What's one thing that would make you completely quit your team and never come back?

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Relocation where they kept the name/jerseys/records etc. is the only true answer. If a team folds/relocates and rebrands then the team is still there in a sense, even if they don't exist anymore.

If something like the Hawks happened. Employing predators/criminals and actively trying to hide it

I would likely stop following them closely, and they wouldn't get any money from me, but if I'm honest, with a complete cleaning of house (players/coaches/staff/owners) I'd be back to where I was before the incident fairly quickly.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If they relocated to a no tax state.

I don't think I could live with myself if I had to support a team with such an unfair advantage. Sure, it would be great to know my team was guaranteed a Stanley Cup, but it would be such a hollow victory knowing they only won because they had such an insurmountable advantage over all the other teams that play by the rules.

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
If they relocated to a no tax state.

I don't think I could live with myself if I had to support a team with such an unfair advantage. Sure, it would be great to know my team was guaranteed a Stanley Cup, but it would be such a hollow victory knowing they only won because they had such an insurmountable advantage over all the other teams that play by the rules.

But Dallas lost to Edmonton?

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This is an identity question. You've got a bunch of people saying that their identity is inseparable from their team but that isn't true, people also have deep attachments to other aspects of their identity that are deeper than a team. Most people would be more loyal to their own child than a sports team for example, so all it would take to dislodge all this "nothing could ever make me lose this identity" boasting would be for those two identities to be in conflict.

Therefore it incentivizes people to respond with hyperbole about how much they have traded to have this sports identity, to kind of show off for each other here, but it isn't real. Every single person doing it has identity pillars that go deeper than a pro sports team, they just don't conflict and people can't imagine how they could conflict.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Philosophy/identity of the team.....
1 - Penguins have always built their teams with offense first in mind, even though they haven't always played that way.

2 - they are willing to spend money (well that was an issue during their bankruptcy days)

If those 2 things change, it would definitely sour my views.

Quit on the team?
Maybe I would take a sabbatical. I mean at some point I may outgrow the NHL altogether, but that's a related but different topic.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
If the team relocated. My interest in the NHL may ebb and flow but I don't see myself ever cheering for a different team when I have one in the city I've grown up.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
As a Flyers fan, I'm tired of their inability to fully commit to the draft. My belief is you need to consistently draft (and draft well) to build a solid foundation and eventual surplus, and only then can you leverage a 1st round here or good prospect there to trade for a good player, bolster the lineup and take the team over the top. It requires a level of foresight and patience I've never seen from this organization, and if Danny Briere falls victim to the same old as his predecessors did, I think I'm just about done. I don't think he will, but I felt the same way early on with Hextall at the helm...

Fortunately for me, I enjoy the sport more than my team and still play enough I can get my fix in other ways. But the ineptitude this franchise has shown since the implementation of the cap is impossible to ignore. 20 years! And only one "good" team, but never great - always flawed. 2010 team was more lightning in a bottle than great and they lost game 6 because of said flaws.

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
Billionaire Jeremy f***ing Jacobs not paying his 10$ hourly staff during a world wide pandemic sealed the deal. I sold every bruins thing I have for 30 years got my tattoo removed and pray every night that human garbage mr burns incarnate dies bc the world will be better with people like him not in it

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
  • Shortcut the rebuild for win now pieces / fire the current GM
  • Ban me from attending a game for personal, medical, decisions

VanIslander

A 20-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Look.

My team traded away our most beloved player ever (Linden);

Brought in a loathed rival Chicago coach (i cannot utter his name - ugh);

And put that putrid Kings goalie in our net?

I.. ah... boycotted plenty of games of my childhood team for those dark years, appreciating play elsewhere.

The Sedins draft brought me back. Then Luongo? And Kesler? Yahoo! .... we made a run. Luongo & Kesler delivered. The Sedins disappointed, except for EATING against San Jose, setting records for scoring that round. And my team let go Luongo and Kesler and double downed on the Sedins?... i had imagined the HAUL we could have gotten to have kept Luongo & Kesler and traded the twins. But Orca Bay is about bums in seats and the Sedins were most marketable locally. So be it. (It's not like Keenan & Cloutier were on the team.)

In conclusion,... only the combo of bad coaching, bad goaltending AND bad ownership... with a beloved traded away... was the ONE dish i refused to eat!

Last edited:

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Sure, some are false. But the ones I mentioned weren't. You should never be too stupid to think wokeism is why someone is in trouble, and wait for the facts. We have the facts on those other situations. And those facts dictate these assholes should have never even gotten the chances they did. Why? Because they're garbage as people.

Harry Zolnierczyk
Nick Cousins
Steve Downie
Casey DeSmith
Tony DeAngelo
Mailloux, Miller, Connelly...

Facts are, they're pieces of shit as people.

That's tough. Now you have Staios doing idiotic stuff because he's got a job that he'd only get from a close friend owning the team.

Someone who doesn't know what the word fact means. HF Boards never disappoints.

Reactions: Space umpire

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
It was a hard divorce for me when the original Winnipeg Jets were sold to move to Phoenix. I dropped all fan connection to the team the moment the season was over, losing to Detroit in the opening round. I'm glad they have moved on Utah. Another degree of separation from the past.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Not gonna happen but I found the prospect of going through another playoff run whit stuart skinner in net unsuperable.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Survived the Gen-X / relocation years of the Penguins. It would take A LOT for me to no longer cheer for them. Like… A lot. So much that I can’t dream up what that something would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad