What is Morgan Rielly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What is Morgan Rielly

• Elite #1 d-man - worth 10 million+ in market value

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Average #1 d-man - worth 9 million + in market value

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • Below average #1 d-man - worth 6-8+ million in market value

Votes: 67 20.7%
  • Elite #2 d-man - worth 6--7.5 million + in market value

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Average 2 d-man - worth 6-7 million in market value

Votes: 61 18.9%
  • Below average #2 d-man - worth 5.25 - 6 + million in market value

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Elite #3 d-man - worth 5 - 6 million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Average #3 d-man - worth 5 or so million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • flawed #3 d-man - worth 4-5 million in market value

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • #4 d-man - worth 3.0 -4.0 million in market value

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • #5 d-man - worth 1.5-3 million in market value

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • #6 d-man - worth 1-2 million in market value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #7 Tyson Barrie type d-man, don't even want him in the top 6.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
No matter how you slice it Rielly is absolutely dreadful in the defensive end and has zero understanding how to play defence. He never wins board battles, is soft as they come and has a very low IQ. The team bleeds goals whenever he is on the ice and this has been a constant his entire career.

For someone who is supposedly good offensively, he is terrible on the PP and is no quarterback. All of his points are secondary assists and he gets fed PP minutes and plays regularly with a potent group of forwards. Considering these factors being top 30 in ppg isn’t anything special. You would think if Holl and the rest of the D on the team can score at least 2 goals, why can’t our supposed offensively dynamic #1D have more? I guarantee if Sandin was given Rielly’s minutes and opportunities he would have way better point production than Rielly currently has.

Considering Rielly is neither good offensively or defensively it is really a no brainer that this guy is not a top pairing caliber defender.

Rielly missed 15 games in total I believe so your 101 pace is wrong.

While I agree plus/minus is a flawed stat it is strange how every other defender has such positive plus minus, most in double digits while Mo is -3.
You said we've been 50-50 since his return, when we're actually on a 101pt pace... your mixing things up.

Sandin did get significant minutes when Rielly was gone and it was so good it led to us trying 5 forwards...

Are you upset about Bunting having nearly the same amount of goals as Marner? Or maybe you can see through that example that it's ridiculous to judge a playmaker based on goals instead of points?

As far as playoffs go I can't argue that. For as much as I shit on him this season it's always important to remember he can be the best player for us in the playoffs. We didn't choke against Montreal and Columbus because of him, if everyone showed up like him we win those series. But even you have to admit that it's frustrating seeing his horrible defensive lapses during the season.
Yep, it definitely can be frustrating. I think he definitely gets shit on more than he deserves and more criticism as our #1D, but it has been a rough season overall for him so far.

Just because he's not having a great season doesn't mean I should throw out fake "facts" or hyperboles like the poster I was replying to and others have been.

Reactions: mclaren55 and IPS

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I will do you one better, who is Morgan Reilly?
I will do you one better, why is Morgan Reilly?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He's an average #1 who's having a really off year, one of his most important tools are his elite wheels which are wholly intact. If he started using them more maybe he'd get back up into 45+ points.

His shot is quite average, sometimes he gets all of it and it's pretty good and sometimes he doesn't get enough of it, but it's almost always accurate.

Hes never been great defensively, nor has he ever been physical, it would be nice to see him get a little better at both and he could, maybe.

He is a good soldier and took a discount to stay here and with the right partner the only regrets anybody might ever have is he couldn't ring up more 50+ point seasons.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is our new LW with AM and Willie.
Bunting will be with ROR and MM as our shutdown and rat line.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I think he's a below average #1 but this season he's been playing like an average to below average #2.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
He is a decent offensive/neutral zone player .. he is more like a rover than a D man .. he lines up as a D for faceoffs but really he does not play D when puck drops .. he is really a guy who you have to shelter in playoffs with a defensive minded tough guy who can do da net front and wall jobs defensively .. hopefully Schenn can do it for us .. my guess is he will get all PP time and sheltered offensive zone starts in playoffs and then get off ice quick in transition .. he has some value in his limited capacity

He is a decent offensive/neutral zone player .. he is more like a rover than a D man .. he lines up as a D for faceoffs but really he does not play D when puck drops .. he is really a guy who you have to shelter in playoffs with a defensive minded tough guy who can do da net front and wall jobs defensively .. hopefully Schenn can do it for us .. my guess is he will get all PP time and sheltered offensive zone starts in playoffs and then get off ice quick in transition .. he has some value in his limited capacity

He never should have been extended.

He never should have been extended. Another Dubas mistake....

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
They put an 'A' on Rielly which is ridiculous. I imagine standing in front him in a locker room and no way I would listen to him. I don't see a man in him. Just a little Mama's boy pretending to be a man. 0 grit, 0 passion for the game. Yushkevich was same size, but what a difference. He commanded respect.
Rielly says all the right things every time, but that's what all hypocrites do. Good politician, but not a warrior. People follow sincere leaders, not this. The Leaf leadership group sucks big time.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Everyone complaining about a guy who setup the game winning goal last night.

This fan base is sad.

He was never a defensive stalwart, we paid him to do what he is doing. Setting up plays, strong transition, great first pass. If this guy was who you all want him to be you would be complaining about the 10+mil a year we would have had to pay him.

Leafs D get shit on constantly. Everyone shit on Schenn back in the day because he was slow and not offensive enough. Now we are celebrating him. Bipolar.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Leafs will never be successful as long as Rielly has a prominent role on this team
C70ChFFVUAEEi5z.jpg

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Leafs will never be successful as long as Rielly has a prominent role on this team
C70ChFFVUAEEi5z.jpg

Yep. They need to spread out the minutes. I watch how other teams match up at home wen Reilly is on the ice, they know how to exploit the lineup. He is just not a strong defensive defenseman

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Extension begins next year. :)

He simply cannot defend. It is what it is. Also can't shoot well enough to be on PP 1. Tough one. Great skater drives the play so well, if he could only shoot and defend a bit better.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Extension begins next year. :)

He simply cannot defend. It is what it is. Also can't shoot well enough to be on PP 1. Tough one. Great skater drives the play so well, if he could only shoot and defend a bit better.
Absolutely maddening to watch when he's struggling like tonight.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Everyone complaining about a guy who setup the game winning goal last night.

This fan base is sad.

He was never a defensive stalwart, we paid him to do what he is doing. Setting up plays, strong transition, great first pass. If this guy was who you all want him to be you would be complaining about the 10+mil a year we would have had to pay him.

Leafs D get shit on constantly. Everyone shit on Schenn back in the day because he was slow and not offensive enough. Now we are celebrating him. Bipolar.
Problem is Keefe as much as Rielly imo

He needs to be reined in and sheltered. How someone as likely to put his team positionally shorthanded as Rielly is free to roam literally the entire length of the ice is hilarious.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Who are these people who voted that Rielly is worth 9+ million?!?!!?! :biglaugh::laugh::biglaugh::laugh::biglaugh::laugh:

I said it before and I'll say it again. Leafs can't win with Rielly being your top minute Dman every night and he's proving yet again that all the time that he was on the IR and the Leafs defense was playing so well wasn't a fluke.

I want him to do well because he's not going anywhere, but at this point he is what he is and Keefe should stop feeding him so many minutes no matter how poorly he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad