Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Oh because now SV% don't matter, funny how you were the one to bring it up first to discredit Price's work.

Do you follow hockey or just your team? To win a cup, you need elite players at all position, it's a team concept. A goaltender by himself can't do all the work if he is behind a weak team.

That Habs have been a mostly a bubble team for the last 4 season and despite that, Price maintained the best stats among goaltender for SV% and GAA in playoff. Says a lot about the quality of goalkeeper he is.

And are you really downplaying Price value by comparing him to Mackinnon, who is by most considered the third best player in the league? If guys like Pastrnak (#3 scorer in playoff since 2016-2017) or Mackinnon (#5 scorer in playoff since 2016-2017) were on the market, you can bet all contenders would call for these name despite them never winning a cup or a Conn Smyth.

Price, as a goaltender, has been as clutch as them in the playoff in the last 4 seasons. The only reason his value is lowish right now is his contract and his current rehabilitation.

Does having a good playoff SV% change the fact he hasn't won the Cup?

Does having a good playoff SV% change the fact that he hasn't legitimately earned a playoff berth in 4 seasons and only got in due to special covid rules?

Does blaming his team change either of these facts?

Do your laughable (but not unexpected) personal insults change anything?

Or can we agree that his contract is horrible, his rehab is a massive concern, and his playoff SV% doesn't move the needle in the slightest when it comes to his value? He's currently untradeable, as has been beaten to death.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Playing your best hockey in the playoffs and putting the team on your shoulders in a cup run makes you great. But seeing that the Avs haven't had a great goalie since Roy, i can understand why you are unable to comprehend. :)

In Price's last 5 playoffs he averaged .925% save percentage. That's pretty great to me considering the teams he carried....

Your hate for Price is comical. Is he worth his contract? of course not. Is he a great goaltender. Of course he is. Once you are in the playoffs, he gives you a chance at a cup no matter how crap the team is around him.
If the Avs traded for a goalie that plays for Montreal, it would be Allen over Price 10 times in 10. Allen would fit far better into their cap situation and roster needs. I don’t see it with Allen but it’s possible if Frankie gets hurt again.

Price to the Avs is as nonsensical and unrealistic as McDavid or Jeff Skinner to the Avs. These are things that will never happen nor are they even being discussed by people involved with NHL decision making. There are zero NHL teams evaluating Cary Price as a trade candidate.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oh because now SV% don't matter, funny how you were the one to bring it up first to discredit Price's work.

Do you follow hockey or just your team? To win a cup, you need elite players at all position, it's a team concept. A goaltender by himself can't do all the work if he is behind a weak team.

That Habs have been a mostly a bubble team for the last 4 season and despite that, Price maintained the best stats among goaltender for SV% and GAA in playoff. Says a lot about the quality of goalkeeper he is.

And are you really downplaying Price value by comparing him to Mackinnon, who is by most considered the third best player in the league? If guys like Pastrnak (#3 scorer in playoff since 2016-2017) or Mackinnon (#5 scorer in playoff since 2016-2017) were on the market, you can bet all contenders would call for these name despite them never winning a cup or a Conn Smyth.

Price, as a goaltender, has been as clutch as them in the playoff in the last 4 seasons. The only reason his value is lowish right now is his contract and his current rehabilitation.
That contract isn’t going anywhere until it expires so you’re saying his value lowish until his contract runs out.

You’re right about that.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Goaltending probably isn't their issue if they're winning games. They play a style that leads to a lot of goals for and a lot of goals against. Any goalie is gonna have a lower save % with that team.

TippinOn44s

Oct 8, 2013
Kuemper has been decent in his last 4, I think if he settles in the Avs will be fine this year.

upload_2022-1-3_17-24-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-3_17-23-58.png
    upload_2022-1-3_17-23-58.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 1

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean if you could wave a magic wand and guarantee a healthy Kuemper and healthy Francousz - the Avs wouldn't need to do anything. Darcy is 5-0 and has a 0.925 SV% since the beginning of December (and that includes a mediocre game to start that month against the Rangers). He's 10-1 in his last 11. Francousz was 22-7-4 last year with a 0.922 SV%. He's a terrific backup and probably could be a starter based on talent.

The problem for the Avs is availability not talent. They don't need (and aren't going to) mortgage a bunch of assets to bring in some aging vet or high contract "name" goalie to "save them". What they need for the post-season is a dependable "second backup" goalie who can give them a better buffer againt complete meltdown come playoff time than the trash they have had to resort to during the duration of Francousz's injury (Johansson, Miska, etc). And they don't even need to be pressing to find this goalie anytime soon. They can wait till the trade deadline and then pickup an available option at that point.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Goaltending probably isn't their issue if they're winning games. They play a style that leads to a lot of goals for and a lot of goals against. Any goalie is gonna have a lower save % with that team.

Phillip Grubauer was a Vezina finalist last season.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

Tell me you're not watching the Avs without telling me you're not watching the Avs. They are one of the best teams in the league at limiting high danger scoring chances :laugh:

I just love how people parrot this nonsense in every thread despite the fact that it has no basis in reality.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:laugh:

And yet Grubauer was a Vezina nominee with "that team" last year. That team has the lowest scoring chances against in the league. That team has the 2nd lowest xGA in the league. That team has the 2nd lowest High Danger Scoring chances against in the league.

But yes, continue showcasing your complete lack of education on anything related to that team. Its amusing for the rest of us.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
:laugh:

And yet Grubauer was a Vezina nominee with "that team" last year. That team has the lowest scoring chances against in the league. That team has the 2nd lowest xGA in the league. That team has the 2nd lowest High Danger Scoring chances against in the league.

But yes, continue showcasing your complete lack of education on anything related to that team. Its amusing for the rest of us.

Grubauer shined in an absolutely terrible division. He was really good don’t get me wrong but kuemper is just as capable in the grand scheme of things.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Grubauer shined in an absolutely terrible division. He was really good don’t get me wrong but kuemper is just as capable in the grand scheme of things.

No indication yet that this is even remotely true.

That said, he just needs to be average. We don't even need Vezina caliber goaltending to win. Average is all we need.

So far Kuemper hasn't even shown to be capable of that but I think he will get better over time.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No indication yet that this is even remotely true.

That said, he just needs to be average. We don't even need Vezina caliber goaltending to win. Average is all we need.

So far Kuemper hasn't even shown to be capable of that but I think he will get better over time.
Grubs was terrible to start his Avs career. His first season was disappointing. It wasn’t until Grubs 2nd and 3rd season that he settled in.

Kuemper is 14-5 with a 91% save percentage. He’s already adjusting faster than Grubs did. Avs are fine in net.

between his very good record and so-so save % (he’s been average and trending above that), Kuemper is doing more than enough to own the Avs net. Frankie now backing him up with Toews and Byram in the line-up, Avs have a ton of fire power available right now.

Sakic can sit in his office all day and not answer his phone. What he should be doing is calling the Eagles to call up guys like Bowers and Maltsev into the line up in place of the very disappointing Darren Helm or worthless macDermid for those nights the other squad doesn’t have their own goon

Last edited:
Reactions: Newusername

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Olausson for Quick at 50% retention.
That's a hard no for me. Olausson is our remplacement for Burakovsky they're very similar IMO and is our best forward prospect. Trading Olausson handcuff us forward wise since we would've nothing else in the pipeline. We would've to force in the FA and well Sakic kinda never wins the biddings :laugh:

Oilers might be interested with how they're playing right now.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
If the Avs traded for a goalie that plays for Montreal, it would be Allen over Price 10 times in 10. Allen would fit far better into their cap situation and roster needs. I don’t see it with Allen but it’s possible if Frankie gets hurt again.

Price to the Avs is as nonsensical and unrealistic as McDavid or Jeff Skinner to the Avs. These are things that will never happen nor are they even being discussed by people involved with NHL decision making. There are zero NHL teams evaluating Cary Price as a trade candidate.
The Habs were praying Seattle would claim him in the expansion draft.

Problem is he isn't even worth it for free.

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
Tell me you're not watching the Avs without telling me you're not watching the Avs. They are one of the best teams in the league at limiting high danger scoring chances :laugh:

I just love how people parrot this nonsense in every thread despite the fact that it has no basis in reality.
I looked it up on Hockey-Reference and was surprised to see the AVS had fewer HD chances but also have given up fewer HD chances than league average (5 v 5). Granted HD alone doesn't tell the full story of how a team plays.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I looked it up on Hockey-Reference and was surprised to see the AVS had fewer HD chances but also have given up fewer HD chances than league average (5 v 5). Granted HD alone doesn't tell the full story of how a team plays.
They are a top-notch defensive team in global and the absolute best at transition D. They just don't allow high danger shot attempts, but when people first think of them they think of firewagon hockey, which hasn't got a thing with how they play. They have great skaters all along the lineup, they have defenders who turn defense into offense in an instant, they don't need to cheat defensively, or play a risky game to catch other teams flat-footed, because you have Makar, Toews, Girard or Byram transitioning the puck. Not to mention that they play like a unit of 5 out there rather than 2D-3F, you regularly can see wingers drop low playing the role of a center defensively if the center gets caught high up, covering for pinching D etc. Plus, given their speed, they can be more aggressive when transitioning because they can recover with ease.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price is the goalie you want. He is Patrick Roy 2.0. Its hid as Roy never played for a bad team. Price as played for some lousy teams. Roy never won the Hart, Price has. Looked how Price played once the Habs put semi-decent team in front of him? Took them to Finals. Look how Price played in Olympics or WJC. He was arguably best goalie to ever play in those tournaments. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, or whomever you want to compare him to.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
One issue with Kuemper is that his rebound control can (and often is) abysmal. Even an average wrister can end up bouncing off him and sitting in a less than ideal spot.
One minor issue with the Avs defensive system is that they are often not collapsing to the crease to clear those rebounds.

If Kuemper can clean that up a bit and Francouz can take on more workload now that he is back, I think Sakic can feel confident just adding a decent 2B type for the taxi squad come the deadline. If one of the two gets injured again in the next couple months though, I think he'll swing for a Fleury/Quick type acquisition.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Price is the goalie you want. He is Patrick Roy 2.0. Its hid as Roy never played for a bad team. Price as played for some lousy teams. Roy never won the Hart, Price has. Looked how Price played once the Habs put semi-decent team in front of him? Took them to Finals. Look how Price played in Olympics or WJC. He was arguably best goalie to ever play in those tournaments. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, or whomever you want to compare him to.
Here we go again. Avs literally gave up a 1st rounder and Timmins for Kuemper which he is starting to look good IMO. Price has yet to play a game which is concerning with his salary and the assets that would've to be given because I don't think there's a possibility where Habs retains something like 50% and doesn't get something valuable. That's why most people say that he is untradeable. Habs won't retain 50% if they don't get something that is worth the retention and other teams won't give up premium assets for an aging goalie that hasn't played a game so far this season and is signed until he's 39.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Habs were praying Seattle would claim him in the expansion draft.

Problem is he isn't even worth it for free.

Habs fans love to remind me Price was almost taken by Seattle and is the goalie for Canada at the 2022 Olympics.

And if my aunt had balls.

there are no NHL teams that will trade for that Price contract. That’s going to be hard to move at 50% retention. Even after Price shuts out Russian, USA and Finland at the Beijing games next month. And Seattle conducts their do over expansion draft on April 1st.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Do you ever get tired of repeating the same bad faith arguments? Or do you honestly believe anything you're saying?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I like the idea of getting Varly back as insurance. I wouldn’t give up much to get him, but if he’s available for cheap I’d go for it.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad