What is Morgan Rielly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What is Morgan Rielly

• Elite #1 d-man - worth 10 million+ in market value

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Average #1 d-man - worth 9 million + in market value

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • Below average #1 d-man - worth 6-8+ million in market value

Votes: 67 20.7%
  • Elite #2 d-man - worth 6--7.5 million + in market value

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Average 2 d-man - worth 6-7 million in market value

Votes: 61 18.9%
  • Below average #2 d-man - worth 5.25 - 6 + million in market value

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Elite #3 d-man - worth 5 - 6 million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Average #3 d-man - worth 5 or so million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • flawed #3 d-man - worth 4-5 million in market value

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • #4 d-man - worth 3.0 -4.0 million in market value

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • #5 d-man - worth 1.5-3 million in market value

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • #6 d-man - worth 1-2 million in market value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #7 Tyson Barrie type d-man, don't even want him in the top 6.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A mis-cast is a mis-cast at the end of the day. Not sure why people are upset at the player for it.

As it stands, he's the closest we have or will come to it for the foreseeable future with no prospects or even high picks available for us to use.

Or are you thinking we should be trying out Lilly in that role, because that's literally the only option I see that may present itself in the next year-plus.

I think we have to do it by committee, but I find the Top 4 mix the Leafs have is not ideal.

Notice how we've been talking about adding another Lyubushkin to the bottom pairing but everyone is concerned that the new big fridge won't be good enough to crack the Top 6. That would suggest to me what we really need is a Pietrangelo level 6'4" ideal sized workhorse (essentially a Muzzin replacement) have your Gio, Rielly, Liljegren and then a little more size on the bottom pairing. Get a better mix. But that's a medium to long term fix.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
The only thing Rielly is elite at is allowing goals when he is on the ice. I doubt there is a single NHL defeseman that has allowed more goals against since his career began in the NHL. He is the only minus defenceman on the team while everyone else has high plus numbers. Everyone complains about Holl but defensively he is far superior to Rielly. He is the black hole of the team and as long as he logs big minutes the team will never get anywhere.

Reactions: Tlo1 and dubey

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If you didn't know beforehand that weed was decriminalized in Toronto, all you would have to do is look at the results of this poll for confirmation. :laugh:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The only thing Rielly is elite at is allowing goals when he is on the ice. I doubt there is a single NHL defeseman that has allowed more goals against since his career began in the NHL. He is the only minus defenceman on the team while everyone else has high plus numbers. Everyone complains about Holl but defensively he is far superior to Rielly. He is the black hole of the team and as long as he logs big minutes the team will never get anywhere.

That's not how it works dude.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
That's not how it works dude.

He is the only minus player on the team except for ZAR. Please explain to me how it works? He also has the worst GA out of every defender over the last decade.

So the guy is way below average defensively and doesn’t bring much offensively so what makes him a top pairing defender?

Reactions: Tlo1

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He is the only minus player on the team except for ZAR. Please explain to me how it works? He also has the worst GA out of every defender over the last decade.

So the guy is way below average defensively and doesn’t bring much offensively so what makes him a top pairing defender?

If a player plays against lighter competition (Rarely 1st line, sometimes 2nd line, frequent 3rd line, constant 4th line) for 10 minutes a night...

And another player plays against heavy competition (Constant 1st line, frequent 2nd line, sometimes 3rd line, rarely 4th line) for 20 minutes a night...

How do you think that plays into a player's plus-minus?

Note this is just even-strength, nevermind special-teams minutes.

Last edited:

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
If a player plays against lighter competition (Rarely 1st line, sometimes 2nd line, frequent 3rd line, constant 4th line) for 10 minutes a night...

And another player plays against heavy competition (Constant 1st line, frequent 2nd line, sometimes 3rd line, rarely 4th line)...

So Rielly is the only player on the team that plays against top competition? You are also over estimating the impact of quality of competition on plus/minus.

I agree +/- is a flawed stat, but when Lily is +24 and Holl is +11, Brodie +8 and Rielly is the only minus player on the team and constantly making defensive gaffes you gotta question his game.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012

And another player plays against heavy competition (Constant 1st line, frequent 2nd line, sometimes 3rd line, rarely 4th line)...

Oops double post.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So Rielly is the only player on the team that plays against top competition? You are also over estimating the impact of quality of competition on plus/minus.

I agree +/- is a flawed stat, but when Lily is +24 and Holl is +11, Brodie +8 and Rielly is the only minus player on the team and constantly making defensive gaffes you gotta question his game.

I don't think I am when factoring in both the quality and frequency of shifts a top defender takes.

The disparity between a guy like Lily and Rielly? Well, maybe that's an indication that we need to start giving a Lilly pairing more responsibility when the game is 5 on 5...

Maybe..

If his plus-minus drops suddenly from that shiny +24, then we'll be back to drawing board again, wondering how we acquire a top pairing defenceman without prospects, picks, or cap space to sign one...

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
I don't think I am when factoring in both the quality and frequency of shifts a top defender takes.

The disparity between a guy like Lily and Rielly? Well, maybe that's an indication that we need to start giving a Lilly pairing more responsibility when the game is 5 on 5...

Maybe..

If his plus-minus drops suddenly from that shiny +24, then we'll be back to drawing board again, wondering how we acquire a top pairing defenceman without prospects, picks, or cap space to sign one...

Brodie is +8. He plays against top competition. The Leafs played their best hockey of the season when Rielly was injured. This isn’t the first time this has happened.

If Rielly brought anything offensively I wouldn’t be so hard on him and despise him so much. But he doesn’t bring much to the table. He isn’t a good PP quarterback and his points are all secondary assists. He is on pace for 3 goals this year.

The team needs to acquire a top pairing defender to play with Brodie. Rielly on the 2nd pairing logging less minutes is what needs to happen if this team plans to compete with the best.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think people understand how difficult it is to be an all-situations, minute-munching top defenceman on an NHL team.

Down year for sure on the offensive side of things, he's never been that strong defensively.

Wasn't even really his calling card to begin with.
It is. And Rielly just can't cut it most nights.

We had a very ideal situation last year when they paired up Muzzin and Brodie. You didn't need Rielly to be the all situations minute muncher. With a formidable shutdown pair, Rielly didn't need to worry about hard matchups and could focus on what he does best. Even with a mediocre partner in Lyubushkin, Rielly still looked much better last year than this year.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
4th guy to skate around the rink with the cup. And again, thanks to the poster who guaranteed a cup this year, I can say that without shame.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is. And Rielly just can't cut it most nights.

We had a very ideal situation last year when they paired up Muzzin and Brodie. You didn't need Rielly to be the all situations minute muncher. With a formidable shutdown pair, Rielly didn't need to worry about hard matchups and could focus on what he does best. Even with a mediocre partner in Lyubushkin, Rielly still looked much better last year than this year.
Rielly played his best hockey last season in the playoffs. He was also injured this season and only lately is he getting his form back, expect him to be at his best again in the playoffs.

Reactions: Bomber0104

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Rielly played his best hockey last season in the playoffs. He was also injured this season and only lately is he getting his form back, expect him to be at his best again in the playoffs.
Exactly. He knows when to reign it in during the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tapping Tessa Virtue

/thread
Hard to argue with that. I have mad respect for Tessa, with someone like that you don't even have to worry that it's going to become a distraction, if anything having her at his side will only help his focus. Unless of course they break up, then we could be well and truly f***ed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad