We are born to hate the Habs, but which teams have you grown to dislike?.Leaf Matters

EscapeGoat

We The North
Mar 27, 2013
The Hockey Mecca
Don't like the Bruins, but I think depression exceeds the hatred when we play them.

Hated the Sens back in the day but now the rivalry is pretty much done until we meet them in the playoffs again.

Always love beating the Habs though!

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Don't like the Bruins, but I think depression exceeds the hatred when we play them.

Hated the Sens back in the day but now the rivalry is pretty much done until we meet them in the playoffs again.

Always love beating the Habs though!

Yeah, after the last game I realized why I hate the Bruins. They're just better than us and most other teams in every way and it pisses me off. Lucky fans there in Boston every one of their teams winning championships the past decade. Even if they fail here and there doesn't even matter with how much they've won, must be nice.

I used to loathe the Sens and remember fondly the way the Leafs have owned them historically in the playoffs, but the rivalry is gone and I honestly respect how good the Sens always are year after year with their cap spending. Pretty impressive. Imagine the Leafs with their frugal management and smart decisions.

Love beating the Habs but more so I wish the Habs would go through a decade of suck like we did. Every year I look at their roster and think they'll be semi-bad yet they always do well, annoying!!!!!!!

The team I hate the most is the Canucks. I just hate them, only team I have an irrational hate for. I also hate the way it seems like Canucks and Habs fans get along.....why? Why are there so many Canucks/Habs fans and Habs/Canucks fans? Exactly!

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I hate all of the other Canadian teams. I loved cheering against Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa in the finals.

On a side note, I like all of the California teams.

Noisespektrum

Jun 11, 2011
new york city
I love rivalries, Its hard for me to a hate a team that doesn't have a mutual hatred to return. I don't hate Boston because they consider Montreal as their rival and don't really care about hating the Leafs. Ottawa on the other hand Despises the Leafs and vice versa. That's a true rival and I love fueling that sort of disdain. Also Buffalo to to a lesser extent.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Boston Bruins
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Edmonton Oilers
Philadelphia Flyers
St. Louis Blues

Neutral
Anaheim Ducks
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
New York Islanders
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets
Tampa Bay Lightning

Dislike
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Montréal Canadiens
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Pittsburgh Penguins
Vancouver Canucks

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
I was raised to hate the habs from day one. My old man is from the original 6 era so cheering for any team but the Canadiens was acceptable in my household. It didn't help that Montreal was one hell of a dirty team going back which made hating them all that much easier.

I hate the fans of a few Canadian franchises. Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa the worst IMO. I'd toss Edmonton in there too but just watching that trainwreck and knowing how defeated their fan base is makes me smile.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Don't really mind the Habs, although their fans are just as obnoxious as ours when it comes to player evaluation.

Can't stand the Nucks, Sens, oilers or wings, thanks to their fans.

Can't stand the Nucks, Sabres, Bruins thanks to their players.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Definitely the Ottawa Senators. Unfortuantely I don't hate them as much as I used to for sure, but when I really started to become a Leaf fan was our annual playoff battles with them. Montreal I have a respectable dislike for them :laugh: My brothers are Habs fans so we keep the peace amongst us. The Bruins I have a respectable annoyance towards them. Respect them, but they are starting to annoy me how tough they play against us. It's something to strive towards.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I hate all of the other Canadian teams. I loved cheering against Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa in the finals.

On a side note, I like all of the California teams.

Agreed. I think the fans help. Sharks fans are very knowledgeable, and loyal. Kings fans and Mighty Ducks fans are just awesome.

Also cheered against Edmonton, Vancouver and especially Ottawa. Not Calgary though.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hate is a strong word, I don't like to use it, but I do hate the Bruins. I recently converted by fiancée to a Leafs fan (previously Nucklehead due to previous BF) and now she hates Chara and Marchand more than I think it's safe to do so... but I'm okay with it.

Not a Sens hater, feel like they're our little brother that we always beat up on but (and although we'd never admit it in public) are still kinda, sorta, okay with having around [because we get to go to his games when we can't get tickets to ours!]

Was really bent out of shape on Philly back when Keith Primeau was their 'C' but the Holmgren era has really made me empathize with them because, O Lordy! how the mighty have fallen...

Buffalo are sorta meh... The Leafs couldn't beat them for years because of Miller, but the games were still generally exciting and you never felt like the losses were because the Leafs got beat up or outplayed.

Obviously as per the article, hate the Habs. No doot aboot it.

Other than that...

Oh, Edmonton. I loathe Edmonton. But that's mainly because of Leaf fans.

Too many people here were saying: "Oh look how dumb Burke is, trading picks... Look, Kevin Lowe is a GENIUS because he's building through the draft and look how AMAZING the Oilers will be because of all those 1st OA picks!!! #mancrushonKevinLowe #wtfAreYouDoingOnTheLeafsBoards

It just made me sick. I'll never be able to express in words how pleased I am that Lowe is a complete tool and that the Oilers are still so unbelievably terrible despite having a ton of superstars.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Since Elementary school
Sens
Bruins

Since joining HFboards
Habs
Oilers (used to like)
Avalanche
Vancouver (used to like)
Winnipeg (used to like)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't really hate the Sens. They're rivals, yeah but i have respect for most of their players, plus Maclean vs Therrien last year made me love him.

Teams i hate...number 1 is definitely Vancouver. Divers, whiners they're organization is an embarrassment to the game. And they have the most annoying fans.

Hate buffalo after the Kaleta incident last season, and then Scott this pre-season.

Hate the jets as well now just because of their annoying fan base.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Rivalry with Ottawa is geographical and was fully in effect years back with all those playoff meetings (and beatings!), so I do enjoy hating Ottawa. They are a team that is more difficult to hate these days though, as I like the way they play.

The old rivalry with Detroit is the same - we have to hate them, it's Detroit after all - but I deeply respect them as a team and organisation. Can't run it better than they have . . . but since I REALLY hate Bertuzzi (he should have been kicked out of the league), can still get myself up for a good 'hate-on'.

But looking at all the other teams,
my most-hated is Philly. I hate their fans (worst fans in all of the NHL, IMHO), hate their whole goon/dirty player thing that they've had going on since the Bullies of Broadstreet, and absolutely HATE their old GM Bobby Clarke and think their management team is one of the worst in the league. Giroux is a player I used to like, but even that is waning now, and they just got Steve Downie . . . yeah, I think I hate this team even more than Montreal.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ottawa and Boston.

I grew up on the Leafs-Sens playoff battles, so quite frankly, those games mean more to me than Leafs-Habs. Leafs-Habs feels more like a 'ceremonial' rivalry than a genuine, passionate one. I am sure that will change if we ever get a playoff meeting, but as of right now, the Habs are just a team I feel like I am 'supposed to' hate; not one that I actually do.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
I hate Chara, I hate Alfredsson, I hate Gallagher, and I hate Burrows

So whatever teams they are on I hate too.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Good thread topic.

I can't hate a team just because they happen to be a rival. In fact, when Doug Gilmour played for the Habs, I became a fan of their team (after the Leafs, of course), simply because he was on the team. I'll like/dislike a team based on their management philosophies and players, and not necessarily only their rivalry with the Leafs. And even Ottawa - I've hated them because of Alfredsson and Neil, two players I can't stand because of their actions on the ice. Without Alfredsson now, they're easier to cheer for, especially because I like how Bryan Murray builds organizations.

My biggest dislikes and why:

Buffalo - foolish owner ruined the team, can't stand Scott/Kaleta, horrible city

Philadelphia - no idea how to build a solid defensive team, always hanging goalies out to dry, Scott Hartnells' hair

Vancouver - Sedin twins make me nauseous, Kesler is an arrogant ****, Kassian is a wreckless ******, Gillis is a buffoon

Calgary - Feaster, Hartley

Edmonton - All that young talent wasted, Dallas Eakins cares more about himself and his media quotes than the team

Minnesota - I can't support any team that employs Matt Cooke

Florida - Gomez? Thomas? Really?

NYI - Garth Snow, Yashin and Dipietro

Boston - ok fine, this has everything to do with the rivalry. Can't forget last season.

My likes, aside from the Leafs:

Detroit - been to several games at Joe Louis, what a fantastic atmosphere compared to Toronto. Love Datsyuk, and overall respect the organization for their success. Hate them this year more than any other year because they have Alfredsson, but overall the good (great) about the organization outweighs the bad.

NYR - I like several players on that team - Nash (get well soon), Richards, Callahan. All great leaders.

Ottawa - yup, I can cheer for them as long as they're not facing the Leafs. I like Spezza, Ryan, Karlsson, and I love how they acquired Bishop last season, and along with Anderson and Lehner, solved their goaltending issues without giving up too much. Overall, I just have alot of respect for Bryan Murray.

St. Louis - love how they've been built, so deep in talent. Big fan of Steen (prior to this season's breakout), Backes, Stewart, Pietrangelo. Hitchcock is probably the best coach in the NHL.

Colorado - big Landeskog fan (Kitchener Rangers baby), also love Duchene and O' Reilly. Patrick Roy is a bit of a spotlight lover, which irks me, but it seems to be working with this young squad. They were my pick for most improved team before the season began.

Neutral on the rest.

GLG.

Last edited:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The question that might be asked is do you 'hate' the team or the 'fan base'?
From the posts I read in this thread it seems a lot of folks hate the fan base of other teams. Seems a bit ironic coming from Leaf fans, probably one of the most hated fan bases in sports.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
bruins, canucks, ottawa, flyers, habs,

jets fans are annoying but i don't hate the team.

i did hate buffalo, but with kaletta gone i hate them less.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
Montreal
Vancouver
Pittsburgh

To those listing about a million teams. Come on.. you really only should have a top 3 or 5 going for a thread like this.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Definitely Jets... they seem like the dumbest

otherwise I don't like Habs, Canucks, Oilers and that's about it... most Sens fans aren't too bad

Bruins fans can be really annoying sometimes but I don't generally dislike the Bruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad