Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Holy mother of glad I missed it.

MBN had already signed his SHL deal. He was over on loan. The intent was he would go back, with the option to stay being his alone. The link to the comments by Berggren are spot on about development, league and player mindset. My summary post about development is impeccably crafted and offers insight well beyond most expert analysis you will find on the NHL Network.

In GR he is behind Marco and Nate. He made the right call.

NOW, my inside sources tell me Yzerman is PISSED at Berggren for providing such sound advise.

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
At least the Tweets ya'll are posting now are starting to reveal something closer to the truth than the original click-baity garbage that was trying to stir up drama lol.
How do you know the truth? I'll trust what journalists both over here and in Sweden are reporting, I doubt their tweets are garbage...

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You guys have it all wrong. MBN hooked up with Prince Fielder’s wife so Yzerman had to send him back to the SHL (which is a subjectively worse league than the AHL) instead of GR.

Walman reported it to Yzerman which is why he got traded. The future considerations for San Jose are Doug Fister.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Rather than this episode being a hurricane force tempest in a teapot and harbinger of future problems, the honest communication between the two sides and MBN being able to make his own decision seems like the best possible way to have handled the whole thing. There will be no repercussions.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Play in a development league far from home, ride a bus, and have slim odds to play for the parent club OR play in the top league in Europe, in front of (relatively) a larger more passionate crowd, where the objective is winning first, then development, where a top 6 role is a near lock and you are closer to home. It's a no brainer.

Funnier yet, with all the hand wringing going on here, that was the common sentiment by all the experts BEFORE and DURING camp. I see it again and again (accept for here) in most any search on the guy. Heck, I was looking for a salary comparison (AHL to SHL) for the guy and still ran across Malik and others saying how the better path is the SHL, the expected path is the SHL and the contracted path is the...... class!?

What is the pay differential? That I couldn't find. LOL

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Not this prospect. If Yzerman thinks MBN is almost NHL ready, then I'm sure GR would be a quicker route. That's why some people don't understand his decision including his former GM.
Anders Myrvold said he should stay in GR because he would be "a phone call away" from the big league. In theory, that is true, but chances are slim he would get his chance this year.

Personally, even as a Norwegian, I am a bit indifferent to him staying in Sweden or going to GR. There are advantages to both approaches, but I can really see why a 19 year old will stay a bit closer to family also. He is used to playing on the smaller ice surface, so that shouldn't be a big concern when he comes over. His skating, and especially lateral movement, is the thing he needs to work the most on, and it makes sense that a bigger ice surface will help there.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
It's still too early to him to be at NA. He was at Swedish 2nd level at last season. Before that he was at juniors. Now he will be at Top Men's level. Then to AHL, to conquer the NA sized rink.

The path is pretty clear.

I don’t think it’s too early as he seems closer to ready than not.

I think the issue of him being in NA is more about the logjam of prospects we have in GR right now blocking him from getting top line minutes.

The positive about having him in GR is that he’s closer to the team and to the bulk of the red wing scouts.

I always preferred him going back to Sweden and getting top line minutes. Let him become “the guy” on whatever team he plays and let him work on the areas of the game he needs to improve on.

Next year he can come to NA and either make the Wings or play for GR when Mazur, Kasper and maybe Danielson graduate.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Play in a development league far from home, ride a bus, and have slim odds to play for the parent club OR play in the top league in Europe, in front of (relatively) a larger more passionate crowd, where the objective is winning first, then development, where a top 6 role is a near lock and you are closer to home. It's a no brainer.

Funnier yet, with all the hand wringing going on here, that was the common sentiment by all the experts BEFORE and DURING camp. I see it again and again (accept for here) in most any search on the guy. Heck, I was looking for a salary comparison (AHL to SHL) for the guy and still ran across Malik and others saying how the better path is the SHL, the expected path is the SHL and the contracted path is the...... class!?

What is the pay differential? That I couldn't find. LOL

Passionate crowd...well

Oct 24th his Skellefteå will face Färjestad, where he'll find his buddy Stian Solberg, the 1st round pick who's known for hitting everything that moves. "If he tries to smoke me I'll definitely fight him", MBN said with excitement in his voice.

I'm sure the Swedish audience will enjoy that. Normally you don't see a lot of fights in the SHL :D

Rather than this episode being a hurricane force tempest in a teapot and harbinger of future problems, the honest communication between the two sides and MBN being able to make his own decision seems like the best possible way to have handled the whole thing. There will be no repercussions.
Who knows, maybe the GM liked MBN's determination. Not many prospects would have the balls to tell Yzerman how it's done.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Who knows, maybe the GM liked MBN's determination. Not many prospects would have the balls to tell Yzerman how it's done.

You never know, though I think it's more accurate to portray MBN's position as "how I would like it done in my case," For sure though it took some balls and that's hardly a bad thing.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think some of the comments that MBN has made should be taken lightly. I don't remember who on the team said it, but he called MBN the funniest guy he has met, or something along those lines.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
More interesting stuff coming out of that meeting. Sounds like Yzerman thinks MBN is close to being NHL ready, and that's why he wanted to keep him in GR. If he played well there was a chance he could be called up this season already. Most players would be thrilled if they could grab such a chance.

So I'd say MBN made a mistake. Instead of listening to his boss, he listened to his Swedish agent. You may wonder how much Skellefteå paid this agent...

MBN is not ahead of Mazur, Danielson or even Soderblom

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You guys have it all wrong. MBN hooked up with Prince Fielder’s wife so Yzerman had to send him back to the SHL (which is a subjectively worse league than the AHL) instead of GR.

Walman reported it to Yzerman which is why he got traded. The future considerations for San Jose are Doug Fister.
You're really close. I'm surprised you were willing to reveal that much insider information, but there's one key piece that isn't quite right, which will blast this controversy into another stratosphere altogether:

MBN was actually sent to the SLHL.
As in, the Saint Lucia Hockey League.

But hey, at least he'll be the best winter athlete in the Caribbean since Cool Runnings.

• Haha
Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Holy mother of glad I missed it.

MBN had already signed his SHL deal. He was over on loan. The intent was he would go back, with the option to stay being his alone. The link to the comments by Berggren are spot on about development, league and player mindset. My summary post about development is impeccably crafted and offers insight well beyond most expert analysis you will find on the NHL Network.

In GR he is behind Marco and Nate. He made the right call.

NOW, my inside sources tell me Yzerman is PISSED at Berggren for providing such sound advise.

What did Berggren say?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He is ready for the NHL when he is ready. Why are you obsessed about rushing him? Playing in the SHL vs. the AHL will have no impact on his NHL timeline. If you are expecting him in the NHL next year, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It is a possibility, but not the most likely outcome.

This is where I disagree. Playing in the SHL could absolutely impact his timeline. I'm not too concerned either way because he has 3 forwards ahead of him right now in GR already.

But he could go to Sweden and end up seeing no PP time, or after a few bad games be demoted in the lineup. If he goes this season playing 12 minutes a game you don't think it will impact him?

He's never actually ever played in the SHL. Its not a development league like people are saying and winning matters. They don't care about developing a red wings prospect. All of it likely wont matter, but saying there's no risk giving away control of the kids development is wrong as well.

Reactions: jaster

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is where I disagree. Playing in the SHL could absolutely impact his timeline. I'm not too concerned either way because he has 3 forwards ahead of him right now in GR already.

But he could go to Sweden and end up seeing no PP time, or after a few bad games be demoted in the lineup. If he goes this season playing 12 minutes a game you don't think it will impact him?

He's never actually ever played in the SHL. Its not a development league like people are saying and winning matters. They don't care about developing a red wings prospect. All of it likely wont matter, but saying there's no risk giving away control of the kids development is wrong as well.
He was on the top line and top PP in preseason so pretty unlikely he'd be demoted unless he absolutely stinks it up for a while.
If that happens, he could always do a Dvorsky and just leave.

And make no mistake; GR does not automatically give top icetime to prospects over veterans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad