Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I’m firmly in the “hire knoblauch” camp, but if Sullivan shakes loose, NYR need to hire him on the spot. Zero chance he’d ever become available if he actually got solid goaltending over the last 5 years in PIT. Checks just about every box.

Except when Dolan hired Drury he explicitly said that he expects his team to pursue high profile UFA's when they become available. That's how he runs his business.

I’m shocked Drury still has a job if this is the case considering 0 high profile UFAs have been pursued

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If it's Knoblach I can live with it. As some have said, he hasn't done that well in Hartford. They got hot and desperate the last month of the season.

It rubbed me the wrong way the second that Johnny Brodz and Leshychyun are back, out come Edstrom and Sykora from the lineup. No dumb dumb, those two need development and are long term pieces. You keep them on the bottom line and take out two other fools who aren't doing much.

My choices are Hiller, Leach, or preferably someone young who will be here a bit and isn't so neurotic as Quinn.

Even though he's older, I'm curious if Boudreau could get through to this group and embrace the offense. I'm not saying it would happen but maybe it's like a Claude Julien in Boston or Barry Trotz in Washington where the pieces, timing, and luck all come together. It would be a great redemption story for Bruce There It Is too after the way he got treated in Vancouver, and from the 2011 playoffs when he called MSG quiet and got some heat from the fans.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Emily Kaplan

Teams usually look for the opposite of what they had. A coach who will hold the players accountable and a coach who will have a better relationship with management more aligned with management.

The Rangers have a lot of players who can win now but they also have a lot of young players they are hoping to develop to have a sustained level of success.

Emily mentioned Peter Laviolette wasn't able to reach the young players in Washington and his reluctance to use younger players in key situations in Washington was one of the criticisms in Washington. The Caps don't really have young players.

I was looking at Laviolette's track record. Veteran laden teams.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Dolan would be dumb enough to want Kane. Gallant had another year guaranteed at $3.5M for next season. Not a bad severance package if he doesn’t get another head coaching job in the next few months
IMO Murphy should have been the first one gone or second one after Drury .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: will1066

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I'd prefer a non retread but it's going to be tough to see the Rangers possibly bring in someone with no NHL HC experience given the current situation the team is in. That said, I do like Leach and Knoblauch both as young options. Still, the Rangers last coach was a guy with no experience and we all know how that went so idk if the Rangers are going to want to go that way again. I like Leach though and agree with everything said about him the past few pages, that style Seattle is playing would be great to infuse this roster with.

My two choices if I could pick anyone in the league would be Sullivan or Cooper but it's doubtful Sullivan is leaving Pitt and probably impossible for Cooper to leave Tampa.

If we ARE going to go the retread route, what does everyone think of Babcock? I'm out on Laviolette, Boudreau, Sutter, Q, and that glut.
Hated it when I did it, but Babs was my choice. I see there being a one-and-done feeling here next year, coach included. And honestly, I think Drury may survive that but be on hot seat if it goes south.

But Babs kinda makes sense. Actually coaches the game albeit a prick, but he's fallen so far from heaven he's coaching college hockey biding his time. Even if it's a one-year shot to get this group over the hump, he might be the perfect hitman for the job. He might be willing to do it too just for the audition. If it works out, maybe roll with him. If not, you have Knoblauch to fall back on.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I would like to suggest Phil Swift

He's a glue guy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510_082253_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_082253_Chrome.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Emily Kaplan

Teams usually look for the opposite of what they had. A coach who will hold the players accountable and a coach who will have a better relationship with management more aligned with management.

The Rangers have a lot of players who can win now but they also have a lot of young players they are hoping to develop to have a sustained level of success.

Emily mentioned Peter Laviolette wasn't able to reach the young players in Washington and his reluctance to use younger players in key situations in Washington was one of the criticisms in Washington. The Caps don't really have young players.

Laviolette is Gallant with a Cup ring aka less motivation to get it right.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I voted other as I feel this board should really run things...
We've got an analytics expert, systems people, north-south people, some very Canadian folks, someone who despises overpaid, bad goaltending, people everywhere looking at prospects, finance and budget experts who know exactly the cap space we have by the minute, and people who hate Panarin and are creative in driving him out of town.

We have every area covered.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
We've got an analytics expert, systems people, north-south people, some very Canadian folks and someone who despises overpaid, over rated goaltending, people everywhere looking at prospects, and people who hate Panarin and are creative in driving him out of town.

We have every area covered.
WE'RE GOLDEN.

• Love
Reactions: will1066

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Truthfully, this whole coach search just feels like we're all looking for the magic spell that allows us to not be stuck in mediocrity for another decade.

I just don't know how anything changes if Dolan and/or Sather can meddle whenever they desire. We short circuited the rebuild. We tried to win without feeding our young players the proper ice time and opportunities. More importantly, we're not building around those kids. We're not bringing in any players to play with them at all. We're bringing in players to maybe fit with Panarin or Zib. We'll literally never know what we have in the kids as long as they're on the team unless we start making decisions that center their development. At best, their development is a, "...and we also need to think about developing the kids."

The promise of the rebuild was that we wouldn't end up being the Minnesota Wild, Winnipeg Jets or Calgary Flames. That we'd actually bother to properly rebuild and not be a perennial one-round playoff team doomed to never win and never pick above pick 12.

But here we here. And it's because Dolan always needs the shiny toy. He needs Panarin during a rebuild. He needs Patrick Kane on a bad hip for 2 months of jersey sales. For his other pet project, he needs Julius Randle during a rebuild. Our owner is Kendall f'ing Roy. The chances of us winning ever are so slim. At best is 1/32 every year. But with him meddling constantly it's like 1/320.

Don't you know when Jeff Gorton took over in MTL, his biggest condition was "I'll do the job if you promise me you won't meddle like Jim Dolan."

If I were Chris Drury or anyone in upper management, I would just send Dolan pictures of rare expensive watches and yachts all day just to keep him distracted.

On the Up In The Blue Seats podcast Larry Brooks said this season's failure was one of the most disappointing seasons he can remember in 50+ years. I tend to agree with him. It's not that they lost to NJD. They are a worthy opponent. It's how they completely lost their way this season and completely derailed whatever plan was in place. I've been through some very dark seasons as a Rangers fan, but I've never felt so befuddled, betrayed and disappointed. And I'm not really angry at the players. I'm angry at management for trying to develop two separate cores at once. A veteran core (that wants nothing do with the kids) and a kid core that doesn't get the opportunity to fail and grow.

If the Rangers went with a coach who's primary focus was on transitioning away from #10 and to #13 and #24. And someone who could install a system to help #79 and #4 flourish and build confidence, I might feel better about this team. There are simply not enough spots, cap space or otherwise to build around two different cores. It's sustainable for a season or two, but it's not a vision, it's like feeding two teenagers with enough food for one baby. But it seems like they're #1 goal is winning a stanley cup. And it sounds like this hire better result in a stanley cup or the entire Drury Regime is out in 1 or 2 seasons. Given that, I don't know what to feel other than a pretty strong sense of despair with just a tiny dash of optimism.

Finally, who the F goes through a rebuild, doesn't give the kids you draft much responsibility or PP time and then tells the whole team, you need to win the cup right now even though the kids are 21, 22 and 23. It's absurd. NYR are pretty much a laughing stock org amongst any truly thoughtful hockey fan. And deservedly so until Dolan is gone. (And yes I'll take my chances with a non-Kendall Roy option).

All of this, especially in a hard cap sport where the truly elite players never available as free agents or trades, it’s very imperative to draft and develop those types of players. Constantly acquiring 2nd tier stars like Panarin, Nash, and Gaborik and hoping they can lead them to a Cup is foolhardy. As long as there is no clear idea or thought into building a roster and system, the Rangers will always be a mediocre 2nd round playoff team at best.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Emily Kaplan

The way you started this post made me think you were trying to say Emily needs to be our future HC.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Emily Kaplan

In washington the main criticism is about use/nonuse of mcmichael and hendrix mostly. when they came up he just didnt want to use them and many people felt mcmichael especially would get some opportunities this year w backstrom out. he did want to use him and he eventually was pushed back down to hershey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad