Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Varly would be someone to consider in a backup/tandem role —- but the Avs are likely not giving up much for draft picks due to not having many higher end ones and not wanting to completely break the prospect pool.

if the Avs are going to get a backup/tandem goalie it is going to be using the b/c grade prospects that are nearing the make or break point like Kaut or Bowers. And those guys might be a win win type of thing for all involved, as they are unlikely to get a real chance with Colorado, but could still turn out.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Varly would be someone to consider in a backup/tandem role —- but the Avs are likely not giving up much for draft picks due to not having many higher end ones and not wanting to completely break the prospect pool.

if the Avs are going to get a backup/tandem goalie it is going to be using the b/c grade prospects that are nearing the make or break point like Kaut or Bowers. And those guys might be a win win type of thing for all involved, as they are unlikely to get a real chance with Colorado, but could still turn out.
I don't see any team giving up anything of value for the likes of Kaut / Bowers unless its an average / below average backup goaltender. The Avs are not in a position to bolster their goaltending. They have put their eggs in the basket with Kuemper and will need to see that one through. Kuemper is 13w and 5 losses. Why the over-reaction?

Reactions: McJedi

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Yeah I wouldn’t take Varly for free at this point. He’s a decent goalie who disappears in the postseason and has major injury concerns.

Going backwards is not how the Avs can expect to succeed in the future.

None of this is true.

He just took Isles to back to Back conference finals.

he was injured at the start of training camp, why the slow start.
he has mainly stayed healthy during his time with the isles.

Varly stays put. Good luck with your goalie tandem

Reactions: Alienblood

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't know what they should do but they need to do something...this team hasn't won since December 14 and Kuemper's only got 4 wins for the entire month of December. Definitely time to panic. I don't care which 36 year-old goalie they get so long as they get one...Byram, Newhook, Toews, all 1st rounders until 2030...they should all be on the table.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I don't see any team giving up anything of value for the likes of Kaut / Bowers unless its an average / below average backup goaltender. The Avs are not in a position to bolster their goaltending. They have put their eggs in the basket with Kuemper and will need to see that one through. Kuemper is 13w and 5 losses. Why the over-reaction?

Exactly.

But I think they will still make that trade for a backup goalie. True contenders are going to look to go into the stretch with 3 goalies this year due to Covid. Colorado doubly so given the injury histories of both goalies on the roster.

they are not going to go get an ace. They need a 2nd/3rd goalie that is viable to play lots of games if needed. Not win the games, just play them and not lose them.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't know what they should do but they need to do something...this team hasn't won since December 14 and Kuemper's only got 4 wins for the entire month of December. Definitely time to panic. I don't care which 36 year-old goalie they get so long as they get one...Byram, Newhook, Toews, all 1st rounders until 2030...they should all be on the table.
Add Makar, Nuke, Landy and Kadri to list of assets on the table.

Reactions: BKarchitect

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

We're 500+ posts into this thread, and pretty much every Avs fan seems to be saying that there's no reason to over-react at this point. The only people claiming otherwise are the usual fans who think their goalie is the only possibly solution to winning the Cup and therefore worth their weight in gold in a trade.

With that said, if the Avs could get an average backup to be our 3rd stringer and only give up Kaut or Bowers, I think that's a move to strongly consider around the TDL. We need better insurance against injuries, not a drastic change to our healthy roster.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
We're 500+ posts into this thread, and pretty much every Avs fan seems to be saying that there's no reason to over-react at this point. The only people claiming otherwise are the usual fans who think their goalie is the only possibly solution to winning the Cup and therefore worth their weight in gold in a trade.

With that said, if the Avs could get an average backup to be our 3rd stringer and only give up Kaut or Bowers, I think that's a move to strongly consider around the TDL. We need better insurance against injuries, not a drastic change to our healthy roster.

What about that Price fella

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Call us.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
All that matters is playoff performance, but I wouldn’t expect Avs fans to get that concept! ;)

The thing I don't get is how a guy with zero Cups and zero Smythes who needed special covid rules to even make the Finals for the first time in his 14 year career looks great based on his "playoff performance". Or are you saying that having the 7th best SV% (and 9th most wins) among the 13 goalies who have played 50+ playoff games over the last decade (since 2011-12) is what makes him great?

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
The thing I don't get is how a guy with zero Cups and zero Smythes who needed special covid rules to even make the Finals for the first time in his 14 year career looks great based on his "playoff performance". Or are you saying that having the 7th best SV% (and 9th most wins) among the 13 goalies who have played 50+ playoff games over the last decade (since 2011-12) is what makes him great?
How about some relevant stats instead of considering how Price played in 2011-2012 in the playoff?

Since 2016-2017 (the past 4 playoffs), Price ranks 2nd in SV% (the first being Jake Allen, another Habs goaltender on the market by the way) for goalies who have played at least 10 games (yes I went that low, if you go over 20 games he ranks first).
That's 2nd in goalies with 10+ games on 30 goalies.

On top of that among goaltenders with 20+games since 2016-2017, he ranks 1st for GAA on 19 goalies.

Stats are easy to manipulate for them to fit your narrative, but trying to make Price look like an average playoff goaltender is just plain dishonest.

That's without even considering the fact that Price just came from a Stanley Cup final appareance last season and was considered a Conne Smyth favorite for literally carrying a bubble team like the Habs 3 wins away from a Stanley Cup.

The reason Price is hard to trade is relied to his situation this season and his contract. Has nothing to do with his play.

Last edited:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

as much as I'm not a huge fan, Jake Allen is MISTER Backup.. but I don't think you'd want him as your 3rd. Reimer would be a good get as well

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
How about some relevant stats instead of considering how Price played in 2011-2012 in the playoff?

Since 2016-2017 (the past 4 playoffs), Price ranks 2nd in SV% (the first being Jake Allen, another Habs goaltender on the market by the way) for goalies who have played at least 10 games (yes I went that low, if you go over 20 games he ranks first).
That's 2nd in goalies with 10+ games on 30 goalies.

On top of that among goaltenders with 20+games since 2016-2017, he ranks 1st for GAA on 19 goalies.

Stats are easy to manipulate for them to fit your narrative, but trying to make Price look like an average playoff goaltender is just plain dishonest.

That's without even considering the fact that Price just came from a Stanley Cup final appareance last season and was considered a Conne Smyth favorite for literally carrying a bubble team like the Habs 3 wins away from a Stanley Cup.

The reason Price is hard to trade is relied to his situation this season and his contract. Has nothing to do with his play.

All of these "relevant stats" are about as meaningful as MacKinnon's 4th best of all time career PPG rate in the playoffs. It's a nice stat, but hasn't resulted in winning the Cup, so who really cares?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
as much as I'm not a huge fan, Jake Allen is MISTER Backup.. but I don't think you'd want him as your 3rd. Reimer would be a good get as well

If we have injuries before the TDL and need a backup instead of a 3rd stringer, Allen and Reimer would definitely be on the list, but so would a bunch of guys who are pending UFAs and could probably be had for less, which is probably the price range we'll be shopping in. I don't see Sakic spending significant assets on a mid season goalie trade after giving up a 1st + Timmins for Kuemper.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
All of these "relevant stats" are about as meaningful as MacKinnon's 4th best of all time career PPG rate in the playoffs. It's a nice stat, but hasn't resulted in winning the Cup, so who really cares?
Oh because now SV% don't matter, funny how you were the one to bring it up first to discredit Price's work.

Do you follow hockey or just your team? To win a cup, you need elite players at all position, it's a team concept. A goaltender by himself can't do all the work if he is behind a weak team.

That Habs have been a mostly a bubble team for the last 4 season and despite that, Price maintained the best stats among goaltender for SV% and GAA in playoff. Says a lot about the quality of goalkeeper he is.

And are you really downplaying Price value by comparing him to Mackinnon, who is by most considered the third best player in the league? If guys like Pastrnak (#3 scorer in playoff since 2016-2017) or Mackinnon (#5 scorer in playoff since 2016-2017) were on the market, you can bet all contenders would call for these name despite them never winning a cup or a Conn Smyth.

Price, as a goaltender, has been as clutch as them in the playoff in the last 4 seasons. The only reason his value is lowish right now is his contract and his current rehabilitation.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Playing your best hockey in the playoffs and putting the team on your shoulders in a cup run makes you great. But seeing that the Avs haven't had a great goalie since Roy, i can understand why you are unable to comprehend. :)

In Price's last 5 playoffs he averaged .925% save percentage. That's pretty great to me considering the teams he carried....

Your hate for Price is comical. Is he worth his contract? of course not. Is he a great goaltender. Of course he is. Once you are in the playoffs, he gives you a chance at a cup no matter how crap the team is around him.

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Playing your best hockey in the playoffs and putting the team on your shoulders in a cup run makes you great. But seeing that the Avs haven't had a great goalie since Roy, i can understand why you are unable to comprehend. :)

LOL!

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

In Price's last 5 playoffs he averaged .925% save percentage. That's pretty great to me considering the teams he carried....

Your hate for Price is comical. Is he worth his contract? of course not. Is he a great goaltender. Of course he is. Once you are in the playoffs, he gives you a chance at a cup no matter how crap the team is around him.

Based on the results, the Habs haven't had a great goalie since Roy either. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad