Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It’s really just…

Plan B
Houston
Kansas City
Quebec
Maybe… Portland

I can’t really think of anywhere else that is viable.

Or Australia
Mexico would be in the Western Conference.

Which Eastern Conference team agrees to join the Western Conference if the Coyotes relocate East?

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Maybe the Suns guy buys Muruelos stake and then Muruelo can have Barroways?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We need to hear from someone real soon. Players, coaches, management will want and need answers. They need some kind of idea what the hell the future looks like. Plan B is now, whatever the hell it is. Everyone deserves to know now, not in the "up coming weeks" as was mentioned.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm having trouble understanding why the Suns would want to own the Coyotes? The purchase price would be rather high for a homeless team and the reno cost practically ensures the Coyotes franchise will not make money. I guess a long term plan of a new arena with a development area with 2 tenants might make sense??? But after watching this debacle who is willing to take chance on getting to build arena??

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Would be funny if the NHL rained on everyone’s parade by putting the team in Mexico City.

As a one-time resident of Mexico, I'd still cheer for the team in that case.

I'm having trouble understanding why the Suns would want to own the Coyotes? The purchase price would be rather high for a homeless team and the reno cost practically ensures the Coyotes franchise will not make money. I guess a long term plan of a new arena with a development area with 2 tenants might make sense??? But after watching this debacle who is willing to take chance on getting to build arena??

Mat Ishbia is a former basketball player. He wanted to own a basketball team. He might have been open to sharing the Footprint Center with the Coyotes, but he has no interest at all in owning them.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Mat Ishbia is a former basketball player. He wanted to own a basketball team. He might have been open to sharing the Footprint Center with the Coyotes, but he has no interest at all in owning them.
Thanks for the info, then it makes even less sense for downtown

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Maybe the Suns guy buys Muruelos stake and then Muruelo can have Barroways?
I don’t know why Matt Ishbia (Suns) would be less likely to buy the Yotes than Tillman Fertitta (Rockets) or Ryan Smith (Jazz). I don’t know that any of them are likely to want to buy a hockey team to bunk up with their NBA team. But not sure why everyone is so quick to speculate on Houston or SLC but immediately rule out Phoenix.

Alex Meruelo never played hockey. And his first attempt at buying a major pro team was the Atlanta Hawks basketball team.

Why would the purchase price be high? The current owner is losing money by the bucketful and has no prospects of a permanent home. It seems one dollar would be fair.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Yea, I'm with @rt on this one y'all. Something does not add up.

Meruelo put a lot of chips in the middle. But he didn't get himself pot committed.

And he still has that gaming license. There are more than enough chips to play with in his stack from that.

There's something they're not telling us.

@Art.Vandelay - where tf you at man?

I'm trying to get any sort of info. As of a month ago, plan b was there.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm trying to get any sort of info. As of a month ago, plan b was there.
They need to come out and let everyone know whatever the plan is. This vote was devastating to all.

I don’t know why Matt Ishbia (Suns) would be less likely to buy the Yotes than Tillman Fertitta (Rockets) or Ryan Smith (Jazz). I don’t know that any of them are likely to want to buy a hockey team to bunk up with their NBA team. But not sure why everyone is so quick to speculate on Houston or SLC but immediately rule out Phoenix.

Alex Meruelo never played hockey. And his first attempt at buying a major pro team was the Atlanta Hawks basketball team.

Why would the purchase price be high? The current owner is losing money by the bucketful and has no prospects of a permanent home. It seems one dollar would be fair.
The purchase price will be whatever the relocation price set by the NHL. It will be millions. If the Coyote's are sold locally, well, that would be a different story, but it would still be in the millions. AM is not dumb, he will not lose money here.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

We both know he's not going away for a dollar. He bought the team for an amount, lost an amount, and spent an amount to do Tempe. The price will at least be that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Crap.

So, I think that there was a belief that by moving to Mullett for the year and bringing things close to Tempe would simply make people think it is a no-brainer. Therefore, advertising wasn't really thought of. I think it was simply assumed that people would vote Yes because roughly 60% of these actually pass over the last 40 years. Even when they fail (San Diego Chargers and NYI were the last two), new arenas still popped up, albeit in LA for the Chargers.

This also states that it isn't impossible for the Coyotes to stay in Arizona, but this space being one of the best options going under in the vote makes it very difficult.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Mexico would be in the Western Conference.

Which Eastern Conference team agrees to join the Western Conference if the Coyotes relocate East?
I see EC as a final option. Looks like SLC maybe Plan B….and you’d till have KC and Houston as other options. I don’t see Portland

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread but has anyone mentioned how the "no" win is a pyrrhic victory for Tempe voters? The airport wins, Glendale wins, Phoenix downtown arena wins, the unions that don't like AM win, but now Tempe is once again saddled with a randomly igniting mini-superfund site?

"Yeah we did it! We saved the dump!"
"We did it! We prevented someone trying to make our community better!"
Would love to go to the bookstore and ask just what was accomplished!

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Situation being discussed in first 15 minutes of today's Marek/Friedman podcast here:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Having 41 extra dates is good for the arena and the neighborhood, but it's not necessarily good for Ishbia / the Suns. PHNX podcast put out the theory last night that the city of Phoenix might swoop in and grab the team in a moment of desperation (and free of Sky Harbor lawsuits), but I just don't see it.
That would be an unmitigated disaster. Quebec City would make way more sense than SLC, and I say that even with the Quebecois relocationistas shitting all over us at every turn.
Uncle Gary is all about growing the game. There are 0 new fans to be had in Quebec City. Houston.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Having 41 extra dates is good for the arena and the neighborhood, but it's not necessarily good for Ishbia / the Suns. PHNX podcast put out the theory last night that the city of Phoenix might swoop in and grab the team in a moment of desperation (and free of Sky Harbor lawsuits), but I just don't see it.

Uncle Gary is all about growing the game. There are 0 new fans to be had in Quebec City. Houston.
A Quebec team would also come with some financial cost to the Canadiens. There are only so many large corporations in the province to support teams. IMO the only hope Quebec has is the Winnipeg model, the NHL needs something done quickly and they are the place really just ready to go in a minute.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I was a diehard Montreal Expos fan my whole life and went through years and years of this nonsense.

Feel for you guys, you deserve better
I too was a die-hard Expos fan who lived through those years of the uncertainty and hope rollercoaster. I also went through almost 30 years of it with my Isles, albeit with a much happier result.

Thus, I have great empathy for you Coyote fans and what you're going through as you're now in a low. I sincerely hope you end up with the Isles outcome and not the Expos outcome. :crossfing

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Houston is the only logical solution and it's pretty clear to me that the NHL has been planning on it for a while now.

A Quebec team would also come with some financial cost to the Canadiens. There are only so many large corporations in the province to support teams.

See, here's the thing - subsidies make sense if it's a Canadian team (ask Winnipeg!). :sarcasm:

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I’m curious how the exact same proposal would have done if it was the Suns not Coyotes. Or, BOTH the Suns and Coyotes.
It probably would have passed. This is a Suns town. Always has been, always will be. In the last couple years at my job, more than once I've had someone say to me "You're going to the Coyotes game? I didn't know they were still here." And they weren't kidding. One guy thought they moved to Seattle and became the Kraken.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It probably would have passed. This is a Suns town. Always has been, always will be. In the last couple years at my job, more than once I've had someone say to me "You're going to the Coyotes game? I didn't know they were still here." And they weren't kidding. One guy thought they moved to Seattle and became the Kraken.
That’s usually the first thing people say to me too. “I thought they left? Or are they leaving?”

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We need to hear from someone real soon. Players, coaches, management will want and need answers. They need some kind of idea what the hell the future looks like. Plan B is now, whatever the hell it is. Everyone deserves to know now, not in the "up coming weeks" as was mentioned.
I agree, NHL is in a tough spot. Don’t want to take focus away from the playoffs but it’s already too late for that. There has to be a Plan B...we may not like it...but there has to be a Plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad