Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
NY Rangers fan here; I come in peace.

I feel for the Coyotes fan base for the lost vote last night. Reading through the thread, it sounds like the team itself didn't exactly go all out trying to win the vote. I know Gary Bettman has been hell bent on keeping the team in Arizona. Whether this is the breaking point, time will tell. We all want the team to be successful and sustainable long term wherever it is, Arizona or elsewhere.

Hopefully things work out for the best.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Ideally something close to the Tempe spot so Tempe gets all the problems and none of the benefits.

Agree with @rt though. The messaging around this was far too complex. It had to be boiled down to bumper sticker language and the lowest common denominator to appeal to the masses.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I’m curious how the exact same proposal would have done if it was the Suns not Coyotes. Or, BOTH the Suns and Coyotes.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
If Plan B really existed and was still in the state of AZ, you'd think we'd hear something about it very soon. Don't need to give details, but the team should at least say they are working on a new arena option in the state and will have more information soon...like in 2 weeks.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know what fans in AZ are feeling now. Those of us who are still fans who originated from Winnipeg know what these emotions feel like. It sucks. I feel awful for you. I wish i knew where this was going to go and that i could provide words of reassurance. I can’t but i can tell u as a fan who is still a fan 25+ years later of the same team that your fandom doesn’t need to end.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I had my tinfoil hat on,

OTT has 4 serious bids in, whichever bids(s) don't win would prob be interested in the Yotes.

Buying a sports team for ~300m and then selling it for 600-700m a few years later isn't the worst outcome for an owner. Esp if you're otherwise looking at losses of 10s of millions of dollars in each of the next few years.

Yes, he dropped 25m on the annex but if AM were really flush with cash we would've taken on Cal Petersen's contract for a 1st rounder instead of taking on Weber, Voracek etc. And I think he would've spent more marketing money on this campaign as well
I don't think all the tea in china would have changed the vote.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why would AM pay all that money for the mullet addition and then sand bag this deal on purpose?
You can tell by that brief presser by Gutierrez that he looked real depressed and shocked. All this talk now about the Coyote's not wanting the deal to pass, AM over his head etc. etc. etc. is BS.

My current thinking is this has been a scheme from Meruelo to get out of this mess with as much of his skin intact as possible.

The zero dollars in deadline, the ten trillion in LTIR, the rusty gaming license, the $250k campaign, the No Plan B. It’s all too fishy for me.
Stop with such nonsense.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
My take on it has always been, and always will be: as a Florida native who moved here in the mid 90s before the Jets did, if the NHL can work in Tampa, Nashville, Raleigh, it sure as s*** can work in Phoenix.

And that's the correct answer. That's why "Gary" wants to keep the team in this market. I don't know what annoys me more: potentially having the team in my city relocated, or idiots who think that cities with nearly identical demographics and climate are somehow different hockey markets than metro Phoenix. But you forgot to bring up Vegas: half the population, same climate, same amount of transplants. Now hockey "works" in Nevada; keep 'em there!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
XG was brought in to get an arena deal. I like him, but he has failed at his prime directive.
Not sure if he could have done more. Looking back is always easy to point fingers and say they could have done this better or that better, but when people are told lies and they believe it on face value there is not much a person can do. The lies the opposition told were so blatant its just unfathomable how the voters believed it. Maybe the Coyote's should have stayed in their basement and not talked to the media at all. That worked both in the federal and local elections. :)

Reactions: knich

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Plan B really existed and was still in the state of AZ, you'd think we'd hear something about it very soon. Don't need to give details, but the team should at least say they are working on a new arena option in the state and will have more information soon...like in 2 weeks.
They have to say something in the next couple of days. Same for the NHL. What's going thru the players heads right now? Coaches, management etc. And we wonder why we are the laughing stock of the NHL. Calgary residents and gov't is footing the majority of the bill for a new arena, I believe the same will happen in Ottawa.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I’m curious how the exact same proposal would have done if it was the Suns not Coyotes. Or, BOTH the Suns and Coyotes.
I think it was based on lack of political experience.. the no side understood their audience…and understood dirty politics. They knew they could spread lies early and often and put the yes side on the defence.

the yes side thought no one in their right mind would vote no… but when it comes to politics , common sense doesn’t prevail.. only those who talk loudest.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it was based on lack of political experience.. the no side understood their audience…and understood dirty politics. They knew they could spread lies early and often and put the yes side on the defence.

the yes side thought no one in their right mind would vote no… but when it comes to politics , common sense doesn’t prevail.. only those who talk loudest.
I don't think Biden or Hobbs talked the loudest. I don't understand how people have become so gullible.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
I know what fans in AZ are feeling now. Those of us who are still fans who originated from Winnipeg know what these emotions feel like. It sucks. I feel awful for you. I wish i knew where this was going to go and that i could provide words of reassurance. I can’t but i can tell u as a fan who is still a fan 25+ years later of the same team that your fandom doesn’t need to end.
For me it does. The way other residents of Houston, Quebec etc have treated us, I could never root for them to succeed.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
It’s really just…

Plan B
Houston
Kansas City
Quebec
Maybe… Portland

I can’t really think of anywhere else that is viable.

Would be funny if the NHL rained on everyone’s parade by putting the team in Mexico City.

Or Australia

Reactions: AZviaNJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad