What happened to Brodeur's legacy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Watching the Salt Lake City Olympics 2002 documentary thanks to YouTube algorithm, some of the goals MB let up where 87 Fuhr'esque.
Helped that Cujo was even a bigger sieve, and they finally had Hasek's nemesis in Mario Lemieux playing.

2006 was a complete disgrace.

Majority of his career was played with Lou's clutching, grabbing, and trapping dark days of hockey philosophy.

Comparing him to Roy must be some kind of rib from The Garden State.

I seem to recall the referees being instructed to call all obstruction in 2005-06 which led to a huge number of PPs for everybody. Where did the Devils rank in terms of number of times shorthanded?

tsh.jpg

I'm not saying the Devils never clutched/grabbed but somehow people made it seem like they were the only team that did it or that they did it more than everybody else. The trap became this cursed word that became synonymous with no offense, all defense. Many folks might be stunned to learn that the 2001 Devils led the league in goals and scored more than the star studded 2002 Red Wings. The Arnott era teams were quite fun to watch.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
While he was playing, he was a consensus top 3 goalie of all time. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur. You could put them in any order and no one could really tell you you were wrong.

Now a few years after his retirement, it seems he has plummeted down the all time rankings. Everyone has Roy/Hasek as 1/2 and Brodeur is only top 5 or top 10. The same tier as guys like Sawchuk or Dryden.

What happened?

Seems to have plummeted?
Where? When? How?

What a strange thread.

Brodeur is without question a Top 3 goalie ever and from the eye test, only Hasek was better, all time.
Roy has the better playoff record but he wasn't necessarily a better goalie.
Brodeur revolutionized the sport with his elite stick handling and hybrid style. The league had to change the rules because of it. Marty literally had no weaknesses as a goalie.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Brodeur was a franchise goalie but I don't think he was better than either Belfour or Kiprusoff. He makes an all-time list based on longevity and accolades but I personally don't think he was a better goalie than either. He just happened to play a lot of years for the most stingy defensive franchise of the last 30 years. That is not to take away from him as a goalie because he still had the pressure and still made the saves he needed to and won the games he won, you can't take that away from him. I just never found him to be a very dominant goalie. Throughout his entire career I considered him one of the better goalies in the league but never felt I was watching one of the best of all-time.

It's interesting how Brodeur's best statistical season was without Stevens, Nidermayer and Daneyko on the team.

A simple sentence ending a whole paragraph of an argument.

Reactions: Xirik

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
On a play off series my top guys

Hasek
Roy
Dryden
B. Smith
Belfour

Marty B probably in the next 5. Don't know about anyone else but he has never been top 5 imo

never knew this

Douche bag Brodeur

Devils haters coming out of the woodshed.
So, the goalie with 24 playoff shutouts (NHL record), 2nd in all time wins, lowest playoff GAA ever (tied with Hasek) doesn't make your Top 5?

Marty once registered 7 shutouts in a single Stanley Cup playoffs run. Another NHL record.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As a Devils fan who watched his whole career, I do think he tends to get a bit overrated. He was a great goalie for us, but much of his success was due to playing in such a great defensive scheme for so many years.

If you put guys like Luongo, Price, Lundqvist, Kipper, Vokoun, or Rinne in Brodeur's role, I think they'd have just as much success. Those are all great goalies, which Brodeur was, but I just don't see him as a guy who separated himself from guys like that.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Keep in mind Roy played more than 400 regular season games (and more than 100 playoff games) in a high-scoring era (mid 1980's to early 1990's) before Brodeur became a starter. Adjusting for era, Roy is well ahead of Brodeur in terms of save percentage, both in the regular season and playoffs.
Understand that, I’m not arguing his stats are so much better, my point is people are unlikely to do such an era adjustment and then point to stats and show why he’s not that good….especially if we are talking why his stock has dropped recently

I seem to recall the referees being instructed to call all obstruction in 2005-06 which led to a huge number of PPs for everybody. Where did the Devils rank in terms of number of times shorthanded?

View attachment 737915

I'm not saying the Devils never clutched/grabbed but somehow people made it seem like they were the only team that did it or that they did it more than everybody else. The trap became this cursed word that became synonymous with no offense, all defense. Many folks might be stunned to learn that the 2001 Devils led the league in goals and scored more than the star studded 2002 Red Wings. The Arnott era teams were quite fun to watch.
The Devils played extremely boring hockey for a good period of time in the 90s and early 2000’s….the fact they scored a lot of goals one year doesn’t change that. You do realize you pulled out a complete outlier year for them. They scored 295 goals in 2001, but only 205 in 2002

Reactions: cole von cole

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Saying Brodeur was like Roy/Hasek what happened would be similar 10 years from now to people saying "Malkin was as good as Crosby/Ovechkin - why is he ranked so far behind".

For a small stretch maybe it seemed similar level - but Roy/Hasek have a much better resume. I think Brodeur is definetely a top 10 goalie of all-time, and probably close to if not top 5. But he's definitely behind Roy and Hasek.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Seems to have plummeted?
Where? When? How?

What a strange thread.

Brodeur is without question a Top 3 goalie ever and from the eye test, only Hasek was better, all time.
Roy has the better playoff record but he wasn't necessarily a better goalie.
Brodeur revolutionized the sport with his elite stick handling and hybrid style. The league had to change the rules because of it. Marty literally had no weaknesses as a goalie.

You obviously have a bit of a bias but if you think Brodeur was better than Jacques Plante and Sawchuk I have some bad news for you...

Reactions: jigglysquishy

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
As a Devils fan who watched his whole career, I do think he tends to get a bit overrated. He was a great goalie for us, but much of his success was due to playing in such a great defensive scheme for so many years.

If you put guys like Luongo, Price, Lundqvist, Kipper, Vokoun, or Rinne in Brodeur's role, I think they'd have just as much success. Those are all great goalies, which Brodeur was, but I just don't see him as a guy who separated himself from guys like that.

I don't really disagree but I will say he deserves some credit over those guys for proving he can be that level of guy while playing so many games

he played 70+ games in 12 different seasons(including for a decade straight) and in 4 of those seasons he played 77+

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
None of this is true.

If you believe this was true, then that explains what happened to his legacy since. Brodeur is well-considered as a top ten goaltender of all time, but top three is (and was) a stretch.
Brodeur was consistently considered a top three goalie of all time in the late stages of his career.

I still consider him the third best goalie to play the game.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It's interesting how Brodeur's best statistical season was without Stevens, Nidermayer and Daneyko on the team.

A simple sentence ending a whole paragraph of an argument.
It's actually is not that interesting. I don't base my opinions just on stats. I watched his entire career and the careers of other goalies during the same period. I wasn't making an argument, I was stating an opinion. In most cases he is considered one of the best goalies ever and I won't debate that he hasn't had one of the best careers of a goalie ever as well, he certainly has.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smash and Xirik

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
He was never a consensus top 3 goalie of all time. In fact, there’s never been any goalie consensus other than Roy/Hasek both being top 5.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't really disagree but I will say he deserves some credit over those guys for proving he can be that level of guy while playing so many games

he played 70+ games in 12 different seasons(including for a decade straight) and in 4 of those seasons he played 77+
He definitely gets credit for longevity and his workload, but I also think the team in front of him made it a lot easier for him to play such a high number of games.

In the 10 year period from 94-95 to 2003-04, he started 682 games, and made more than 40 saves only ONCE.

And in his entire career, only 6 of his wins were with >40 saves.
For comparison, he had 9 wins with <=11 saves.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
On a play off series my top guys

Hasek
Roy
Dryden
B. Smith
Belfour

Marty B probably in the next 5. Don't know about anyone else but he has never been top 5 imo

never knew this

Douche bag Brodeur
Hey wait a sec. My brother in law's wife isn't bad look....ah nevermind

Reactions: PaulD

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
While he was playing, he was a consensus top 3 goalie of all time. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur. You could put them in any order and no one could really tell you you were wrong.

Now a few years after his retirement, it seems he has plummeted down the all time rankings. Everyone has Roy/Hasek as 1/2 and Brodeur is only top 5 or top 10. The same tier as guys like Sawchuk or Dryden.

What happened?

I don't think any serious hockey fan, or any observer with any kind of knowledge of the history of the game would ever have told you that Martin Brodeur was a Top 3 goaltender of all time.

The notion that the three greatest goaltenders of all time were playing together in the league for several years reeks of recency bias.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I find it funny that people are bringing up goalies from different era's to say Brodeur isn't that good. News flash! Equipment changed, training changed.

Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur played in the same era so that is what people are comparing and ranking them too.

It's impossible to compare players with others from different era's becuase the game is so different but I guess not many people understand that because they continue on with the who " IS MCDAVID BETTER THEN GRETZKY?!"

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I find it funny that people are bringing up goalies from different era's to say Brodeur isn't that good. News flash! Equipment changed, training changed.

Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur played in the same era so that is what people are comparing and ranking them too.
If you want to make an all time list. You have to consider all time.

So it's not just Brodeur vs Hasek/Roy. It's Brodeur vs Plante/Hall/Sawchuk and Dryden/Tretiak and Brimsek and Vezina.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If you want to make an all time list. You have to consider all time.

So it's not just Brodeur vs Hasek/Roy. It's Brodeur vs Plante/Hall/Sawchuk and Dryden/Tretiak and Brimsek and Vezina.
I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people saying best of all time are meaning the best in the modern NHL/90s onwards. This is one of the usual disconnects that happens between older people on this forum and the large amount of 90s kids.

instead of asking for clarification on what the poster means people are lazy and go straight to the "Lol that terrible take".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad