NHL Board of Governors to approve opening of expansion process; Atlanta and Houston believed to be leading candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
People arguing talent dilution when hockey is the second-most played sport of the big-5 in the world

More countries play hockey than basketball, baseball, and American football combined

Just admit you dont know shit if youre arguing talent dilution lol

100%. There are so many decent players (not superstars obviously) in Europe/KHL and probably in the AHL aswell who could find a role in the NHL.

Everytime we have an expansion somebody like William Karlsson or McCann suddenly gets an opportunity to emerge.

Also with the potential talent dilution the superstars will end up standing out even more. I thought fans enjoyed the increase in scoring but now it's sudddenly a problem because people just feel the need to be negative?

Reactions: ellja3

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
cant wait for atlanta to fail again tbh be another team for canada that and the atlanta posters on here are smug af lol goodluck with your 3rd try . and welcome houston if it happens
coming from a sens fan is crazy you guys make the league no money whatsoever , only arizona generate less revenue than you and they have just ceased to exist

Reactions: dj4aces

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
100%. There are so many decent players (not superstars obviously) in Europe/KHL and probably in the AHL aswell who could find a role in the NHL.

Everytime we have an expansion somebody like William Karlsson or McCann suddenly gets an opportunity to emerge.

Also with the potential talent dilution the superstars will end up standing out even more. I thought fans enjoyed the increase in scoring but now it's sudddenly a problem because people just feel the need to be negative?
Not everybody enjoys the inflated increased scoring. And not everyone wants a watered down league. Some of us enjoy watching the cream of the crop compete against eachother. So you can understand why people don't want 50ish non NHLers joining the league

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
They got the Rangers to accept the Islanders and Devils. Crazy to me that the Leafs would be capable of blocking this.
They convinced the Rangers to accept the Isles, with indemnification, because the WHA was viewed as a threat.

As for the Rangers (and Isles, and Flyers) accepting the Devils, it took years of negotiation between the four organizations before something was finally settled and the Rockies were able to move east. Again, indemnification. The Devils paid out a hefty sum.

Considering how valuable the Leafs media market is, it won't be cheap. Rest assured, MLSE will want every penny they feel they deserve.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They got the Rangers to accept the Islanders and Devils. Crazy to me that the Leafs would be capable of blocking this.

I don’t really see how decisions 40-50 years ago are relevant, TBH. The Leafs are a $3B company that brings $300m revenue in each year. The economics are different.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I can't believe Atlanta is any serious discussion. I say go to KC before giving Atlanta a chance at a 3rd failure.

Houston makes a bit of sense. Wonder if you could make somewhere like Boise, ID work to try to capitalize on the rocky mountain region?
Denver and Salt Lake City have that region covered. Don't think Boise is big enough. It's metropolitan area is about 750,000 people.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
They convinced the Rangers to accept the Isles, with indemnification, because the WHA was viewed as a threat.

As for the Rangers (and Isles, and Flyers) accepting the Devils, it took years of negotiation between the four organizations before something was finally settled and the Rockies were able to move east. Again, indemnification. The Devils paid out a hefty sum.

Considering how valuable the Leafs media market is, it won't be cheap. Rest assured, MLSE will want every penny they feel they deserve.

yep. the devils paid 12.5M to the rangers, islanders and flyers... (40.8M in 20224 dollars)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad