Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I like the idea of getting Varly back as insurance. I wouldn’t give up much to get him, but if he’s available for cheap I’d go for it.

He has another year at a $5m cap hit, so he better be a bit more than just insurance. Would he be the starter next year, or a $5m backup that makes it harder to afford a real starter?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Price is the goalie you want. He is Patrick Roy 2.0. Its hid as Roy never played for a bad team. Price as played for some lousy teams. Roy never won the Hart, Price has. Looked how Price played once the Habs put semi-decent team in front of him? Took them to Finals. Look how Price played in Olympics or WJC. He was arguably best goalie to ever play in those tournaments. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, or whomever you want to compare him to.
The Avs shouldn’t/wouldn’t take Price, at 50% retention, for free. That’s still a bad contract thay will age poorly for an addict, now in his mid 30s with serious motivational issues that render him a well below average regular season goalie. Also coming off knee surgery.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The Avs shouldn’t/wouldn’t take Price, at 50% retention, for free. That’s still a bad contract thay will age poorly for an addict, now in his mid 30s with serious motivational issues that render him a well below average regular season goalie. Also coming off knee surgery.

While I'm not going to argue the valuation here, I can say that your insistence on emphasizing the bolded in every other post is just weird at this point. While it is a consideration, it won't be an obsession if he completes his program.

if there is one thing I can speak to is that there are plenty of "undisclosed" addicts in the NHL doing just fine, and that a recovering addict is often even more motivated to prove their worth to a world that is quick to use that condition against them.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That's a hard no for me. Olausson is our remplacement for Burakovsky they're very similar IMO and is our best forward prospect. Trading Olausson handcuff us forward wise since we would've nothing else in the pipeline. We would've to force in the FA and well Sakic kinda never wins the biddings :laugh:

Oilers might be interested with how they're playing right now.

Can't blame me for trying! :laugh:

Reactions: Spilot23

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Whatever they do, or don’t do, they should’ve done it 3 years ago.

It’s always funny to look back at how fans of contending teams want to hang on to prospect who 9 times out of 10 turn into garbage rather than trading for actual NHL talent.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

It’s always funny to look back at how fans of contending teams want to hang on to prospect who 9 times out of 10 turn into garbage rather than trading for actual NHL talent.

Wait until you find out about that time four years ago that they traded for Phillip Grubauer!

Reactions: Mac Attack

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Man just had one of the greatest post-seasons as a goalie you witnessed in your young life, you think a knee surgery will make him worse?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

So in 2018-19 when they ran with a 1-2-3 of Varlamov - Grubauer - Francouz?
Gotcha

Reactions: PAZ

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
No indication yet that this is even remotely true.

That said, he just needs to be average. We don't even need Vezina caliber goaltending to win. Average is all we need.

So far Kuemper hasn't even shown to be capable of that but I think he will get better over time.

The last 5 games aren’t indicative? You must’ve forgot about grubauer outside of last years covid division.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He has another year at a $5m cap hit, so he better be a bit more than just insurance. Would he be the starter next year, or a $5m backup that makes it harder to afford a real starter?

NYI fan here - I think Varly is ready to reduce to a backup role. Don't get me wrong, he's really turned around a rusty start after his injury. But I don't think he has it in him to start every other day in the playoffs. I think he'd get hurt.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Man just had one of the greatest post-seasons as a goalie you witnessed in your young life, you think a knee surgery will make him worse?
Drug addiction, age, lousy regular season attention and effort. Lousy regular season save %. Lots of major red flags with Price. That’s before you factor in the leagues worst contract.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Drug addiction, age, lousy regular season attention and effort. Lousy regular season save %. Lots of major red flags with Price. That’s before you factor in the leagues worst contract.

Price is a playoff god, arguably the greatest in our generation as far as longevity goes. Colorado has the team to get him through the regular season with ease.

And then imagine him playing behind a team like Colorado in the playoffs? Hello Patrick Roy

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Price is a playoff god, arguably the greatest in our generation as far as longevity goes. Colorado has the team to get him through the regular season with ease.

And then imagine him playing behind a team like Colorado in the playoffs? Hello Patrick Roy
If he’s available, mentally there, physically there and not relapsed.

here is a far better and more practical idea. Avs continue with Kuemper, whom is now 14-5 and playing good hockey. Makes $3.5mm.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

A guy with a career 43-45 record in the playoffs, who has zero Cups and zero Smythes and needs special covid rules to even make the playoffs is a "playoff god"? He has a nice SV%, but hasn't done anything to warrant deification.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad