Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I suspect a major amount of No voters (as many as half) just assumed it was tax money on the line and they didn’t want to pay more taxes for this. Even though they wouldn’t have had to. Nobody did the expensive, hard work of educating them on that.
Yeah. I wonder if "too good to be true" caused skepticism as well. That's usually a red flag that the fine print is going to be a doozy.

Edit: And I'm sure they didn't take the time to read the fine print to make sure. That's what a good campaign was for.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Isn't real estate investment a big piece of what AM does for a living though and why the Entertainment District attached to the arena made so much more sense 4 hours ago than it seems now? I mean, he's a real developer/investor. Why wouldn't he want it?

Edit: I could go along with something like a recent change with his finances or something, but not that he went into it with a Dr. Evil scheme to sell the team from the beginning.
I think he also created or had some ownership in the company that was going to do the developing …Just seems like a lot of work for nothing…

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
What’s your response to this?

My response is is it true? Who are the "NHL sources?" I am frankly sick of hearing about anonymous sources. Second response is assuming it is true how do we know that made difference in the votes? I don't care how many times I see an ad against my candidate. If I believe in my candidate, I ignore the negative ad.

The larger question is whose advise did AM take? If if he didn't ask the former and current mayor and council members what messaging and in what manner the citizens needed to hear, then you can pass blame. Until we know that it is easy to just blame AM.

Looks like the under 70 vote didn't mail in their votes. Whose fault is that? I guess he should have passed out free phones.

Again...I think we are overlooking the impact of Sky Harbor threats and lawsuit.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread but has anyone mentioned how the "no" win is a pyrrhic victory for Tempe voters? The airport wins, Glendale wins, Phoenix downtown arena wins, the unions that don't like AM win, but now Tempe is once again saddled with a randomly igniting mini-superfund site?

"Yeah we did it! We saved the dump!"
"We did it! We prevented someone trying to make our community better!"

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread but has anyone mentioned how the "no" win is a pyrrhic victory for Tempe voters? The airport wins, Glendale wins, Phoenix downtown arena wins, the unions that don't like AM win, but now Tempe is once again saddled with a randomly igniting mini-superfund site?

"Yeah we did it! We saved them dump!"

Woof. Great point.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Don’t forget what the core samples said about the water table. Better ignore it until it’s a disaster and get FEMA to pay. Otherwise it’s gonna be costly.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well everyone can Monday morning quarterback this until forever if they choose to.

I’m going to wait and see what develops over the next few days.

But I have no qualms that they had this referendum. It was going to happen regardless and if the opposition had been the ones who got it on the ballot the beating would’ve been much worse.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Well everyone can Monday morning quarterback this until forever if they choose to.

I’m going to wait and see what develops over the next few days.

But I have no qualms that they had this referendum. It was going to happen regardless and if the opposition had been the ones who got it on the ballot the beating would’ve been much worse.
All true enough.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Also the profit he was going make was more with the office buildings, hotels and entertainment centre than the actual team ..I don’t believe they tanked this .. I think they thought they were going to win easily
We were also just talking about how much more profit he could make by selling off parts of the development within 10 years of completion, from huge capital gains tax breaks since it's being built in an "Opportunity Zone." I think he was fully invested in everything TED except for the campaign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
We were also just talking about how much more profit he could make by selling off parts of the development within 10 years of completion, from huge capital gains tax breaks, because it's being built in an "Opportunity Zone." I think he was fully invested in everything TED except for the campaign.
Which is inexcusable

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
This feels eerily like November 2016. Same feeling. "no it can't...really?...but...no way, really?...aw man no way". I even have a 40+ beer league game, as it's tuesday, just like then.
FWIW, we won our game 3-2. Pretty exciting, as far as beer league games go, a defenseman who's also a 16U travel team coach scored with 40 seconds left to extend our win streak to 21 games.

And, we're wearing kachina floating head jerseys, so suck it, haters. :P

I guess I'll get around to changing that avatar soon *sigh*. Might even change my handle, who knows.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I suspect a major amount of No voters (as many as half) just assumed it was tax money on the line and they didn’t want to pay more taxes for this. Even though they wouldn’t have had to. Nobody did the expensive, hard work of educating them on that.
The finger thing means taxes!!!

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Quebec City has population of 550 thousand.I doesn't matter how many tickets they sell.It is not sustainable in a long run.
Quebec City metro is over 800k people and is in a province with over 8 million people. Most of them are hockey fans. Would you say that the Coyotes have been sustainable for the past 2 decades?

Anyways, the Coyotes isn't leaving Arizona as long as Gary Bettman is commissioner so it's a moot point. The Coyotes and the salary cap are his legacy.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Quebec City metro is over 800k people and is in a province with over 8 million people. Most of them are hockey fans. Would you say that the Coyotes have been sustainable for the past 2 decades?
My take on it has always been, and always will be: as a Florida native who moved here in the mid 90s before the Jets did, if the NHL can work in Tampa, Nashville, Raleigh, it sure as s*** can work in Phoenix.

Reactions: PainForShane

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

I've been saying they chose to blow off their own nose to spite their face but pyrrhic victory is more succinct and classy.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
My take on it has always been, and always will be: as a Florida native who moved here in the mid 90s before the Jets did, if the NHL can work in Tampa, Nashville, Raleigh, it sure as s*** can work in Phoenix.
Sure, hockey would work anywhere as long as there is a committed ownership with a good plan for the team and the area the team is located in. But Coyotes obviously hasn't had good ownership for over 15 years now and has been bleeding money. I'm sure you understand how fans in Quebec City, or Atlanta for that matter, feel when Arizona gets chance after chance after chance to have successful hockey franchise while they got their teams ripped from them the moment the opportunity came about.

I'm not saying that the hockey fans in Arizona doesn't deserve a NHL team, because I think you do, but I also think that Quebec City deserves the Nordiques back as much.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Lol at some of the names of people snooping around in here at 430AM EDT...

There were 1400-1500 watching the podcast. Quite a few trolls got into the chat section (I recognized a couple from HF) but it was flying by so fast it's wasn't worth blocking out the riffraff.

And don't you dare change that name. :nono:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Sure, hockey would work anywhere as long as there is a committed ownership with a good plan for the team and the area the team is located in. But Coyotes obviously hasn't had good ownership for over 15 years now and has been bleeding money. I'm sure you understand how fans in Quebec City, or Atlanta for that matter, feel when Arizona gets chance after chance after chance to have successful hockey franchise while they got their teams ripped from them the moment the opportunity came about.

I'm not saying that the hockey fans in Arizona doesn't deserve a NHL team, because I think you do, but I also think that Quebec City deserves the Nordiques back as much.

Hola,
1. 15 years of bad ownership would be one year less than the Nordiques existed. So if we got chance over chance it must be well deserved considering we've received 15 years of chances. Maybe put that into the context of how important a gigantic television + untapped fan market we drive here. Quebec would be a side of rice and beans compared to the PHX combo platter (one enchilada, one chimichanga and 3 tacos) that is our TV market + potential NEW fan base.
2. What actually inspired you to post that here? Can you not read a room? Do you actively like being a killjoy? Seems dumb if you ask me.
3. It's been a tough 23 years. Leave us alone.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hola,
1. 15 years of bad ownership would be one year less than the Nordiques existed. So if we got chance over chance it must be well deserved considering we've received 15 years of chances. Maybe put that into the context of how important a gigantic television + untapped fan market we drive here. Quebec would be a side of rice and beans compared to the PHX combo platter (one enchilada, one chimichanga and 3 tacos) that is our TV market + potential NEW fan base.
2. What actually inspired you to post that here? Can you not read a room? Do you actively like being a killjoy? Seems dumb if you ask me.
3. It's been a tough 23 years. Leave us alone.
Phx combo platter would be a good handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad