Sutter, Capuano, Crawford (who has a Jekyll/Hyde personality), Carlyle, MacLean and Boucher.

Possibly someone like Brunette, but also very possible the Rangers will eventually choose someone who has a range of experience in the CHL and/or College, AHL and as an NHL assistant. I don't see us hiring an European to be a head coach. Possible also that if someone like Keefe or Sullivan were fired we'd look at them.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I vote for Drury. There is a major disconnect between the previous coaches and previous GM's. I know, that's ridiculous and can NEVER really happen for a prolonged amount of time. They blew they're chance not having Drury sit behind the bench games 5-7.
Bet the result would have been different.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
In the context of your post, you used suggestion to imply that that would be my preference. In reality I was predicting what this FO might do, separate from my own preference.
ok- fair- did not mean to put words or sentiments in your mouth. If that's what the front office does than I really think they are completely off.

Reactions: Kords

RUNYR

Dec 24, 2020
If Drury must go the retread/vet route, then I would probably say Laviolette.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm a little surprised Mike Babcock is getting mentioned so much. The guy is a winner and coached and won with some Detroit teams built similarly to the Rangers. Dont think he'd be a bad choice, but if they do hire him I'd have to finally admit Sather has more influence than I give him credit for. People can't still be outraged that he was mean to Mitch Marner can they?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
My other freakin' poll ended prematurely! Ah well. At least I can get rid of that POS Quenneville's name this time around (per Brooksie's report...and yes, I realize that Brooksie is often wrong). Blessing in disguise. And no, no Sullivan, Trotz or anyone who is currently employed as a HC or GM/President. That's not an "other"! And for you Euro lovers, I have your own special choice.

And I made it realistic. I mean there's a better chance of Trottier coming back than Dallas Eakins being the HC.

Let's run it back!
I just merged the threads and deleted the old poll. Feel free to create a new one in the OP as Quenneville is no longer an option.

Reactions: LiveLongandProspal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The more i think about it and the more whispers I hear, its gonna be laviolette.

- commanding voice
- solid structure and well coached teams
- has taken 3 teams separate teams to cups and we know that is what we are aiming for
- had a pretty ehh and way old roster in washington in wild card contention until they sold

This is a hire that wouldnt make me mad

It's the safest/boring/lazy route.

But if you looked at his teams in Washington, it would be a horrible choice. They did not play with structure and have become increasingly easy to play against. Some of that may be age/injury related but worse rosters have played through that kind of shit and ended up making it.

Reactions: McRanger92

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
IMO, if you can get him, the choice is Andrew Brunette. Many here won't want to hear it, but as much as Gallant did not counter-adjust to the Devils adjustments, the Devils forecheck was relentless in that series.

He is responsible for the forwards on that team, led that Florida team to a President's trophy and has a reputation as a demanding leader.

I would also not be opposed to Knoblauch. For those who haven't gotten a chance to, take a look at how Hartford plays in these AHL playoffs. They are relentless. And they have faced two teams with superior talent.

Jay Leach or Halpern would be intriguing candidates with solid track records where they have been.

We need someone who thinks the game in a modern way to make in-game adjustments, deploy a structured forecheck that will create space and turnovers for our talented forwards and someone with a player's mindset who can rally the troops and hold them accountable.

Zero interest in the head coach carousel.
Pref Knob but him as HC w/Brunette as active bench coach in charge of Fs sounds good to me.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I want someone to hold players accountable.

If Panarin want to do that back hand shovel pass from the defending blue line every shift... cool... but when it doesn't work... give him suggestions with other options. Either give his line mates better direction to open up Panarin's options or sit Panarin's ass down for not actually looking for those options.

Reactions: McRanger92

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need a coach to reach Panarin and Lafreniere. Someone told Elliotte the Rangers are most concerned about the play of those two players. They need someone to light a fire under them. The Rangers don't want to trade Lafreniere.

Lafreniere doesn't need someone to light a fire under him. Panarin's issues are in the playoffs.

People are skeptical the Rangers will hire someone like Knoblauch because they punted Gallant after two very good regular seasons. If the Rangers hired a coach with a better staff, they could still be a very good team.

Some of the issues with Gallant were over player personnel issues.

During the season, Vince said Gallant didn’t like Jones on the Rangers 3rd pair because he is small. If you look at the Rangers cap, Jones on D would be ideal. Someone like Jay Leach would be able to work with Jones. Vince Dunn's career has taken the next step playing in Seattle.

Lafreniere needs to play RW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad