Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
Thank you!

Y'all - this stinks to high heaven.

The money, the timing and where we are now this evening. Something happened behind closed doors in the last six months to undermine this deal. And I'm willing to bet that it's a better deal than the TED.
Seattle paid$650 mil.for expansion fee,it is estimated that Senators will be sold for $900 mil.to 1 B.Meruelo paid $300 mil for the team.I believe we'll find out soon what the real plan was.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Have to hope Ishbia is interested at this point. Would certainly give him more leverage in rights negotiations and future negotiations on a new building.

Team would be dirt cheap compared to the Suns.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Have to hope Ishbia is interested at this point. Would certainly give him more leverage in rights negotiations and future negotiations on a new building.

Won't matter. If dips his toes in and doesn't achieve the right outcome, he will be treated on here just like AM and XG have been.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
While I understand folks frustration on here, it is very disappointing to see all the negativity and attacks on ownership. if the vote had turned differently, everyone would have been rejoicing and dare I say praising ownership.

So I will be that lone voice and thank AM, XG, and the rest of the ownership group for putting together the best deal Arizona has ever had. And even if AM sells the team, ASU and Tempe benefit from the arena upgrades, extra facilities, etc to the tune of approx 25M. I wouldn't call that person a shyster.

Think about it. This landfill has been there fore 70 years and will likely be there for 70 more or until the taxpayers pay to clean it. The damn thing caught on fire. How stupid do you have to be to see that any deal is better than what they have. Countless Tempe mayors and city council members voted for the deal. If you don't trust them, then the Coyotes or anyone else for that matter has no chance. And say what you want but Sky Harbor scare tactics I believe played a huge role.

So, if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the Tempe citizens who appear to have been uninformed and are living in a fantasy. Could AM have done more that would have made a difference in the outcome? Who knows..I haven't seen enough evidence to the contrary...just conjecture. Would I have liked to have seen the focus be different, yes. But I don't really know what they told prospective voters....maybe the said exactly what I was thinking and they didn't buy it.

It is very easy today to paint any billionaire as a greedy person and that is all people hear. But if you believe Kuby, AM had no money. So how is he a greedy billionaire?

The bottom line is the voters have spoken and we have lost. I am not mad at AM. Unfortunately, people make bad decisions all the time. And if you are not sure about that just look at who we have in Congress and what is its approval rating? We the people voted for them!

Thanks Alex!
They put together an admirable plan, they FAILED to put enough capital into the campaign.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
On another Note. The Radio Just started blasting "one more time".
This morning gets more sureal by the Minute....

But i that tune is groovy, so i am gonna enjoy it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Why would he spend all of that money for Mullett and then spend only $250k on this campaign?

Why the bazillion dollars in LTIR contracts at the trade deadline? Why a $0 coming back policy on the Chychrun trade? I’ve got questions, man. Big time.

Something is not right. They spent next to nothing on digital advertising. They spent 25% of Christian Fischer’s salary on this campaign.
And he would’ve had to handover a $50m check this week with a yes vote. $50m he probably doesn’t have.

I agree something is not right.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
That’s not fishy?
Screams of arrogance and stupidity to me, so far. Doesn't make sense to me either, but I'm not at fishy yet.

I just can't see a scenario where he went through all this and really didn't want that lucrative entertainment district for reals. Or that he wanted to dump the team more than he wanted the development in it's entirety. He would be intentionally walking away from a lot more than just this team.

Edit: I don't know the math, what is more lucrative? Owning the team and TED in it's entirety or the money he nets selling the team for relocation?

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is this referendum binding? Since the city council already approved the deal can they just go ahead regardless of the vote?

The referendum is binding on the Tempe city council's approval of the current version of the deal.

In theory Tempe could approve a new deal and go to another referendum, but that's not going to happen.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
Arizona had a chance to save the coyotes. Not an owner, not the nhl, arizona citizens in one of the most densely populated areas. And they roundly rejected them. Not even enough votes to fill what would have been the arena.

Arizona doesn’t deserve NHL hockey. f*** this POS state. It deserves all the shitty sports luck it’s had and will hopefully continue to have. I wish nothing but sadness on the fans of every stupid f***ing arizona sports team for the rest of my life and renounce any fandom I have for any of them. f*** the dbacks, f*** the suns, f*** the cardinals and f*** every single idiot in garbage town Tempe. I feel embarrassed I earned my degree in that shithole

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Selling the team is 0 risk. Going into debt billions and hoping to end up with a profit is risk.
Isn't real estate investment a big piece of what AM does for a living though and why the Entertainment District attached to the arena made so much more sense 4 hours ago than it seems now? I mean, he's a real developer/investor. Why wouldn't he want it?

Edit: I could go along with something like a recent change with his finances or something, but not that he went into it with a Dr. Evil scheme to sell the team from the beginning.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Michigan kid who saw the magic Ilitch managed to deliver with professional sports franchises in a state more poorly run than Arizona.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
4 hours ago AM was known as a real estate investor that took failing assets and turned them around. Now, he's considered a dirtbag billionaire that just used us to shamelessly flip the team for profit. I guess we were the fools and Tempe 1st was right all along lol.:sarcasm:
It looks like a good deal. And Tempe seemingly is worse off without it. Not sure why the Coyotes couldnt have invested more into making that clear to voters.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
While I understand folks frustration on here, it is very disappointing to see all the negativity and attacks on ownership. if the vote had turned differently, everyone would have been rejoicing and dare I say praising ownership.

So I will be that lone voice and thank AM, XG, and the rest of the ownership group for putting together the best deal Arizona has ever had. And even if AM sells the team, ASU and Tempe benefit from the arena upgrades, extra facilities, etc to the tune of approx 25M. I wouldn't call that person a shyster.

Think about it. This landfill has been there fore 70 years and will likely be there for 70 more or until the taxpayers pay to clean it. The damn thing caught on fire. How stupid do you have to be to see that any deal is better than what they have. Countless Tempe mayors and city council members voted for the deal. If you don't trust them, then the Coyotes or anyone else for that matter has no chance. And say what you want but Sky Harbor scare tactics I believe played a huge role.

So, if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the Tempe citizens who appear to have been uninformed and are living in a fantasy. Could AM have done more that would have made a difference in the outcome? Who knows..I haven't seen enough evidence to the contrary...just conjecture. Would I have liked to have seen the focus be different, yes. But I don't really know what they told prospective voters....maybe the said exactly what I was thinking and they didn't buy it.

It is very easy today to paint any billionaire as a greedy person and that is all people hear. But if you believe Kuby, AM had no money. So how is he a greedy billionaire?

The bottom line is the voters have spoken and we have lost. I am not mad at AM. Unfortunately, people make bad decisions all the time. And if you are not sure about that just look at who we have in Congress and what is its approval rating? We the people voted for them!

Thanks Alex!
What’s your response to this?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Take this with a grain of salt if you want because I’m going on memory….

One of the things Craig mentioned was right after the vote dropped a member of the Salt River Community reached out to him and asked if he thought the Coyotes would be interested in restarting talks with them.

I heard that. That's one of two hail Mary last hopes.

Why would AM pay all that money for the mullet addition and then sand bag this deal on purpose?

Yeah I have to agree with this. I think the man's ego got in the way. Thought everyone saw the bright lights. He probably didn't understand the demographic of the city well enough. It's more of a college town than a big city and there's enough people trying to keep it that way.

I'd love to put a tin foil hat on too. The most logical thing is this was a win-win. Make a bit of money by increasing the value of the team or selling it as a relocation. Or make a toooooooon of capital by having TED pass. This ultimately is a big loss for him. But that doesn't mean he still isn't coming out in the black

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It looks like a good deal. And Tempe seemingly is worse off without it. Not sure why the Coyotes couldnt have invested more into making that clear to voters.
I don't get why the campaign was so weak either. They had 20+ years of negativity to overcome along with a few sins of their own since taking over the team. This vote was always going to be a tough one and the campaign was crap-ola.

Edit: The deal could be the best thing since sliced bread, but if you don't trust the baker you've got nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't get why the campaign was so weak either. They had 20+ years of negativity to overcome along with a few sins of their own since taking over the team. This vote was always going to be a tough one and the campaign was crap-ola.

Edit: The deal could be the best thing since sliced bread, but if you don't trust the baker you've got nothing.
I suspect a major amount of No voters (as many as half) just assumed it was tax money on the line and they didn’t want to pay more taxes for this. Even though they wouldn’t have had to. Nobody did the expensive, hard work of educating them on that.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If this was Gilbert and it was for the Suns, and I didn’t know about the water table issue, I’d probably vote no. Just because of traffic. I don’t care about the suns. I wouldn’t want them here. So I get it. That’s probably at least half of the No votes. Jerks like me who don’t want the hassle and don’t care about the benefits. It’s not my thing.

There were enough swing voters, though, I believe to have won this election if they were able to get more effective messaging to more of them. Those that would’ve voted yes if they understood the water table issue or the tax issues better.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
He also spent millions on resources to find a suitable location, designing the plans for TED, convincing the Tempe council to vote yes, greasing wheels, and everything else in between. I don't smell fish, at least not yet.

For now I still think they underestimated just how bad the team's reputation throughout AZ really is and completely overestimated the East Valley's desire to have them. Took things for granted and got cheap at the last minute when it came to campaigning too.
I think they thought they had it in the bag….their polling showed they had 60% of the vote

At this point in time I am of the opinion that they will try another option first before moving..I don’t believe they threw this… that’s way too much work …hiring Nick Woods, designing the arena, going against Sky Harbor etc…

they could have run this with way less effort..

I expect a XG statement about how the team is committed to AZ..
But at some point someone will bring up his plan B, and I am curious how that gets answered.

they can’t leave this for weeks tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad