Speculation: What happens with Tarasenko now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Insurance pays his remaining 2m of salary. And LTIR “essentially” takes the entire cap hit us off your books. Do you know how LTIR works?

Also, Blues ownership saves a butt load of real money.

By the way other Blues fans can comment. This wasn’t just for you and I know you don’t speak for them all.

LTIR doesnt magically create additional cap space, it allows them to potentially replace the cap hit. If they trade 91 they will have around $25MM in CAP space. They would need to add $19MM+ in cap hits in order for the LTIR contract to make any difference. They would need to add $25MM in cap hits to get full advantage of the LTIR contract. If they add less than $25MM the LTIR contract creates dead cap space, which isnt a benefit at all.

Yes the Blues owners would save actual cash on salaries but removing Tarasenko from the roster makes the team worse. The worse the team is the less revenues they generate. The actual savings are even less when you get into the nuances of sports ownership and tax codes.

I am not going to speculate on the value of Tarasenko, but trading him for an LTIR contract likely has little benefit to the Blues

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well like I said if he bounces back his value will only go up and his contract won't look so bad. Besides that he asked for a trade so his trade list won't be too limited.

I think you totally misread what him asking for a trade means. I think he can score a lot of goals he still has a cap hit really hard for any competitive spending to the cap team to fit.

Yes, Tarasenko asked for a trade that does not mean that he is giving control of the situation to St Louis. I would expect Tarasenko's agent is calling the few teams and seeing what might be done.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
LTIR doesnt magically create additional cap space, it allows them to potentially replace the cap hit. If they trade 91 they will have around $25MM in CAP space. They would need to add $19MM+ in cap hits in order for the LTIR contract to make any difference. They would need to add $25MM in cap hits to get full advantage of the LTIR contract. If they add less than $19MM the LTIR contract is just dead cap space.

Yes the Blues owners would save actual cash on salaries but removing Tarasenko from the roster makes the team worse. The worse the team is the less revenues they generate. The actual savings are even less when you get into the nuances of sports ownership and tax codes.

Yes, that’s why I worded it as “essentially.” It’s one year of 2m in cash picked up by insurance and 6m cap hit that goes on LTIR.

As per the original post, this would be a mechanism to allow the Blues to NOT have to retain OR take back a cap hit so that they may pursue Landeskog or another player.

At this point, if the Blues want to try and maximize the return from a Tarasenko trade, they would be better off playing him and seeking a trade at a later date. That definitely comes with it’s own risks. But it’s likely the only way they will get a solid value on a return.

If they want a clean break and to get the cap hit off so that they may use it elsewhere, maybe try waivers first. If that doesn’t work, consider the above.

Last edited:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
With his no trade and contract, trading him at the deadline would be a nightmare
How would it be any more of a nightmare than now?

1. He would have to be healthy, so that’s one question mark eliminated.

2. Only playoff teams would be trading for him so he would most likely waive for any of those teams.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
How would it be any more of a nightmare than now?

1. He would have to be healthy, so that’s one question mark eliminated.

2. Only playoff teams would be trading for him so he would most likely waive for any of those teams.

If he plays all the games gets like 25 30 goals by deadline and with 1.5 years remaining will he pull more or just typical rental price. In your opinion

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yes, that’s why I worded it as “essentially.” It’s one year of 2m in cash picked up by insurance and 6m cap hit that goes on LTIR.

As per the original post, this would be a mechanism to allow the Blues to NOT have to retain OR take back a cap hit so that they may pursue Landeskog or another player.

At this point, if the Blues want to try and maximize the return from a Tarasenko trade, they would be better off playing him and seeking a trade at a later date. That definitely comes with it’s own risks. But it’s likely the only way they will get a solid value on a return.

If they want a clean break and to get the cap hit off so that they may use it elsewhere, maybe try waivers first. If that doesn’t work, consider the above.
At this point with bozak Schwartz and hoffman not resigning and also losing dun that's like 17 mil in cap give or take. Not sure exactly what is going on but lande and Tank wouldn't be an issue. I guess it all depends on how things play put. I was surprised by how many defenders were taken. 12 so I am wondering if wheeling and dealing changes anything at all.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
That’s pretty much a dream scenario as he’d be pacing for close to 40 goals. Blues are probably in a playoff spot with that contribution so no, I’m not trading him for a rental price. How unhappy could he really be in that dream scenario?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
No no and no. This has been said several times. Blues are looking to clear his cap and take a run at landeskog vorcek doesn't help that. Blues need to get younger not older.
Voracek is significantly better than Landeskog and will be making the same or less. Voracek is 31, Landeskog is 28. Not much of a difference. This response makes no sense

Reactions: captainpaxil

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Been watching the Flyers since the 70's my friend. Lived 3 blocks from the Spectrum. Voracek (and a few other clowns) are the reason I no longer support the team. Like I said, the most overrated forward in the league -- and BY FAR the most overrated Flyer in history. Giroux is a close second.
This guy is that typical negative delusional Philly fan we all love to laugh at

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Voracek is significantly better than Landeskog and will be making the same or less. Voracek is 31, Landeskog is 28. Not much of a difference. This response makes no sense

Seriously you are trying to compare landeskog to vorcek. Just don't. Blues do not need or want vorcek. If he is so great just keep him. Seriously

Landy 28yo
19/20
21g 23a 44p 54gp
20/21
20g 32a 54 54gp

Vorcek 31yo
19/20
12g 44a 56p 69gp
20/21
9g 34a 43p 53gp

If ypu cant tell the difference then not sure what to tell you man.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
I think something around Tank, Bortuzzo, and a pick to the Islanders for Mayfield. Blues also retain maybe 1.5 million of Tank’s cap. Bringing Mayfield home saves some face with the locals...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We've already seen. Blues: "Here take Tarasenko for free." Expansion team looking for offence: "No thanks." Add to it that Armstrong was trying to move him before the ED and you see reality. He can be traded, but not unless the Blues are taking back similar money with similar question marks.
Or retaining millions per year.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Since Tank controls who he goes too, I think a call from Bbinz might be in order.

He said play right besides Suzuki and CC. And if he's really healed...God takes pity on goalies..

Value is at the best, a 1st.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That’s pretty much a dream scenario as he’d be pacing for close to 40 goals. Blues are probably in a playoff spot with that contribution so no, I’m not trading him for a rental price. How unhappy could he really be in that dream scenario?

Remember a guy called...PLD?

Tanks NMC gives him absolute control.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
dude, you’re in dreamland if you think we’re getting something substantial back for him. Mayfield is rock solid and cheap!

Yeah Mayfield was awesome in the playoffs. His cost to performance ratio is ridiculous. I wouldn’t say the player himself is untouchable, but his 1.4m for two years does make him

Reactions: StlBill

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Yeah Mayfield was awesome in the playoffs. His cost to performance ratio is ridiculous. I wouldn’t say the player himself is untouchable, but his 1.4m for two years does.

agree, he looked like a right handed version of JayBo from our cup run. Didn’t bring much/any offense, but killed major minute, especially important minutes. He is from here and fits Berube’s system perfectly. I’d do the trade I proposed in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad