Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
It really does seem like the 2023 Rangers are trying to do advanced calculus out there to generate offense rather than just crash the net and get some rebounds.

You can see it on the power play too. Zib shouldn't need to execute the perfect one timer to score. Kreider shouldn't need to achieve the perfect deflection to bank puck in at an impossible angle either. Panarin shouldn't need to thread a perfect pass through a defender's legs to make things happen.

It's cool when they do these tic-tac-toe sorts of plays, but that should be the exception, not the norm to score. When other teams expect these things every play, they're just not very effective.

Sustainable offense is generated by having layered waves of players driving toward the net, shooting low at the pads to get rebounds, and occasionally picking a top corner to keep goalies honest.

It's also generated by winning puck battles and having possession for extended periods of time to wear down the opposing D. There's just zero substitution for winning board battles and transitioning up the ice as a unit. And the Rangers honestly lacked that since "The Letter" went out, with the exception of the kid line... sometimes. Fox being an exception here too.

This stuff doesn't just happen, you need a system in place. The players look like they are doing "advanced calculus" because every puck possession is completely different.

The game moves extremely fast at ice level. If you have to be aware of not only your opposition's position but also try to find your teammates, things are going to look slow to us from the stands.

Good teams are good teams not because of individual effort, but because they know where their teammates are or are going to be.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
He relies exclusively on vets. I don't think he's a fit here.

2003 was *checks notes* 20 years ago now. Maybe, just maybe, we can get someone who players don't think is a locker room parasite. I really like the idea of not recycling another discarded coach and giving an opportunity to someone new.

I don't think Babcock has coached in like 5 years. The game has changed a lot since then too. I'm sick of dinosaurs.

Babcock bombed out because of his psycho ways. Psychos do not care about the suffering they cause others even if they are perfectly aware of their actions causing it, they simply cannot, that's the very definition. They cannot care because they are nuts! They may look perfectly presentable, but they are still nuts. See Babcock's mindgames with Marner eg. Stay away from that dude. Same with Q.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
This 2014 team had some of the same personnel decision issues this current Rangers team has.

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan all out for Nash (bust in the playoffs) and St. Louis (shiny TDL toy). Richards brought in to be a top 6 center, not a top 6 center.

Panarin (playoff bust), Kane (shiny TDL toy), Trocheck not a real top 6 center. Laf, Kakko, Chytil overlooked for mediocre vets like Copp, Vatrano, Tarasenko, etc.

Dolan is the commonality.

I agree though and said it before, the team can be making quicker decisions with the puck, they can move the puck quicker, they can shoot quicker. But there has to be someone talking them to do so and they have to be willing to do it.

Panarin doesn't look like he will ever be willing to do anything other than what Panarin wants to do. At least Nash was willing to work even when he wasn't producing. There's no redeeming quality to Panarin unless his way happens to work any given night.
Oh my God, you did not call Trocheck a fake top-6 C? Yea, I have learned that this fanbase, between this **** and the calling 21 year olds like Laf and Kakko busts, are crazy.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Next coach needs to reach the kids. Imperative. Everything hinges on it. Panarin is what he is at this point, we need to look long term here.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
I love this example of how the 2014 team played.

Everything is so smooth and simple. They have a foot speed advantage that's very apparent but what's just as apparent is how fast they move the puck. Even players that are not playmakers make smart passes. If the chance isn't there, they go into the corners and go to work. They always seem to make the right decision on which one of those to do. If the goalie is slightly off his set, the puck goes right to the cage. Shots are downhill. The current team is obsessed with the royal road but even if they get the pass through, they either take forever to shoot which defeats the purpose, or take they a useless one-timer that misses the net 90% of the time. The 2014 team had that perfect middle ground of catching and releasing with urgency. You see it on Staal's goal and on a number of other chances. They're so aggressive in the neutral zone. It leads to a few chances against but the Flyers are doing nothing in between those chances because they're not being let into the zone at will. On Richie's goal, Miller beefs a clear chance and shanks it behind the net. If the current team does that, it's one and done almost every time. Here, Hagelin is already following up before the shot gets there just in case. It's not just fast skating. It's speed with decision-making and moving when you don't have the puck.

All of this seems doable! We could certainly use an upgrade as far as PMD's but this team had Staal and Girardi playing almost 50 minutes out of 60. It's still doable!

And maybe the roster just doesn't have horses. Fine. If they play like this and come up a bit short because that's the team we have in a cap league, I don't care. I just want to enjoy it again.

AV is AVailable

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Torts coached this team, AV just babysat them
Torts chased Gaborik out of here only to join L.a and beat us in the finals later on and ruined DelZotto after his rookie year. The guy is beyond cooked and i have no idea why Philly puts up with his stupid ass. He gets run out of every team he joins and gets jobs based on his cup win with a stacked Tampa team.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I don't love most of the veteran candidate options. I don't want any that won't ultimately create some stability and a system that the team can lean on even if he moves on. I don't know enough about Leach or Warsofsky but I'm open to them. Barring anything major changing in the coaching ranks, I don't hate Knoblauch. I just don't trust that he has what it takes to instill more robust systems, motivate the entire roster, make tactical changes on the fly or enforce some accountability. He could be that guy. But I really don't know.

Last summer I briefly met UMass coach Greg Carvel. He used to be an assistant in the NHL. He has no desire to leave his college gig but he seemed like a very nice, honorable dude. I'd love for the team to find a coach who can be very very consistent and have integrity with his players and not create a multi-tiered system of accountability. And even more than that, just someone the team wants to battle for. I feel pretty strongly that one of Brindamour's greatest strengths as a coach is that players are willing to go through walls for him. Similar to Marty St. Louis. If you can balance that with great tacticians, it would be a huge victory. As much as Gallant seemed to stick up for his players, I didn't get the sense that they 100% trusted his decision making. And given he wasn't really a rah-rah type, I don't believe he motivated them much.

Finally, one thing about Coach Sullivan, who is not going to be available this summer or next. There are not a lot of coaches that have the confidence and respect to last as many years as he has on a team with enormous superstars that hasn't won the Cup. It sounds like that should be an indictment, but I think it's quite hard to get the whole team to buy in when you have 3 clear core players (who are aging) and then the rest of the team. He always manages to get them to play as a team. He seems to know how to handle vets, stars and kids alike. Would have been a solid add. though I will never understand why they gave up Marino. Someone deserved to be fired just for that move alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Torts chased Gaborik out of here only to join L.a and beat us in the finals later on and ruined DelZotto after his rookie year. The guy is beyond cooked and i have no idea why Philly puts up with his stupid ass. He gets run out of every team he joins and gets jobs based on his cup win with a stacked Tampa team.

Weren't MDZ's best years (although he may have had 1 good year in Philly) his 3rd and 4th here? Not sure how that counts as ruining him after year 1...

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
He definitely has his warts, but he was a very important coach for the Rangers when he was here. He helped the team turn the corner. He's not been a coach teams have turned to to take them to a cup. But he's become the ultimate transitional coach, who can take younger less skilled teams and get them playing a more honest game. That kind of stuff is foundational.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I see where people are coming from when they say it's the roster, but I'm interested in seeing one more coach that actually brings something different.

Ultimately, I think Edge was right on Gallant. He warned us that while Gallant is a better coach than Quinn, and would have a couple of solid seasons, he wouldn't change anything people disliked about Quinn - lack of system, lack of individual development, lack of accountability.

He pretty much called Gallant's Rangers tenure to a tee.
Wish he still posted here. I never engaged with him, but would always keep an eye out for his posts since they were an insightful read on things.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He definitely has his warts, but he was a very important coach for the Rangers when he was here. He helped the team turn the corner. He's not been a coach teams have turned to to take them to a cup. But he's become the ultimate transitional coach, who can take younger less skilled teams and get them playing a more honest game. That kind of stuff is foundational.
Agreed. The team was pretty much a joke until Torts turned it into an (almost) contender. Then the players really got fed up with his act and it became time to move on. But those were some good years to watch Rangers hockey. They had a solid 5v5 game, and no power play at all. The opposite of the current crew lol.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Torts is cooked now but he did great things with the Rangers.

Gaborik found a nice fit in LA but trading him was right for us.

MDZ carved out a lucrative career as a 7D but he was never as good anywhere else as he was for Torts. Neither has Panarin been so far.

Reactions: mike14

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Oh my God, you did not call Trocheck a fake top-6 C? Yea, I have learned that this fanbase, between this **** and the calling 21 year olds like Laf and Kakko busts, are crazy.
Trocheck scored 28% of his points on the PP. Kakko who people dump on scored 37 EV points. Trocheck scored only 9 more EV points than Kakko, while averaging 19+ minutes per game with Panarin and Co. While Kakko averaged 15 minutes with Chytil and Laf.

If Kakko is a 3rd line player then what is Trocheck objectively?

Trocheck busts his ass, his issue will never be effort. He has no hands. Poor decision making with the puck. A weak shot. He's good defensively and decent on faceoffs, forechecks hard... that's a 3rd line player. Of course he's going to put points up playing the minutes with the players he's playing with.

I don't hate him, he's a good player to have around. But he's not a good enough second line center for a team that wants to win a Cup. Chytil should be the one they grow into that role.

Laf and Kakko clearly need the ice time. They produce despite their usage.

I will say, my hope is that they don't add any veterans or free agents, they increase the responsibilities of Laf, Kakko, and Chytil, fill all the holes on both F and D with youth and trade Goodrow. And in that scenario have Trocheck be a guy that can play up and down the lineup and be a utility kind of guy, I feel like his value is more in that direction than pegging him as something he isn't.

This team also doesn't really play the style the suits Trocheck either. He was perfect for a team like Carolina. And I believe the Rangers can trend more in that direction if they desired with the right coaching staff and right roster moves.

But no, I don't see Trocheck as a player a contending team can bank on being a top 6 center.

Reactions: Vaheh

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Trocheck scored 28% of his points on the PP. Kakko who people dump on scored 37 EV points. Trocheck scored only 9 more EV points than Kakko, while averaging 19+ minutes per game with Panarin and Co. While Kakko averaged 15 minutes with Chytil and Laf.

Trocheck busts his ass, his issue will never be effort. He has no hands. Poor decision making with the puck. A weak shot. He's good defensively and decent on faceoffs, forechecks hard... that's a 3rd line player. Of course he's going to put points up playing the minutes with the players he's playing with.

I don't hate him, he's a good player to have around. But he's not a good enough second line center for a team that wants to win a Cup. Chytil should be the one they grow into that role.

I will say, my hope is that they don't add any veterans or free agents, they increase the responsibilities of Laf, Kakko, and Chytil, fill all the holes on both F and D with youth and trade Goodrow. And in that scenario have Trocheck be a guy that can play up and down the lineup and be a utility kind of guy, I feel like his value is more in that direction than pegging him as something he isn't.

This team also doesn't really play the style the suits Trocheck either. He was perfect for a team like Carolina. And I believe the Rangers can trend more in that direction if they desired with the right coaching staff and right roster moves.

But no, I don't see Trocheck as a player a contending team can bank on being a top 6 center.

Ok let's try not to make things up here. Trocheck had 40 5v5 points in 1205 minutes. Kakko had 32 in 1111 minutes.

That is 14:42/game at 5v5 for Trocheck and 13:33 for Kakko. A difference of 1 minute. He's scored about 1.9 to 2.0 pts/60 for four years in a row.

52 forwards had 40 5v5 points. He is not a third line player.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Ok let's try not to make things up here. Trocheck had 40 5v5 points in 1205 minutes. Kakko had 32 in 1111 minutes.

That is 14:42/game at 5v5 for Trocheck and 13:33 for Kakko. A difference of 1 minute. He's scored about 1.9 to 2.0 pts/60 for four years in a row.

52 forwards had 40 5v5 points. He is not a third line player.
"let's not make things up here.... Trocheck had 100 more 5v5 minutes"

Ya and only put up 9 more EV points. While playing with the top point producers on the team, some of the top point producers in the league.

No one's making shit up. Trocheck isn't a 2nd line center on a team with Cup aspirations. Period.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
"let's not make things up here.... Trocheck had 100 more 5v5 minutes"

Ya and only put up 9 more EV points. While playing with the top point producers on the team, some of the top point producers in the league.

No one's making shit up. Trocheck isn't a 2nd line center on a team with Cup aspirations. Period.

Only 9 more points? 9 points in 100 minutes is 5.4 pts/60.

Trocheck isn't a 2C on a team with cup aspirations? Have you even looked at the teams still in?

Carolina - Kotkaniemi
Stars - Johnston
Panthers - Bennett
Golden Knights - Karlsson (Edit: *Stephenson, forgot him, he had the best year of all these guys easily).
Seattle - Gourde
Edmonton - Bjugstad when Draisaitl plays 1W.

It's a couple of young guys who had nice years and some 2 way veterans. Trocheck had a better offensive year than all of them. The leading scorer among those guys was Kotkaniemi with a big 43 points.

The only teams left with an actual elite 2C are Toronto with Tavares and Edmonton if Leon is on L2.

And you're "Playing with the top point producers on the team" comment is stupid. I already told you Trocheck has been about 1.9 to 2.0 pts/60 for four years in a row. Are you going to tell me his numbers were boosted last year by playing with Necas (40 pts on the year) and Svechnikov (69 pts) or the year before when he played with Necas and Nino? Or the year before that when he played with Brett Connolly as his most common linemate?

So yea, you're making things up.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Trocheck is absolutely a solid 2C in this league. 64 points and can play all situations.

It sounds more like you don't like his playing style and skill set as a second line center, not that he actually isn't one. It's obviously your right to feel that way based on how you would like your roles filled, we all have opinions on what style player we want in what roles and how we want them to play, but it's inarguable that Trocheck in legitimately a solid second line center in this league based on results.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
What do you think the modern NYR requirements are?

4202065498_6c9b07e3e9_o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad