OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Between soccer drones and floating cauldrons, the Olympic air space is starting to get a little crowded.
The cauldron alone is simply spectacular. LA is never going to be able to top this.

Celine Dion on top of the Eifel Tower is just the icing on the cake.

Magnifique Paris!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Personally, I want them thrown out of the tournament. You’d think that would prevent this from happening again.
I'm surprised they didn't especially when it came out this wasn't an isolated incident. I am in full agreement and that goes to any country in any sport. Cheating cannot be tolerated period but especially in the Olympics. It goes against the spirit of the games.

Reactions: caz16

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It goes beyond the tournament, the Canadian soccer program, men and women, have reportedly been doing this for years and only just got caught.
And this has been rumored to be going on for quite some time now. Forums. Social media sites, etc.

It was like an open secret without any proof.

• Haha
Reactions: Mick Riddleton

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh my goodness, Does Peacock offer a version of the Olympic ceremonies without all the BS? i had been looking forward to this for a very long time, I seriously considered going to Paris and paying 5-10 grand for a package to watch this. I could not make it 15 minutes into NBC coverage without turning off. Barely showing the parade of nations, instead blabbering on with snoop dogg. and showing team USA for 2 minutes for every time they dare flash away to some other countries boat

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just watching the recording of the opening ceremonies now. Was being gently lulled to sleep

Then Gojira happened

The rest of this will probably suck but I’m so glad I got to see that. That was glorious

Reactions: Alicat and Mione134

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I will admit I am worried.

So, @Fenway ...are you working or just there to enjoy?
Working

Everybody who owns a drone in Paris is plotting to get that balloon.

1722052743221.png

Almost 6 AM and it is still raining

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Oh my goodness, Does Peacock offer a version of the Olympic ceremonies without all the BS? i had been looking forward to this for a very long time, I seriously considered going to Paris and paying 5-10 grand for a package to watch this. I could not make it 15 minutes into NBC coverage without turning off. Barely showing the parade of nations, instead blabbering on with snoop dogg. and showing team USA for 2 minutes for every time they dare flash away to some other countries boat
@JoeIsAStud

The generic OBS English feed will be available in 48 hours

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@dafoomie

When visiting Paris for the 1924 Olympics, Boston businessman Charles Adams took a fancy to a popular song in France.

A few months later he adopted the song for a new business venture.
😊

Reactions: DKH and dafoomie

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Aussie Bruin

One thing I can't get a definitive answer on is why London and Paris are not in the same time zone. I guess France wanted to be at the same time as Germany and Italy but sunset is very late here.

Maybe it came down to train networks.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

One thing I can't get a definitive answer on is why London and Paris are not in the same time zone. I guess France wanted to be at the same time as Germany and Italy but sunset is very late here.

Maybe it came down to train networks.

It is my understanding that before WW2 France was on GMT, same as the UK. But when the Nazis invaded in 1940 they forced occupied France and eventually the whole country to switch to their German time, which of course is GMT+1 or GMT+2 in summer. Once the Allies won the war France could have switched back to GMT but chose not to. Why this was I don't know, but it is unlikely to have been out of any love for Germany. And they've stuck with GMT+1 ever since.

I've been in France in July and I know exactly what you're talking about - with daylight savings in effect as well, the sun sets very late there in mid-summer. I can well imagine that was a complicating factor for the timing of the opening ceremony. Things looked better once it got dark, but to have waited until the fading of the twilight to start would have meant the whole show went very late indeed. I thought the compromise worked out ok.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is my understanding that before WW2 France was on GMT, same as the UK. But when the Nazis invaded in 1940 they forced occupied France and eventually the whole country to switch to their German time, which of course is GMT+1 or GMT+2 in summer. Once the Allies won the war France could have switched back to GMT but chose not to. Why this was I don't know, but it is unlikely to have been out of any love for Germany. And they've stuck with GMT+1 ever since.

I've been in France in July and I know exactly what you're talking about - with daylight savings in effect as well, the sun sets very late there in mid-summer. I can well imagine that was a complicating factor for the timing of the opening ceremony. Things looked better once it got dark, but to have waited until the fading of the twilight to start would have meant the whole show went very late indeed. I thought the compromise worked out ok.

@Aussie Bruin It was an interesting broadcast show to work At my age, I was delighted that OBS assigned an intern to handle my tripod.

Broadband cellular now works flawlessly with minor latency issues - that means no cables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad