Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You could say any team would stink without some of their top players.

It was a case where, yeah they had great goaltending, but it was gravy. They were legitimately good.

Those teams were elite at even strength and played easy hockey to watch despite the limitations in the defense corps.

That team comes out of the East in 2008 if Pittsburgh's powerplay didn't go on a rager.

I would take the results Renney got in a heartbeat.
henke fell into their laps (they can try to say after the fact they knew they had something after the lockout season but how many euro goalies have great stats across the pond and cant translate in the nhl?), do we remember that weekes was the starter and it was only after he got hurt that henke got a real chance? if henke isnt a thing and falls into their laps to revive the franchise renney would have been a footnote just like trottier, muckler, sather (coach), ron low...

Reactions: Boris Zubov

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Mike Kelly's family were telling their PEI friends at the deadline that the Kane deal was orchestrated by Dolan and of course had to be completed by the puppet Drury and then played by Gallant if they liked their jobs......did not work out good for the coaches LOL......
Dolan would be dumb enough to want Kane. Gallant had another year guaranteed at $3.5M for next season. Not a bad severance package if he doesn’t get another head coaching job in the next few months

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That's where I'm at.

Leach w/ Boudreau and maybe steal Warsofsky from SJS as the Defensive coordinator. Defensive wont matter as much since it'd be mostly Leach.
boudreau is not going into an assistant job, his personality is too big to be an assistant. it would be like suggesting torts or babcock be an assistant. if bruce comes in somewhere as an assistant he is going to constantly be the shadow to relieve the head coach if there are issues, and that will be ten fold with a rookie coach

Mike Kelly's family were telling their PEI friends at the deadline that the Kane deal was orchestrated by Dolan and of course had to be completed by the puppet Drury and then played by Gallant if they liked their jobs......did not work out good for the coaches LOL......
and some people say the dolan boogeyman doesnt exist.

dolan is a businessman always looking for a new thing to sell and promote. how many kane jerseys did they sell in a month of him being here? how much was nyr is the spotlight bc of that trade? it was not a hockey based trade, it was a "showtime" trade...

Reactions: Boris Zubov and CLW

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
henke fell into their laps (they can try to say after the fact they knew they had something after the lockout season but how many euro goalies have great stats across the pond and cant translate in the nhl?), do we remember that weekes was the starter and it was only after he got hurt that henke got a real chance? if henke isnt a thing and falls into their laps to revive the franchise renney would have been a footnote just like trottier, muckler, sather (coach), ron low...
You're still looking at it from the lens of Hank carrying the team kicking and screaming. That was from 2009 to 2011 (and I would argue 2012 as well). Before that, the team was actually pretty good.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You're still looking at it from the lens of Hank carrying the team kicking and screaming. That was from 2009 to 2011 (and I would argue 2012 as well). Before that, the team was actually pretty good.
it was good based on henke playing 65-70 games a year during those

05 rookie year 53
06 70
07 72
08 70
09 73
10 68
11 62
12 43

your claim is false

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

for quite awhile i said kelly was the bigger issue here bc turk is admittedly NOT an x's and o's coach, he openly leaves that to kelly, yet people would still blame turk for the lack of x's and o's ha. the whole group was a mess

Hank's GP are in no way a response to my claim.
his save percentage, gaa, shutouts, and his hair are.

this franchise changed the moment he took over the crease, not a couple years later.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I see where people are coming from when they say it's the roster, but I'm interested in seeing one more coach that actually brings something different.

Ultimately, I think Edge was right on Gallant. He warned us that while Gallant is a better coach than Quinn, and would have a couple of solid seasons, he wouldn't change anything people disliked about Quinn - lack of system, lack of individual development, lack of accountability.

He pretty much called Gallant's Rangers tenure to a tee.

Man... Part of me wants the Drury tenure to end just so we can get Edge back.
Not sure if that was the reason he left, but it sure felt like it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
for quite awhile i said kelly was the bigger issue here bc turk is admittedly NOT an x's and o's coach, he openly leaves that to kelly, yet people would still blame turk for the lack of x's and o's ha. the whole group was a mess

Kelly was Gallant's responsibility. They are joined at the hip so as the boss Gallant gets the heat. I am not disagreeing with your assessment of Kelly at all.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Elliotte Friedman said on the 32 Thoughts podcast that the Rangers considered firing Gallant mid-season. Was it around the time of the Trouba helmet throw? I think he mentioned Barry Trotz as a name they were considering. Too late for Trotz now.

• Wow
Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Man... Part of me wants the Drury tenure to end just so we can get Edge back.
Not sure if that was the reason he left, but it sure felt like it.

It wasn't.

It was the nature of this board. This place is borderline insufferable on its best day and it's driven away a bunch of good posters.

Elliotte Friedman said on the 32 Thoughts podcast that the Rangers considered firing Gallant mid-season. Was it around the time of the Trouba helmet throw? I think he mentioned Barry Trotz as a name they were considering. Too late for Trotz now.

I read somewhere that the FO actually had enough of Gallant at the end of LAST season.

Hard to justify a coaching change when you overachieve like that. They were looking for an excuse to move on and they got one.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

dolan is a businessman always looking for a new thing to sell and promote. how many kane jerseys did they sell in a month of him being here? how much was nyr is the spotlight bc of that trade? it was not a hockey based trade, it was a "showtime" trade...
The trade ended up hurting the team. The Rangers would have gone in a different direction and they could probably still be playing. Dolan doesn’t look like a healthy man. I went to a Knicks game a couple of months ago. The tickets were near the Knicks bench where Dolan sits. He looked more disheveled than usual. Much fatter. He left at halftime and didn’t return until 5 minutes into the third quarter. He doesn’t cheer. He sits there with a stupid look on his face.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

It doesn't to the extent that you think it does.

FWIW, I 100% believe that Kane was Dolan driven. Thats actually a name that he would be familiar with.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This seems obvious to me

Especially when Kane made a public stink about it and Dolan caught wind

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
You know who impressed me this season relative to the situation they found themselves in - the Arizona Coytotes coaches. They did well with getting the most out of the group of players they had (Keller record season, Maccelli, Hayton finding traction, lots of players having rebound seasons etc). Maybe Cory Stillman deserves a look as AC. His resume is interesting with being a former high pick and SC winner.

Reactions: The Gloaming

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I still would've wanted to see Leetch brought back for 05-06. Letting him go to the Bruins was an epic fail. He would have thrived with Jagr on the PP for a full season.

The trade ended up hurting the team. The Rangers would have gone in a different direction and they could probably still be playing. Dolan doesn’t look like a healthy man. I went to a Knicks game a couple of months ago. The tickets were near the Knicks bench where Dolan sits. He looked more disheveled than usual. Much fatter. He left at halftime and didn’t return until 5 minutes into the third quarter. He doesn’t cheer. He sits there with a stupid look on his face.
LOL - from all accounts that's just his normal personality.

Did he complain to his staff about some random hot dog vendor or usher while there??

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I still would've wanted to see Leetch brought back for 05-06. Letting him go to the Bruins was an epic fail. He would have thrived with Jagr on the PP for a full season.

LOL - from all accounts that's just his normal personality.

Did he complain to his staff about some random hot dog vendor or usher while there??
He just sits there. Doesn't communicate with anyone. The people sitting next to him look depressed to be sitting next to him.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The 2007-08 Rangers at even strength:

3rd in goal differential
3rd in shot differential
4th in corsi
7th in xG
6th in save percentage

That team was an absolute locomotive and I'm still mad that they lost to the mid ass Penguins and their stupid powerplay and because of stupid Hollweg.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jay Leach

Carbery was on his Providence staff

“I’m blessed to have two awesome assistants (Trent Whitfield and Spencer Carbery). I’m also blessed to have a leadership group – Tommy Cross, Jordan Szwarz, Chris Breen, Chris Porter and all these guys – that sets the tone in the room,’’ Leach said.

One of the things Leach admires about Sullivan -- the former P-Bruins head coach who has guided the Pittsburgh Penguins to back-to-back Stanley Cups -- is his ability to communicate.

"You have to be direct with players. Sully has a way in which he’s very honest, but he’s not a jerk about it. He says it in a respectful way, so the player comes out of it knowing inherently that Sully cares about them as a player, but at the same time he’s saying directly that this has to change or whatever it might be. It’s a real art. I don’t think I’ve mastered that. It’s going to take time,'' Leach said.

While the hockey part of the job is mostly second nature, overseeing off-the-ice details is not. “Travel and the bus, just the little stuff. The logistics – every day you get something that you don’t think about,’’ he said.

Leach is fully immersed in his work. On a typical weekday, he arrives at the rink at 6:30 a.m., gets a workout in and then prepares for a 10:30 practice. There’s plenty to do after the team gets off the ice at around noon. There’s video, analytics and other tasks before he calls it a day around 4:30 or 5 o’clock.

Analytics disqualifies him from the job.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The 2007-08 Rangers at even strength:

3rd in goal differential
3rd in shot differential
4th in corsi
7th in xG
6th in save percentage

That team was an absolute locomotive and I'm still mad that they lost to the mid ass Penguins and their stupid powerplay and because of stupid Hollweg.

What did the metrics look like during the series bc I seem to remember that the Rangers got caved.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I see where people are coming from when they say it's the roster, but I'm interested in seeing one more coach that actually brings something different.

Ultimately, I think Edge was right on Gallant. He warned us that while Gallant is a better coach than Quinn, and would have a couple of solid seasons, he wouldn't change anything people disliked about Quinn - lack of system, lack of individual development, lack of accountability.

He pretty much called Gallant's Rangers tenure to a tee.
I miss Edge

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What did the metrics look like during the series bc I seem to remember that the Rangers got caved.
The Rangers had about a 55% CF and the xG were about even. If there's one criticism of that Rangers team, it was that they had more quantity than quality.

You probably remember getting caved because the Pens PP ran train on us. It was 5 for 20 and ours was 2 for 21.

That was their 2008 run in a nutshell. 19 powerplay goals in 19 games in an era where an extra goal per game was like scoring three now.

The 2009 team was legit. They had a similar arc in 2016 and 2017. The 2016 team wagoned the whole league while the 2017 team limped through some of the worst goaltending (against) and easiest matchups for a Cup winner in NHL history.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
yes, this is not new news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad