What happened to Brodeur's legacy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people saying best of all time are meaning the best in the modern NHL/90s onwards. This is one of the usual disconnects that happens between older people on this forum and the large amount of 90s kids.

instead of asking for clarification on what the poster means people are lazy and go straight to the "Lol that terrible take".
Like 90% of the people disagreeing with him being top 3 all time are doing so specifically because they are considering Plante/Sawchuk/Hall/Dryden/Tretiak.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people saying best of all time are meaning the best in the modern NHL/90s onwards. This is one of the usual disconnects that happens between older people on this forum and the large amount of 90s kids.

instead of asking for clarification on what the poster means people are lazy and go straight to the "Lol that terrible take".
Words/phrases actually have meanings. If you mean post-90s, just say that. But claiming somebody's top 3 all-time while ignoring nearly 70% of the league's history will rightfully attract some backlash.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hockey hipsters making dime a dozen “strength of team” arguments like they’re hockey intellectuals.

Reactions: ReHabs

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Words/phrases actually have meanings. If you mean post-90s, just say that. But claiming somebody's top 3 all-time while ignoring nearly 70% of the league's history will rightfully attract some backlash.
it's the internet, The place where people skip over details because they assume everyone understands things the same as them. Why bring up something when its so obvious.:thumbu:

Older hockey watchers automatically include the players they watched "back in the day"

Younger watchers only really care about recent history.

Hockey historians want wait in the shadows ready to say "ACKTUALLY".

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I think the impact Brodeur's intangibles had on the game and the way his team played will always be challenged due to how difficult it is to measure and how statistically driven everything is now. Many of Brodeur's teammates always said how vocal he was, how he would coordinate positioning from the net. His skills with the puck were implemented into his playing style and personally, I take this into consideration when comparing him to the other top netminders. This style factored into his longevity, the aforementioned penalty suppression, shot suppression and even his opponents strategy. All those things impact his career statistics but tend to get overlooked if you're not watching him play. In the Athletics recent top 99 Brodeur was ranked #21 (3rd behind Hasek, then Roy).

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

7wkc73.jpg

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
To me is number 3 after Hasek and Roy. marty played behind a trap with hof defensemen. I remember back in the 90s i would skip devil games at the coliseum, not because the isles were bad and the devs were good it's just that i didn't want to see 1-0 snoozefests and i have been to plenty of 1-0 games that were very exciting.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
it's the internet, The place where people skip over details because they assume everyone understands things the same as them. Why bring up something when its so obvious.:thumbu:

Older hockey watchers automatically include the players they watched "back in the day"

Younger watchers only really care about recent history.

Hockey historians want wait in the shadows ready to say "ACKTUALLY".
It's not as obvious as you think. Expecting people to assume where you're coming from instead of just saying it yourself is kinda lazy. Things would be much easier if people didn't just skip over those details.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Back to the Brodeur talk!

I think longevity is being heavily discounted here. He was a great goalie from 1994 to 2012. He went from taking the Rangers to the brink to going battling a young Jonathan Quick to two overtimes and won two games when he was 40 years old.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
It's not as obvious as you think. Expecting people to assume where you're coming from instead of just saying it yourself is kinda lazy. Things would be much easier if people didn't just skip over those details.
My intent is not to say that its obvious, Just that its part of the human condition and the internet exacerbates it and that we should be aware of that.

If something someone says/posts sounds crazy then people should ask for clarification. Assuming is lazy but so is assuming that someone is just crazy instead of digging deeper.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Devils played extremely boring hockey for a good period of time in the 90s and early 2000’s….the fact they scored a lot of goals one year doesn’t change that. You do realize you pulled out a complete outlier year for them. They scored 295 goals in 2001, but only 205 in 2002

As I mentioned, the Arnott years were fun.

1993-94: 306 (2/26)
1994-95: 136 (13/26)
1995-96: 215 (25/26)
1996-97: 231 (16/26)
1997-98: 225 (9/26)
1998-99: 248 (2/27)
1999-00: 251 (2/28)
2000-01: 295 (1/30)
2001-02: 205 (20/30)
2002-03: 216 (14/30)
2003-04: 213 (14/30)

Again, I'm just pointing out that people believed a general caricature that the Devils were always like the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. If you want to call the 2003 Devils boring, I wouldn't disagree with you. But I just point out that there was that pocket of time when the Devils had a better amount of skill than the typical fan gives them credit for. It's almost like they had it predetermined that it was boring.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
If something someone says/posts sounds crazy then people should ask for clarification. Assuming is lazy but so is assuming that someone is just crazy instead of digging deeper.

I mean, the thread starter is still here and reading the thread. Why is the onus on us when they can just say "hey hold on a minute, when I said ALL TIME I clearly meant since I started watching hockey."?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
My intent is not to say that its obvious, Just that its part of the human condition and the internet exacerbates it and that we should be aware of that.

That’s a fair point. For me, I wouldn’t necessarily assume the person was crazy , I’d just assume they were evaluating players historically in a way I didn’t agree with. Either way, it’d be a worthwhile discussion

Reactions: Xirik

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
He definitely gets credit for longevity and his workload, but I also think the team in front of him made it a lot easier for him to play such a high number of games.

In the 10 year period from 94-95 to 2003-04, he started 682 games, and made more than 40 saves only ONCE.

And in his entire career, only 6 of his wins were with >40 saves.
For comparison, he had 9 wins with <=11 saves.

So many weird takes.

You are completely ignoring his puck handling ability, not to mention many other factors.

Turco (and even DiPietro) seemed even more aggressive in trying to play the puck. The Turco grip is interesting, I could see it having advantages with playing the puck on the backhand as he demonstrates in the video.

Turco was also great. Not disputing that.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So many weird takes.

You are completely ignoring his puck handling ability, not to mention many other factors.
How is that weird? It's pretty objectively clear that on a per game basis, his workload was pretty manageable in comparison to other goalies. He only faced 50 shots once in his entire career, and it took 17 years.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
How is that weird? It's pretty objectively clear that on a per game basis, his workload was pretty manageable in comparison to other goalies. He only faced 50 shots once in his entire career, and it took 17 years.
Agreeing that he's overrated because he wasn't peppered with shots for his entire career is an odd take. From a devils fan.

He also played 70+ games on a routine basis, when no other goalies were doing that. In fact, he had a stretch of 70+ games in 12 out of 14 seasons. Thats way way more impressive than "he didnt face alot of shots" detracts from his career imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad