What happened to Brodeur's legacy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Brodeur may not have been the best goalie at stopping pucks, but overall, he is the best goaltender of all time due to his puckhandling ability combined with his puck stopping ability.

When Brodeur was in net, the Devils almost always had an extra defensemen to break the puck out.

Brodeur was THE reason the New Jersey Devils only missed the playoffs twice in an 18 season span. 5 trips to the Stanley Cup Finals, winning it 3 times.

Hasek is the best puck stopping goalie of all time and was probably the best goalie at his peak (one could argue 2014-15 Carey Price was the best goalie of all time) but take every goalie's ability throughout their entire career and which one would I choose? It's Brodeur every single time.

Reactions: Wats

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
Brodeur may not have been the best goalie at stopping pucks, but overall, he is the best goaltender of all time due to his puckhandling ability combined with his puck stopping ability.

When Brodeur was in net, the Devils almost always had an extra defensemen to break the puck out.

Brodeur was THE reason the New Jersey Devils only missed the playoffs twice in an 18 season span. 5 trips to the Stanley Cup Finals, winning it 3 times.

Hasek is the best puck stopping goalie of all time and was probably the best goalie at his peak (one could argue 2014-15 Carey Price was the best goalie of all time) but take every goalie's ability throughout their entire career and which one would I choose? It's Brodeur every single time.
Who could? That’s a reach.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Who could? That’s a reach.

What does this even mean? Was he the best of all time because of one season or was that season the best of all time?

2014-15 Price was arguably the best season from a goaltender in NHL history. Given that, one could argue that Price at the peak of his powers was the best goalie of all time.

But over the course of their entire careers, give me Brodeur over Hasek, Roy, Lundqvist, Price, Dryden, etc.

Reactions: Wats

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
2014-15 Price was arguably the best season from a goaltender in NHL history. Given that, one could argue that Price at the peak of his powers was the best goalie of all time.

But over the course of their entire careers, give me Brodeur over Hasek, Roy, Lundqvist, Price, Dryden, etc.

That season ranks 14th in all time sv% for a season and 9th for wins in a season. I frankly do not see the argument unless you want to try and use his games played to say it is more impressive. Statistically, I don't see how this take has any merit.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
That season ranks 14th in all time sv% for a season and 9th for wins in a season. I frankly do not see the argument unless you want to try and use his games played to say it is more impressive. Statistically, I don't see how this take has any merit.

Judging by sv% and wins aren't the only ways to evaluate the dominance of a goalie in a single season. For example, if the 2014-15 Habs had more talent on their roster (they ranked 20th in the league in goals for) Price likely would've had more wins. Era's change, league wide scoring goes up and down, goalie equipment is altered, etc.

But along with the late 90's Hasek, that 2014-15 season by Price was one of the most dominating performances we have ever seen.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
People saying he was never a consensus top 3 goalie OAT are a) deluded b) born after 2000 c) straight up lying.

Post 2003, he was regarded by most as top 3. He started reaching GOAT conversation around 2007. People now who don't think he's on the same level as Hasek and Roy either never watched him consistently, or just forgot how good he was.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
People saying he was never a consensus top 3 goalie OAT are a) deluded b) born after 2000 c) straight up lying.

Post 2003, he was regarded by most as top 3. He started reaching GOAT conversation around 2007. People now who don't think he's on the same level as Hasek and Roy either never watched him consistently, or just forgot how good he was.

Guess I'm deluded, then.

And the first NHL game I saw Brodeur in person, he was wearing #29 for the Devils (hello Spectrum!), so it's been awhile. And I'm a fan of Brodeur's.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Brodeur deserved the Vezina in 2007, and 2008 maybe if you look at it generously. It's the early ones he got without being anywhere near the best in the league. Especially Luongo really got jobbed there.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The sad thing is that most of the greatest goalies this league has seen would be an after thought and probably not even get a real chance to play in this league.

Why? Many of them were not 6'5" large behemoths that just take up space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad