Proposal: Which fan base would do this trade Matthew Knies For Jesper Wallstedt

Which fan base would do this trade and if so why?

• Neutral fan would do the trade

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • Neutral fan would not do the trade

Votes: 193 41.3%
  • Toronto fan would do the trade

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Toronto fan would not do the trade

Votes: 90 19.3%
  • Minnesota fan would do the trade

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Minnesota fan would not do the trade

Votes: 91 19.5%

• Total voters

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I understand a high percentage of fans may be fans of both, but it is an appeal to probability to suggest any random fan has that knowledge.
We're not talking about random fans here though. We're talking about the die hard fans
HFWild isn't packed with "random fans." We're the die hard fans that live and breathe all things hockey.

Wallstedt has a ways to go before his value jumps to even being an NHL player. It's what makes this poll laughable.
Oh, so we should be happy to trade our only future in goal for just anyone, because you don't think he's tradable for a single NHL player? That's not what teams do with one of their blue chip prospects, sorry. That idea itself is laughable.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
prob just keep Knies. Leafs have always either not drafted or traded these types of players and we have always needed one. find a goalie another way or give Woll and later Hildeby a shot.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Do you ever think Leafs fans get so much hate because they run their mouths on things they clearly know nothing about?

I’m telling you, as a non-gopher fan, that the majority of the people I interact with are either gopher fans or know plenty about the gophers. You sitting here acting like you know you better of the situation is not a good look.

Wallstedt can definitely not be a top 5 goaltender and have more value than Knies. Knies has a ways to go before his value jumps to that of a 1st line power forward.
are you saying Knies holds zero value?

we dont really need Wallstedt. Woll looks pretty good and Hildeby looks great too.

there's no guarantee's Wallstedt would be a top 5 goalie either. goalies are voodoo and Ill keep the young power forward we have been looking for for the past 20 years.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Minny has a 40 year old in net, but they’re somehow open to trading the best goaltending prospect in the world?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
prob just keep Knies. Leafs have always either not drafted or traded these types of players and we have always needed one. find a goalie another way or give Woll and later Hildeby a shot.

It seems like both teams have need of the guy already in their org/on the team. The Leafs need more mid-6 jam with size, not less. Minny has to have a future #1 nearing ready with MAF's imminent retirement. That's why I went with neither team would do this.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

we dont really need Wallstedt. Woll looks pretty good and Hildeby looks great too.

there's no guarantee's Wallstedt would be a top 5 goalie either. goalies are voodoo and Ill keep the young power forward we have been looking for for the past 20 years.

He didn't say that.

Knies has alot of value. But that trade doesn't make sense for the Wild.

...and there's no guarantee of anything. But Wallstedt is probably the #1 goalie prospect in the NHL at this point and the Wild will need him more than a promising young player like Knies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Leaf fans are just easy targets that's all there is to it.
You make yourselves easy targets.
I am just looking for acknowledgement that my statement is logical. Please refute this.

"Just because a person is a member of a fanbase that overlaps, does not mean that they personally are automatically knowledgeable of the other team".

I understand a high percentage of fans may be fans of both, but it is an appeal to probability to suggest any random fan has that knowledge.
You’re fighting a losing battle because you’re dealing in absolutes. All or nothing. The statement is Wild fans in general on this board know about Knies because he played at the University of Minnesota. That is a true statement. I know it’s true because I’ve literally seen discussion countless times on HFWild.

Why do you think that comments like this exist:
Yes, only if we have secondary deals in place for Cooley and Snuggerud.
From page 1. Do you know what that is referencing? Knies-Cooley-Snuggerud was Minnesota’s top line and was one of the most dominant lines in college hockey in the 2022-23 season.
Wallstedt has a ways to go before his value jumps to even being an NHL player. It's what makes this poll laughable.
Wallstedt is going to be an NHL player this year. But keep talking out of your ass on things you know nothing about. It really makes you look smart 👍

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Where did I say that Knies holds zero value? Are you saying if a goaltender isn’t a top 5 goaltender then he has zero value? I’m not following how you concluded that statement at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'll preface my comments with the notion that I do not believe in young goaltenders... there is far too much unpredictability in the position, and how their games will translate to the NHL level, to invest substantial assets in any one until they are actually proven at the NHL level.

From a Leaf perspective, there's a few questions to ask yourself.

1. Knies is a positive impact NHL player today, is the player you'd be acquiring likely to make a greater impact today? To me, the answer is clearly not, and I'd imagine that would be fairly unanimous.

2. Is Wallstedt a material upgrade to what you already have in net; to the point of losing a "known" element like Knies.

To me, that is also No. He had slightly inferior numbers to Dennis Hildeby in the AHL last year. Even if you argue he's a better goalie, which you might be correct, he'd still have to be materially better than Joe Woll in order for this to make any kind of sense.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Ina vacuum I'd rather have Jesper since I think he's gonna be a very good #1 goalie and for me personally I think a #1 goalie is paramount in winning a cup.

Knies is a prospect that for me has been one of those guys that since he's been drafted there has been so many times his name was the talk on the draft boards. The verbs thrown around when describing him and the amount of his fans saying he was untouchable made it sound like he was doing things seldom done but the point totals never really jumped off the page and it became more about his unique skill set and work ethic that made him so revered which is totally valid.
The only problem is at some point all that skill and dogged determination needs to translate into points to be a bonafide top six winger. Up until now from college, the WJC and now the NHL I always come away with the feeling of always wanting more and at some point that will need to happen.

My favourite nucks prospect is Podkolzin, who the above paragraph could be used to exactly describe him, especially after scoring 16 goals in limited minutes in his rookie season and someone I think will breakout just like Knies will. With Woll looking ready, trading Knies now for a goalie would be bad asset management IMO.
For the Wild who need a solid goalie, trading Jesper for a guy yet to breakout would also be unadvised.

One of those times that the value is fair but not a fit for either team.

Reactions: Tarmore

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It seems like both teams have need of the guy already in their org/on the team. The Leafs need more mid-6 jam with size, not less. Minny has to have a future #1 nearing ready with MAF's imminent retirement. That's why I went with neither team would do this.
yeah I mean its interesting, I dont think its bad for either team if they did make the trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A goalie prospect, albeit a fantastic one, doesn't do much for Toronto whose focused on the short to medium term in terms of competitiveness.

Knies rare skillet/play style also makes him close to untouchable for the team to move. The Leafs have had very few power forward young players over the last 20 years.

So Leafs likely would pass, but that shouldn't be seen as a slight on Wallstedt (even though I also think it's a safer bet that Knies comes closer to hitting his ceiling, given that goalie development is often voodoo)

Reactions: The Management

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Leaf fans are just easy targets that's all there is to it.

I am just looking for acknowledgement that my statement is logical. Please refute this.

"Just because a person is a member of a fanbase that overlaps, does not mean that they personally are automatically knowledgeable of the other team".

Here was your original statement:

"Nah this doesn't make any sense. That would be like saying any player in the OHL Leaf fans are experts on. I very much doubt any significant portion of fans were repeated viewers of college hockey."

The Gophers were the #1 ranked team in the country for a large portion of the season and had multiple highly rated prospects. You assumed Wild fans don't follow the Gophers and you are dead wrong. Now you're backpedaling and trying to say you meant something else instead of just admitting you were wrong. Ignorance is not the reason Wild fans aren't drooling over Knies to the extent Leafs fans are.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

I keep reading this. Is Matthews not a power forward?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A goalie prospect, albeit a fantastic one, doesn't do much for Toronto whose focused on the short to medium term in terms of competitiveness.

Knies rare skillet/play style also makes him close to untouchable for the team to move. The Leafs have had very few power forward young players over the last 20 years.

So Leafs likely would pass, but that shouldn't be seen as a slight on Wallstedt (even though I also think it's a safer bet that Knies comes closer to hitting his ceiling, given that goalie development is often voodoo)
Sensible reply.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
thank you. I figured he was a Sniper. I never really viewed him as a Power Forward though
To be fair, HUT also has Boldy as a power forward and I’m not sure I would call him that. Power forwards are reserved for guys like the Tkachuks, Lindros, Shanahan, etc in my books. They are rare IMO.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Wallstedt is Minnesota's goalie for the future, without him they pretty much have no options. Knies doesn't do anything for Minnesota in the near term either.

You're better off using Knies to get Askarov from Nashville.

Ad

Ad

Ad