Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers had about a 55% CF and the xG were about even. If there's one criticism of that Rangers team, it was that they had more quantity than quality.

You probably remember getting caved because the Pens PP ran train on us. It was 5 for 20 and ours was 2 for 21.

That was their 2008 run in a nutshell. 19 powerplay goals in 19 games in an era where an extra goal per game was like scoring three now.

The 2009 team was legit. They had a similar arc in 2016 and 2017. The 2016 team wagoned the whole league while the 2017 team limped through some of the worst goaltending (against) and easiest matchups for a Cup winner in NHL history.

The 2017 Pens getting through Washington was the 3rd most voodoo thing I've seen in the playoffs.

#1 was Montreal getting by Washington in 2010
#2 was Montreal getting by Boston in 2014.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The trade ended up hurting the team. The Rangers would have gone in a different direction and they could probably still be playing. Dolan doesn’t look like a healthy man. I went to a Knicks game a couple of months ago. The tickets were near the Knicks bench where Dolan sits. He looked more disheveled than usual. Much fatter. He left at halftime and didn’t return until 5 minutes into the third quarter. He doesn’t cheer. He sits there with a stupid look on his face.
he's not a fan, he is a business man. he isnt mark cuban. he is there to observe his business and figure out how to make more money and more headlines. the kane trade did that

Reactions: Boris Zubov and CLW

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Truthfully, this whole coach search just feels like we're all looking for the magic spell that allows us to not be stuck in mediocrity for another decade.

I just don't know how anything changes if Dolan and/or Sather can meddle whenever they desire. We short circuited the rebuild. We tried to win without feeding our young players the proper ice time and opportunities. More importantly, we're not building around those kids. We're not bringing in any players to play with them at all. We're bringing in players to maybe fit with Panarin or Zib. We'll literally never know what we have in the kids as long as they're on the team unless we start making decisions that center their development. At best, their development is a, "...and we also need to think about developing the kids."

The promise of the rebuild was that we wouldn't end up being the Minnesota Wild, Winnipeg Jets or Calgary Flames. That we'd actually bother to properly rebuild and not be a perennial one-round playoff team doomed to never win and never pick above pick 12.

But here we here. And it's because Dolan always needs the shiny toy. He needs Panarin during a rebuild. He needs Patrick Kane on a bad hip for 2 months of jersey sales. For his other pet project, he needs Julius Randle during a rebuild. Our owner is Kendall f'ing Roy. The chances of us winning ever are so slim. At best is 1/32 every year. But with him meddling constantly it's like 1/320.

Don't you know when Jeff Gorton took over in MTL, his biggest condition was "I'll do the job if you promise me you won't meddle like Jim Dolan."

If I were Chris Drury or anyone in upper management, I would just send Dolan pictures of rare expensive watches and yachts all day just to keep him distracted.

On the Up In The Blue Seats podcast Larry Brooks said this season's failure was one of the most disappointing seasons he can remember in 50+ years. I tend to agree with him. It's not that they lost to NJD. They are a worthy opponent. It's how they completely lost their way this season and completely derailed whatever plan was in place. I've been through some very dark seasons as a Rangers fan, but I've never felt so befuddled, betrayed and disappointed. And I'm not really angry at the players. I'm angry at management for trying to develop two separate cores at once. A veteran core (that wants nothing do with the kids) and a kid core that doesn't get the opportunity to fail and grow.

If the Rangers went with a coach who's primary focus was on transitioning away from #10 and to #13 and #24. And someone who could install a system to help #79 and #4 flourish and build confidence, I might feel better about this team. There are simply not enough spots, cap space or otherwise to build around two different cores. It's sustainable for a season or two, but it's not a vision, it's like feeding two teenagers with enough food for one baby. But it seems like they're #1 goal is winning a stanley cup. And it sounds like this hire better result in a stanley cup or the entire Drury Regime is out in 1 or 2 seasons. Given that, I don't know what to feel other than a pretty strong sense of despair with just a tiny dash of optimism.

Finally, who the F goes through a rebuild, doesn't give the kids you draft much responsibility or PP time and then tells the whole team, you need to win the cup right now even though the kids are 21, 22 and 23. It's absurd. NYR are pretty much a laughing stock org amongst any truly thoughtful hockey fan. And deservedly so until Dolan is gone. (And yes I'll take my chances with a non-Kendall Roy option).

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Knoblauch - he's been successful at every level so far, knows the organization, and is a fresh face who gets a lot out of players.

It sends the right message throughout the organization that we are going to look from within our personnel to start playing better rather than constantly looking for outside help to come in and save us.

Continuity from our AHL team can't be a bad thing either.

The only reason why you wouldn't use him is because he hasn't coached at this level before. But that's not really a valid reason. Every indication has shown that he's ready for this.

I also think he'll give the kids more playing time.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Truthfully, this whole coach search just feels like we're all looking for the magic spell that allows us to not be stuck in mediocrity for another decade.

I just don't know how anything changes if Dolan and/or Sather can meddle whenever they desire. We short circuited the rebuild. We tried to win without feeding our young players the proper ice time and opportunities. More importantly, we're not building around those kids. We're not bringing in any players to play with them at all. We're bringing in players to maybe fit with Panarin or Zib. We'll literally never know what we have in the kids as long as they're on the team unless we start making decisions that center their development. At best, their development is a, "...and we also need to think about developing the kids."

The promise of the rebuild was that we wouldn't end up being the Minnesota Wild, Winnipeg Jets or Calgary Flames. That we'd actually bother to properly rebuild and not be a perennial one-round playoff team doomed to never win and never pick above pick 12.

But here we here. And it's because Dolan always needs the shiny toy. He needs Panarin during a rebuild. He needs Patrick Kane on a bad hip for 2 months of jersey sales. For his other pet project, he needs Julius Randle during a rebuild. Our owner is Kendall f'ing Roy. The chances of us winning ever are so slim. At best is 1/32 every year. But with him meddling constantly it's like 1/320.

Don't you know when Jeff Gorton took over in MTL, his biggest condition was "I'll do the job if you promise me you won't meddle like Jim Dolan."

If I were Chris Drury or anyone in upper management, I would just send Dolan pictures of rare expensive watches and yachts all day just to keep him distracted.

On the Up In The Blue Seats podcast Larry Brooks said this season's failure was one of the most disappointing seasons he can remember in 50+ years. I tend to agree with him. It's not that they lost to NJD. They are a worthy opponent. It's how they completely lost their way this season and completely derailed whatever plan was in place. I've been through some very dark seasons as a Rangers fan, but I've never felt so befuddled, betrayed and disappointed. And I'm not really angry at the players. I'm angry at management for trying to develop two separate cores at once. A veteran core (that wants nothing do with the kids) and a kid core that doesn't get the opportunity to fail and grow.

If the Rangers went with a coach who's primary focus was on transitioning away from #10 and to #13 and #24. And someone who could install a system to help #79 and #4 flourish and build confidence, I might feel better about this team. There are simply not enough spots, cap space or otherwise to build around two different cores. It's sustainable for a season or two, but it's not a vision, it's like feeding two teenagers with enough food for one baby. But it seems like they're #1 goal is winning a stanley cup. And it sounds like this hire better result in a stanley cup or the entire Drury Regime is out in 1 or 2 seasons. Given that, I don't know what to feel other than a pretty strong sense of despair with just a tiny dash of optimism.

Finally, who the F goes through a rebuild, doesn't give the kids you draft much responsibility or PP time and then tells the whole team, you need to win the cup right now even though the kids are 21, 22 and 23. It's absurd. NYR are pretty much a laughing stock org amongst any truly thoughtful hockey fan. And deservedly so until Dolan is gone. (And yes I'll take my chances with a non-Kendall Roy option).
There is a lot of truth in here.

But also...

At some point the kids need to step up and take advantage of the ice time they are given.

We've seen flashes, but we've also seen long stretches of flat sub par play.

Reactions: leetch99

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
There is a lot of truth in here.

But also...

At some point the kids need to step up and take advantage of the ice time they are given.

We've seen flashes, but we've also seen long stretches of flat sub par play.
Kids at this age should be inconsistent. But they work through those inconsistencies a lot more with more responsibility. You actually need to force feed them into situations where they can learn. And you have to build supporting pieces around them. They're not great at backchecking, okay, put a Jesper Fast type with them. They can't win a draw, okay put Trocheck with them. Put them in a position to succeed. Don't put them in situations where they're margin for error is limited and their ability to fit on the roster is in question. They should be the CENTER of the roster.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They may as well hire a coach to work with the older core since the next coach will be let go before most of them can be moved. No matter how much fans want them gone.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Frank looks like a cartoon character anymore. he is 35 and looks like he's ready for his aarp card

Segment is a whole lot of nothing
Disagree. A case for Kris Knoblaugh is laid out.The reason given is Knoblaugh’s resume which is clearly relayed in detail to the viewer.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
The 2007-08 Rangers at even strength:

3rd in goal differential
3rd in shot differential
4th in corsi
7th in xG
6th in save percentage

That team was an absolute locomotive and I'm still mad that they lost to the mid ass Penguins and their stupid powerplay and because of stupid Hollweg.

Featuring Rangers legends Nigel Dawes and Christian Backman

Blowing that 3-0 lead in Game 1 sucked so bad

Whew! Gord Murphy. He's very Canadian and should stay.

Gord Murphy, cousin of Eddie Murphy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad