Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Did Mullet arena sell out even once this year after opening night? It always looked under capacity. We sucked too hard for too long to even be relevant in our own backyard. I want to think we have some pieces to be a competitive team but that'll probably never be the case.

Reactions: SniperHF

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
For me it does. The way other residents of Houston, Quebec etc have treated us, I could never root for them to succeed.
I'm going to have to decide what I do as well. This isn't a simple oh well Arizona is gone and follow the team. You have to realize I am wanting to retire in AZ and I'm not happy with this turn of events. I was prepared to move within the next 3-5 years. Now? Let's see where it goes. I may not be able to accept a Quebec team to be honest. I don't know yet. I may give it a try and fly down there for a game but this isn't easy for me either but what I'm going through isn't near what everyone in AZ is going through and I have a bit of a thicker skin on this because I've already gone through it once.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Also the profit he was going make was more with the office buildings, hotels and entertainment centre than the actual team ..I don’t believe they tanked this .. I think they thought they were going to win easily
I think so too.

As an outsider, I looked at the plan and thought WOW this is the model all cities should look to when being asked to fund a sports complex.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Something to consider regarding Mat Ishbia. He brought back jerry colangelo into the fold after Sarver kicked him to the curb. Colangelo was always a fan of the Coyotes. He may be able to get in the ear of Ishbia and tell him the kind of atmosphere AWA was back in the day and figure out some sort of partnership. I did call it last night that Ishbia would buy the team outright though.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
I'm going to have to decide what I do as well. This isn't a simple oh well Arizona is gone and follow the team. You have to realize I am wanting to retire in AZ and I'm not happy with this turn of events. I was prepared to move within the next 3-5 years. Now? Let's see where it goes. I may not be able to accept a Quebec team to be honest. I don't know yet. I may give it a try and fly down there for a game but this isn't easy for me either but what I'm going through isn't near what everyone in AZ is going through and I have a bit of a thicker skin on this because I've already gone through it once.
I hope you didn’t take my comment as a hit towards you.. I totally understand following the team if they move. Just won’t be in the cards for me. Will I watch stats of Cooley, Guenther, Keller etc? I would be lying if I said no.

Reactions: hbk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Something to consider regarding Mat Ishbia. He brought back jerry colangelo into the fold after Sarver kicked him to the curb. Colangelo was always a fan of the Coyotes. He may be able to get in the ear of Ishbia and tell him the kind of atmosphere AWA was back in the day and figure out some sort of partnership. I did call it last night that Ishbia would buy the team outright though.

I don't think either Ishbia or Colangelo have even a remote interest in the Coyotes at this point.

Ishbia's net worth of $7B would place him 4th among current NHL owners. He has the financial means but does he want to own an NHL team?

IMO he definitely does not. Now, is there a scenario where the NHL would pressure him into it somehow? Non-zero chance, perhaps. But honestly the path of far less resistance is a relocation at this juncture. Too much long-term uncertainty behind a theoretical Ishbia ownership.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I'm hoping for the Salt River reservation. South of Mckellips and west of the 202

It would make sense then why AM didn't try harder. Less headaches and no landfill clean up!

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I'm hoping for the Salt River reservation. South of Mckellips and west of the 202

It would make sense then why AM didn't try harder. Less headaches and no landfill clean up!
Much less profitable most likely. The Tempe site was the site of most possible resistance ever. It was never going to get done there

Airport
Site remediation
Politics
Traffic
Oh yeah. The airport

I wonder if the coyotes will seek damages for real after this loss with their lawsuit.

Reactions: MapleLeafs94

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Reservation = gambling conflicts with the tribes, less potential opportunity for an entertainment district development, more red tape, more unwanted oversight, etc.

Basically, the res would just be an arena, and that's not gonna work for Meruelo.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hope you didn’t take my comment as a hit towards you.. I totally understand following the team if they move. Just won’t be in the cards for me. Will I watch stats of Cooley, Guenther, Keller etc? I would be lying if I said no.
oh no. What you are going through sucks. You could tell me to F off night now and I would understand. This is emotional. You are entitled to feel the way you feel. I don't take offense at all.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Much less profitable most likely. The Tempe site was the site of most possible resistance ever. It was never going to get done there

Airport
Site remediation
Politics
Traffic
Oh yeah. The airport

I wonder if the coyotes will seek damages for real after this loss with their lawsuit.
More profit in the long term, but I see the reservation as making a quicker profit.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
come on down brother...I'll talk hockey with you as much as you want

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't think either Ishbia or Colangelo have even a remote interest in the Coyotes at this point.

IMO he definitely does not. Now, is there a scenario where the NHL would pressure him into it somehow? Non-zero chance, perhaps. But honestly the path of far less resistance is a relocation at this juncture. Too much long-term uncertainty behind a theoretical Ishbia ownership.
Which owner in which market is more more likely than Ishbia, though. I’m not saying Ishbia is likely. But why would he be LESS likely than Smith or Fertitta?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think you are just being feckless!

Nobody has ever accused me of straying from my #brand!

Which owner in which market is more more likely than Ishbia, though. I’m not saying Ishbia is likely. But why would he be LESS likely than Smith or Fertitta?

Fertitta, at least, has tested the waters before with the NHL and has previously expressed interest. Ishbia has not, and in fact has not (to my knowledge) ever expressed even a scintilla of interest in hockey in general and NHL ownership specifically.

Anyone wanna call Ryan Reynolds?

I love, love, love what Reynolds and McElhenney have done for Wrexham. Wrexham is way more likeable than Phoenix is in ambience, people, narrative, and local passion. While Wrexham fans have endured as much bullshit as we have over the years, they at least have no concerns about their football team moving to another town - just other leagues.

Plus, Reynolds is Canadian, so there's a chance he might think owning a hockey team in Arizona would be like doing another Green Lantern movie.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think so too.

As an outsider, I looked at the plan and thought WOW this is the model all cities should look to when being asked to fund a sports complex.
This is Arizona you are talking about. The State of the dumb and dumber.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I’m wondering who would? Quebec and KC have arenas but no owners. SLC and Houston have neither. Unless you want to say the NBA buildings and NBA owners. Which is the same as Phoenix. So what makes Houston or SLC any more likely than Phoenix?

Anyone wanna call Ryan Reynolds?
The Utah Jazz owner was a finalist to buy the Pens when they were sold to the Fenway Sports Group, and he met with Bettman recently. I know people on here have poo-pooed the idea of a team in Salt Lake, but I don't think it's out of the question. Especially when you can buy the team and not pony up the colossal expansion fee to the league that would come with a "new" team.

RollingCoyote

Aug 13, 2022
This could be a double kick in the balls for me. Not only might my favourite team leave, but as an Alberta taxpayer I might be on the hook to help pay for a new arena for my most hated team, the Flames.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ishbia might not buy the Coyotes, but he might avail the arena to the Coyotes in a sweetheart deal. Meruelo would pick up the significant renovation cost, and the Coyotes have a 3 year lease at ASU, That's plenty of time to make the renovations so win, win and Bob's your uncle.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If they really wanted it to work, why only spend $250K on securing the vote? Why not spend $5M to ensure it gets done...this is the shocker for me...the lack of investment into what was the most critical aspect of getting the deal started.

Which then brings out the conspiracy theorist in me who can only conclude that the 1/2 assed effort was just a vailed attempt destined to fail and all along the plan was to 'sell' the team.

Uncle Gary is gonna have to perform a miracle at this point to keep them here.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I'll start off by saying I'm sorry you all have to deal with this. Having to deal with threats of relocation for a decade + and poor performance on the ice while still supporting the Coyotes is not something I would want someone who supports or follows a team to have to deal with.

My question is, regarding the proposal for TED, was there a realistic chance this could have passed if Coyotes ownership publicly campaigned for this better? Or were there too many obstacles in the way from the start to have this actually passed in terms of the structure of financing as well as other social issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad