We are born to hate the Habs, but which teams have you grown to dislike?.Leaf Matters

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I've started to hate the Canucks mostly because of the fans here at HF and due to there obsession with us... I hated Boston for the whole Seguin/Kessel thing but now that Seguin is out of the conference and it looking like we did just as well in that trade I hate them a lot less. There is NO reason to hate Ottawa. We ALWAYS beat them. We haven't played Montreal in the playoffs in like 40 years so I don't hate them either.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I learned to like the Habs when I lived there. Also, my one time going to a Leafs game in Montreal it was kind of fun to talk to the Montreal people and have a friendly rivalry with them.

The Canucks on the other hand, I @@@@ing hate. Fans are pretty smug considering the franchise has never won a cup, ever.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I don't really hate any teams.

I enjoy the rivalry with the Habs and the Sens. Those are two teams with very bright futures. Should make for some great divisional games in the upcoming years.

Also have a ton of respect for the Bruins, despite the dirty game they played on Saturday.

Buffalo I just feel sorry for. And Vancouver fans are cute, thinking we're rivals and all.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Really dislike:
Pens- (just the way they built their team- tanking for years- getting lucky, fans were MIA and now all of a sudden their on the wagon again). They are the definition of bandwagon franchise in the NHL.

Oilers- (same as Pens, their fans on HF have a tasteless obsession with us for some reason even though half of us probably cheered on them for their cup finals. Never again though. Also Kevin Lowe and MacT don't necessarily command respect either).

Jets- another team with a unfathomable obsession with us.

Canucks- self explanatory. Their fans/franchise probably have the biggest inferiority complex in the league.

NJD- less so now but their style of game bores you to sleep. They don't have a strong fan base and couldn't even sell out playoff games despite being a great team for a while.

Respect:
Bruins- just the way they play. Perhaps not some of their fans.

Hawks- also a lot of respect.

Red Wings- model franchise

Indifferent:

Ottawa- don't hate them at all these days. I follow them closely and sometimes find myself cheering on them on occasion. They are like the little brother that can never beat you.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Jets: Obvious reasons
Sens: I lived in Ottawa... wow was it ever annoying
Buffalo: Dirty team
New Jersey: Karma coming back to bite them in full force

Kyle Doobas*

Same as Pitt the Elder - every other Canadian team besides the Flames to a certain extent. It's mostly fan-related (obviously there are exceptions in all cases), but the Canucks and Habs have been pretty easy not to like based on their style of play as well. I've never been much of a fan of the Penguins either. Call it jealousy if you want, but something just irks me about how their entire team history is more or less based around being completely terrible at the right times and getting some of the best hockey players ever to carry them to championships. It's like having a friend win the lottery, watching him turn into an uppity ******, and just when he's about to get what's coming to him.... he wins the lottery again. I guess it is jealousy. :laugh:

Also the Sabres. Formerly because of crybaby Lindy Ruff, latterly because of crybaby Ryan Miller and the idiots they employ now in Ron Rolston, John Scott, Patrick Kaleta, etc. In general there's just a sense that they lack respect for other teams, from Lindy's "no goal" speech to Rolston sending out Scott to beat up one of the league's top forwards in a pre-season game. Sending Kaleta to the minors seems to be a sign of things to come though, and they're putting together some pieces that could give them a solid core for the future, so who knows?
I guess since some others are doing it, I'll give it a go this way:

Cheer for them (to a lesser extent than the Leafs), will regularly watch games if the Leafs aren't playing
Like them, don't mind seeing them succeed at all unless it's against the Leafs

Neutral/indifferent
Dislike them, don't particularly enjoy seeing them succeed
Hate them, would feel nauseous if they won a Cup

Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
Calgary Flames

Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Phoenix Coyotes
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Buffalo Sabres
Edmonton Oilers
Ottawa Senators
Pittsburgh Penguins
Winnipeg Jets
Montreal Canadiens
Vancouver Canucks

Last edited by a moderator:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Nucks easily. Can't stand them or their fans. Oilers are suddenly catching up. I use to actually like the Oilers until I had to listen to their fans as well.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Habs: Team and Fans
Bruins: Team and Fans
Sens: Fans, slightly team
Canucks: Fans and diving team
Devils: Fans
Flyers: Team and Fans
Sabres: Team
Edmonton: Fans
Carolina: They always beat us. Not really hate I guess, more annoyance.
Winnipeg: Arrogant fans. Started hating our team for no good reason whatsoever. "No, it doesn't matter that you're happy for us like the rest of Canada, **** you anyways Toronto."

There you go.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I'm on the hate-bandwagon for Carolina too. Don't hate their fanbase, just hate the fact that Eric Staal turns into a god amongst men whenever he plays the leafs.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
It's weird because I didn't really hate the Habs growing up. They played in a different conference and we haven't played them in the playoffs in my life time. I was talking to a buddy about this the other day and he grow up a Habs fan in Montreal and his sentiment was the same, he nor his friends hated the Leafs, in fact they liked them because of players like Potvin, Lefebvre and Muller, and who didn't like Clark? Burns was loved in Montreal... So only till recent have I had a reason to start hating the Habs. Back in the day I hated Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis. Now a days I hate Vancouver, Boston and Montreal. Use to hate Buffallo cause we would always lose to them but I pitty them now....

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I try to look past fan bases as every team has it's idiots. In terms of actual teams, probably just the Sens and Habs.

blue leaves

Oct 31, 2013
vancouver.bc.ca
To answer the question, almost every other Canadian team. I used to cheer for Canadian teams (except for Ottawa/Montreal) once the Leafs bowed out, but that was before I met their fans. The irrational hatred for everything Toronto has just made me wish depression and failure among them. Calgary I will still somewhat cheer for because they were my favourite team in the west going back before this revelation.

Truly manufactured dislike through hockey, however, would be the Devils and Flyers. I mostly grew up with the Pat Quinn era Leafs, and those playoff losses to New Jersey and Philadelphia left a sour taste in my mouth.

Also **** Arturs Irbe.

I find it cute that the rest of Canada irrationally hates Toronto and think theres some sort of rivalry when there isn't :laugh:

I moved to Vancouver from Toronto and was shocked (and appalled :laugh:) by the deep resentment for the Toronto hockey club. Before moving here, I didn't watch any VAN CITY but only recently became educated on the whole Ballard area which would explain a bit of the hatred but c'mon now! The Oil fans, and there are many in BC, also try to get in on the hate party whenever opportunity arises but alas that will be a long time from now.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
There is no team I enjoy watching lose more than the Bruins, although I do respect them. I became a big Leafs fan during the Battle of Ontario days, so to this day the Senators are still my most hated team. The Canadiens are pretty awful in every way imaginable when it comes to me liking them, so they're right behind the Sens for me.

I also just don't care nearly enough about Vancouver to have an opinion. They're one of those teams like Buffalo or Washington who will probably never win a Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad