Proposal: Which fan base would do this trade Matthew Knies For Jesper Wallstedt

Which fan base would do this trade and if so why?

• Neutral fan would do the trade

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • Neutral fan would not do the trade

Votes: 194 41.4%
  • Toronto fan would do the trade

Votes: 62 13.2%
  • Toronto fan would not do the trade

Votes: 90 19.2%
  • Minnesota fan would do the trade

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Minnesota fan would not do the trade

Votes: 91 19.4%

• Total voters

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nah this doesn't make any sense. That would be like saying any player in the OHL Leaf fans are experts on. I very much doubt any significant portion of fans were repeated viewers of college hockey.
Horrible analogy. There are 20 different OHL teams. A leaf fan who happens to be a big fan of a particular OHL team will have good insight about a player on that team. Someone who casually follows the league as a whole will not. The Gophers are a huge presence in the state of Minnesota and the hockey following crowd likely has a lot of familiarity with a massive overlap between Minnesota Golden Gopher fans and Minnesota Wild fans.

You're comparing a following of an entire league to a following of a specific team that has a huge fanbase if you know anything about the state and its fanbase. Your assumptions are just off, it appears you pulled it out of nothing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As a rule of thumb I think it's harder for a team to get max. value from a highly valued goalie prospect.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Minnesota views him as untouchable. Not trying to trade him.

As a rule of thumb would imply it’s not about Wallstedt. For example I don’t think Nashville would get equivalent value for Askarov if they ever tried to trade him.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I would venture a guess that most Wild fans have seen more Knies games than Wallstedt games.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Maybe if Gus hadn't shat the bed last season. 2.10 GAA and .931 save % in 39 games in 22-23 as a 25 year old. 23-24 was a whole different story, .899 save % and 3.06 GAA in 45 games where he was counted on as #1, i.e. unreliable.

Love having Fleury hang around for his value as a hockey player and human being, but he likely hangs em up, and which Gus you gonna get?

Wallstedt is indispensable at this point.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wallstedt is Minnesota's goalie for the future, without him they pretty much have no options. Knies doesn't do anything for Minnesota in the near term either.

You're better off using Knies to get Askarov from Nashville.
At least Askarov might be more available than Wallstedt because of Saros's new deal.

Seems that Leaf fans are saying that they think they are fine in goal, and need a player like Knies, anyway. The whole premise of this thread is flawed, IMO. MN needs Wallstedt in the medium, if not short term, and have plenty enough young middle six talent either on the team or coming up in the next year or two in Boldy, Rossi, Yurov, Ohgren, maybe Khusnutdinov, Heidt. TOR has a couple, potentially, in Cowan and Minten, but can't let Knies go, not only from a talent perspective, but also because of his salary status.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Honestly, Minnesota has a Knies in Hartman (if he stays healthy). Hartman's best season should be what Knies tries to achieve every season. On the flip side Wallstedt could become the next Vasilevsky and I'd be hard pressed to trade Vas for Hartman.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Honestly, Minnesota has a Knies in Hartman (if he stays healthy). Hartman's best season should be what Knies tries to achieve every season. On the flip side Wallstedt could become the next Vasilevsky and I'd be hard pressed to trade Vas for Hartman.
I think Knies will end up MUCH better than Hartman

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
40% of Toronto fans would do this
1% of Minnesota fans would do this

The results don’t lie. Awful deal

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I expect him to be a very good 2nd line power forward.
Hartman is a 3rd line utility forward who can be a pest.
Okay, I think your opinion of Hartman is pretty low. He has averaged 56 points per 82 games the last 3 seasons with mostly even strength production. That’s not 3rd line production.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Okay, I think your opinion of Hartman is pretty low. He has averaged 56 points per 82 games the last 3 seasons with mostly even strength production. That’s not 3rd line production.
Only because he played with Kaprizov, as a center due to necessity since we didn't have any center depth.
Prior to that he was a 3rd line winger when we had better centers.

On a real playoff team, he's not a top 6 player.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Only because he played with Kaprizov, as a center due to necessity since we didn't have any center depth.

I do not agree with this at all. Is Rossi a 3rd line player in your books?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I mean he didn't really play with Kaprizov last season and was injured or coming off injuries and still put up 21 goals in 74 games. I'd say that is more middle 6 than anything.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1