Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The more I think about it and the more I listen to the various podcasts out there (Mollie, Emily, Larry, Vincent, Stevie V, Arthur, etc...) the more that I think Brunette is the guy. Has a very successful NHL season under his belt, paid his dues, isn't a fossil with archaic thinking, former NHL player that can relate to NHL players, not a barker, etc... He's the one.

And, yes, Sullivan is a pipe dream. The Penguins made the choice between Hextall and Sullivan pretty decisively and Sullivan was signed to an extension while still under contract. The Pens know what they have.

Brunette 4 Coach

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The more I think about it and the more I listen to the various podcasts out there (Mollie, Emily, Larry, Vincent, Stevie V, Arthur, etc...) the more that I think Brunette is the guy. Has a very successful NHL season under his belt, paid his dues, isn't a fossil with archaic thinking, former NHL player that can relate to NHL players, not a barker, etc... He's the one.

And, yes, Sullivan is a pipe dream. The Penguins made the choice between Hextall and Sullivan pretty decisively and Sullivan was signed to an extension while still under contract. The Pens know what they have.

Brunette 4 Coach

He's probably NJ's guy next year.

Ruff is in the last year of his contract and it most likely wont be extended.

Which is fine by me. Brunette's MODERN OFFENSE! has gotten drubbed by teams with structure.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Which is fine by me. Brunette's MODERN OFFENSE! has gotten drubbed by teams with structure.

After a little bit of research, Brunette might be a reach too. He's under contract for two more years, Ruff's contract is up after this season, so he's the logical guy to replace Ruff.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
After a little bit of research, Brunette might be a reach too. He's under contract for two more years, Ruff's contract is up after this season, so he's the logical guy to replace Ruff.

Yup.

I agreed with everything else you said. I don't buy the Babcock shit or the Roy shit.

I do buy that they'll go after Keefe if he gets booted.

Other than that we're looking at an assistant elsewhere or Knoblauch.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yup.

I agreed with everything else you said. I don't buy the Babcock shit or the Roy shit.

I do buy that they'll go after Keefe if he gets booted.

Other than that we're looking at an assistant elsewhere or Knoblauch.

Knobby is my 2nd choice. I don't want some fossil retread - Laviolette, Babcock, Hartley, Quennville, Beadreau, etc...

Roy is somewhat intriguing. Another short shelf life guy.

The only question I have about that is how seriously the vets (Zib, Panarin, Kreider, etc...) will take a voice that's only ~10 years older than they are. I'd surround him with more veteran associate/assistant coaches.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

I can see that he may be the guy in the future for them but Lindy just took them past their arch rivals in us, and made it to the 2nd round. I doubt Lindy is gonna be left in the wind. I think they will resign him. And if thats the case then offering Brunette a promotion as a head coach does work. All depends on if they bring back Ruff. Which i honestly see them doing because of how he has progressed the team

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Knobby is my 2nd choice. I don't want some fossil retread - Laviolette, Babcock, Hartley, Quennville, Beadreau, etc...

The only question I have about that is how seriously the vets (Zib, Panarin, Kreider, etc...) will take a voice that's only ~10 years older than they are. I'd surround him with more veteran associate/assistant coaches.
If a guy sits your ass down for the 3rd period, you'll take him seriously. It has to be clear that they don't have a choice.

Reactions: pld459666

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The ideal way I want to play is being able to rush if it's there because *checks notes* goals are good, but leaning primarily on the cycle because that's what quality opposition is going to give you.

Basically the 2014 Rangers. But with more talent. That's the team I want.
Replace Girardi with Fox and that's all you need

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I love this example of how the 2014 team played.

Everything is so smooth and simple. They have a foot speed advantage that's very apparent but what's just as apparent is how fast they move the puck. Even players that are not playmakers make smart passes. If the chance isn't there, they go into the corners and go to work. They always seem to make the right decision on which one of those to do. If the goalie is slightly off his set, the puck goes right to the cage. Shots are downhill. The current team is obsessed with the royal road but even if they get the pass through, they either take forever to shoot which defeats the purpose, or take they a useless one-timer that misses the net 90% of the time. The 2014 team had that perfect middle ground of catching and releasing with urgency. You see it on Staal's goal and on a number of other chances. They're so aggressive in the neutral zone. It leads to a few chances against but the Flyers are doing nothing in between those chances because they're not being let into the zone at will. On Richie's goal, Miller beefs a clear chance and shanks it behind the net. If the current team does that, it's one and done almost every time. Here, Hagelin is already following up before the shot gets there just in case. It's not just fast skating. It's speed with decision-making and moving when you don't have the puck.

All of this seems doable! We could certainly use an upgrade as far as PMD's but this team had Staal and Girardi playing almost 50 minutes out of 60. It's still doable!

And maybe the roster just doesn't have horses. Fine. If they play like this and come up a bit short because that's the team we have in a cap league, I don't care. I just want to enjoy it again.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Elliotte Friedman on the new 32T podcast wondered if the Rangers would take a look at Babcock. Other teams have considered Babcock. Detroit thought about it last year. The Caps considered Babcock prior to hiring Laviolette. He said people don't see the Rangers going the fresh face route because that's not the Rangers way. He said Sullivan is the guy the Rangers want. Marek asked about Roy. Oh boy.

This is the guy the Rangers are considering as head coach??????

On the bright side, Panarin may ask for a trade if Babcock is the coach.

We just had a “fresh face” with DQ. It can happen. And it should.

Reactions: egelband

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

That Modern Offense trashed the cup contending Rangers with ease.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
The ideal way I want to play is being able to rush if it's there because *checks notes* goals are good, but leaning primarily on the cycle because that's what quality opposition is going to give you.

Basically the 2014 Rangers. But with more talent. That's the team I want.

Rick Nash as coach. Make it happen, Drury!

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Everything is so smooth and simple. They have a foot speed advantage that's very apparent but what's just as apparent is how fast they move the puck. Even players that are not playmakers make smart passes. If the chance isn't there, they go into the corners and go to work. They always seem to make the right decision on which one of those to do. If the goalie is slightly off his set, the puck goes right to the cage. Shots are downhill. The current team is obsessed with the royal road but even if they get the pass through, they either take forever to shoot which defeats the purpose, or take they a useless one-timer that misses the net 90% of the time. The 2014 team had that perfect middle ground of catching and releasing with urgency. You see it on Staal's goal and on a number of other chances. They're so aggressive in the neutral zone. It leads to a few chances against but the Flyers are doing nothing in between those chances because they're not being let into the zone at will. On Richie's goal, Miller beefs a clear chance and shanks it behind the net. If the current team does that, it's one and done almost every time. Here, Hagelin is already following up before the shot gets there just in case. It's not just fast skating. It's speed with decision-making and moving when you don't have the puck.

All of this seems doable! We could certainly use an upgrade as far as PMD's but this team had Staal and Girardi playing almost 50 minutes out of 60. It's still doable!

And maybe the roster just doesn't have horses. Fine. If they play like this and come up a bit short because that's the team we have in a cap league, I don't care. I just want to enjoy it again.

They’re just going to the net. That’s all. The MSL disallowed goal. Go to the net. That’s how you score in the playoffs.

The other way to score is to have an amazing shot. All of our guys suck at shooting.

Go to the net or GTFO.

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
A Leach/Knoblauch combo could be a thing. They both know each other from the AHL and both are up and coming.

You all know what we’ll do

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
What am I gonna do with this official Gallant controller?
View attachment 706200
I like that it’s a controller from 2005. Fits the coaching style.

Sometimes you take a young voice more seriously than a boomer.

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas

Brad Richard’s scoring big goals. Hags being a forechecking god. Boyle dominating other 4 liners. D that can move the puck. Oh man those were the days.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

they won that series in 7 correct?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Totally different situation though

That team was entering a “rebuild” and it didn’t really matter if the guy coming in had no experience

Drury’s ass is on the line this time and has Dolan breathing down his neck. I can see why he doesn’t feel comfortable handing the keys to a guy who has never been a head coach at this level
Yeah that's a fair point, but that's how they should be reporting it - not just saying that it's not the "Rangers way" or whatever they're peddling. We're one coach removed from a fresh face no experience hire and it ended in disaster basically so that's the angle they should be reporting on along with what you mentioned.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

The play at the 8 minute mark is crazy to me.

Staal sends the outlet, not because he can pass. He can't. But they're open, and it's a free play so it's the right play.
Stepan can't skate. But he actually knows his limitations, and never even attempts to start a footrace. Slows down the play to make the move and creates a shot.
I don't know if he was shooting for a rebound, but at least it wasn't a chest muffin. And because he bought the time, and the rest of team recognizes that rebounds are a thing, a whole new unit is on to win the puck back before the flyers ever settle it.

Smarts + hearts to play above your talent level instead of below it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Great post all around. Fast decisions all over the ice, catching and shooting downhill all game, great forecheck. That team was a treat, I really hope this team can play a similar style because the current roster is far more talented.

You're so spot on about the obsession with royal road passes and them taking forever to shoot. It becomes so predictable and easy to defend when it's your go to play every single time and you're shooting yourself in the foot playing that style because even when it works they're hesitating themselves out of prime scoring chances to the net. Not to mention that if you play more of a downhill style and shoot more off the rush and off simple cycles, that will open up the royal road plays even more because the D can't cheat at all they have to respect that you can beat them in multiple ways. It's really simple hockey 101 that the more you crash the net and get to dangerous areas then more it will open up cross ice lanes, that's why this year's team was so maddening because they would almost never drive the net and play downhill and they would immediately default to meandering, hesitation and forced royal road plays no matter what the situation calls for. Drive the net and it opens everything up, it's really that simple from an attack perspective.

AV came in and took basically the same roster that was playing stoneage hockey under Torts to playing the style we see in those highlights above in less than a year. This is why a coaching change and largely the same core for next season at least makes the most sense and actually gives me hope. Needs to be the right coach with the right system though, this is a very important decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad