WCQF: Wild vs. Stars Series Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
TennaB on KFAN stated today on the show he got an email on Saturday about injuries ( wasnt sure how credible the info was but.....)

Vanek - out - cracked ribs
Parise - might be out for season - back

That should tell you how credible it is

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Dallas fan coming in peace! Just wanna say good luck and I think its going to come down to the wire for either team. Hopefully Parise is healthy, I enjoy watching him. Well mostly not against Dallas lol

Anyways good luck guys and maybe one of us can knock out the Hawks, unless STL finally does it lol

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
LOL if Carter, Stoll, and Prosser are considered our "edgiest" players, we are one lame team. Wish we had Clutterbuck over Nino for just this reason.

Carter loses his temper and takes a bad penalty so easily isn't not even normal.

Carter draws far more penalties than he takes and has been a playoff performer in the past. But yes, we are a lame team, and the softest one in the league.

Getting Nino for Clutterbuck is the best trade Fletcher's made.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I can see the media trying to create drama and spending too much time focusing on 1993.

They want that narrative, because they've seemingly tried to force it down Minnesotans for several years now (including a Stadium Series potential match up) among other things because no one really matches up with Dallas as a rival.

The NHL has to be giddy with this and the StL/Chicago Winter Classic match up.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
If Parise went to the Mayo, they are desperate to find a fix, and my guess is it won't be a quick fix. Might as well put him on the shelf before he does further damage, because he has a lot of years left on his contract. Disabling back pain, foot numbness, and tingling in his legs? Not good and you don't mess with it. We don't want a worse injury that will create problems next year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Heard he might be out for a year. Take it was you will.

It all depends.

If he has a large bulge vs. an extrusion of the nuclear material of the disc on a nerve root, and what procedures he chooses to do.

It could be the L4/L5 disc, obviously I have nothing to base this on, but I see this commonly.

I work with spines and these conditions everyday, and help people with debilitating back pain. In some scenarios, conservative care can also have very quick, amazing results, but likewise sometimes a surgical consult with a neuro must be done to discuss things like microdiscectomy, clean up, god forbid something like a full discectomy. But sometimes conservative care can only help so much and these surgical procedures are the next try.

Parise needs to look at this long term. Sometimes being a walking android has it's short term benefits- a couple years of relief, but that machinery fails the biological systems intelligence and persistence. And many medium to extensive spinal surgeries have high failure rates either initially, or down the line.

I hope he and the management chooses something that is actually right for Parise, whatever that ends up being.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I hope he and the management chooses something that is actually right for Parise, whatever that ends up being.

Honestly, I wonder how long he was nursing the injury? And if he was injured for a good part of the year, why didn't we shelf him?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Honestly, I wonder how long he was nursing the injury? And if he was injured for a good part of the year, why didn't we shelf him?
Russo said it happened in January and was re-aggravated last week.

Parise was diagnosed with a herniated disk that was pressing on a nerve in January. He played through the injury while getting treatment and cortisone injections. But since being tripped last week by Sharks center Logan Couture, Parise has experienced tingling in his legs, foot numbness and disabling back pain, sources say.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
With the sudden rash of injuries, Zucker goes from press box to first line winger for playoffs. That's where he was in practice anyway. oofda

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
With Torch at the helm. Dallas in four.lol

and after game 4 he will say. "I liked the energy my AHL guys played with".

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
With the sudden rash of injuries, Zucker goes from press box to first line winger for playoffs. That's where he was in practice anyway. oofda

Good opportunity for him. He was on the first line at the begging of the season it's really not new for him.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I hate to sound like such a negative Nancy but I've never been so unenthusiastic about making the playoffs in my life. I just don't like our team. I like certain players but the collective group as a whole just irritate me now.. The attitudes, the post-game comments (especially after the game 81 loss) the fact that every veteran is having a career worst year. It just feels like they couldn't care less about anything but themselves.. As much I want to see Minnesota win a cup I almost feel like this team deserves to be swept in the most embarrassing fashion possible. I can't believe I'm even typing this but between the on-ice product, the post game rhetoric, the lackadaisical "we only play when we feel like it" attitude.. This team has completely made me not like them. I feel like they don't deserve any reward what-so-ever because of what we've seen from them this season, and especially the last 5 games..

:handclap:

Sums up my feelings on the season. They have given us no reason to cheer for them despite all the support they have received throughout the years.

I can't say I'm surprised at all that Fletcher would mismanage a player's injury as short-term band-aid. I really hope this time it costs him his job.

Wild will drop the first three, play one decent game at home, and lose in five. Hopefully they make some real changes this summer because very few of the players on this roster do anything for me.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hopefully they make some real changes this summer because very few of the players on this roster do anything for me.

I don't think they will make many changes this off-season. They will tout that they made the playoffs for the 4th year in a row, despite the difficulties and the changes in coaches. They will say they seen progress and some growth with the young players, they are on the right course, next year will be better.

They aren't going to buy out Pominville, because that would be what? The 3rd player in a row that Minnesota had to buy out? Vanek isn't going to be buy out because he's going to walk after next season.

This team isn't a team. It's all about ME.

I rather just blow it up and build around Coyle, el Nino, Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon and Dumba. But we know that won't happen.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think you're completely wrong - I don't think Fletcher et.al. think they've seen progress/growth and are on the right course. I think they're very upset with the way the year has gone. I don't think even they are naive enough to try and sell the '4th year in a row' thing to this fanbase.

Now, that doesn't really mean a whole lot either (what they think). He's handcuffed regardless of how he feels about the situation, so even if they are very disappointed there's not a whole lot of flexibility.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think you guys have a great chance at winning this series. Stars' goalies haven't been steady at all and their defense is really vulnerable. Their offense is dangerous of course, but you have a solid d-core and the better goalie. Also, you have a knack for winning these 1st rounds and knocking out the Central division champs.

You just have to get your guys back from injury reserve, especially Parise and Haula and you'll have a great chance. That slump you had at the end of the season doesn't mean anything when the puck drops on Thursday. We put up a great series against the Hawks last season even though we entered the playoffs in a six-game losing streak. Remember, the Hawks had a six-game losing streak entering the playoffs, too.

Anyway, the best of luck to you, I really hope you knock out the Stars!

PS. You'll want to kill Roussell when this series is over. He's piece of ****.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I think you guys have a great chance at winning this series. Stars' goalies haven't been steady at all and their defense is really vulnerable. Their offense is dangerous of course, but you have a solid d-core and the better goalie. Also, you have a knack for winning these 1st rounds and knocking out the Central division champs.

You just have to get your guys back from injury reserve, especially Parise and Haula and you'll have a great chance. That slump you had at the end of the season doesn't mean anything when the puck drops on Thursday. We put up a great series against the Hawks last season even though we entered the playoffs in a six-game losing streak. Remember, the Hawks had a six-game losing streak entering the playoffs, too.

Anyway, the best of luck to you, I really hope you knock out the Stars!

PS. You'll want to kill Roussell when this series is over. He's piece of ****.

support appreciated, but Parise as far as we can all tell is donezo. and if he came back, not sure how effective he'd be with a bum back and a potential to cause more problems thus impacting him for next year too

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
support appreciated, but Parise as far as we can all tell is donezo. and if he came back, not sure how effective he'd be with a bum back and a potential to cause more problems thus impacting him for next year too

Well, that sucks but sometimes that isn't so horrible situation. Players can't hide behind the star player if the results don't come and everybody has to step up their game and contribute.

Same goes for Dallas, they may not have Seguin ready for the start of the series. They may rush him back which isn't a good thing considering his health now and long-term.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
true you can't hide behind your star players, but dude is a big valued piece of the team, so is Vanek (sometimes), we need all the potential goal scorers we can get. Otherwise we are relying on guys who are so so at scoring to help us out. Strange things happen though, Zucker could be a hero, coyle was stout last year, pommer, haula, and nino could catch fire again.

Just gotta drop the puck and see.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it's great that we get another playoff series to watch, for all the complaining about the Wild's performance during the year. This is the time of the year where you get to see what you really have, especially with the young players. A player like a Zucker can redeem himself, or a Nino/ Coyle/ Granlund can confirm a rep as a playoff warrior.

If a player's value happens to get pumped up, and facilitate an of season trade, then that's a benefit also.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
true you can't hide behind your star players, but dude is a big valued piece of the team, so is Vanek (sometimes), we need all the potential goal scorers we can get. Otherwise we are relying on guys who are so so at scoring to help us out. Strange things happen though, Zucker could be a hero, coyle was stout last year, pommer, haula, and nino could catch fire again.

Just gotta drop the puck and see.

Yeah, you a got lot of weapons even behind Parise, lots of potential secondary scoring, guys who can score and win this series. But no way you'll ever win this series if you start scoring competitions with the Stars. Defense and Dubnyk have to have near perfect series in order for you to advance. In the end, overall you're a lot better team on paper.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
They'll win 1 game.

I keep going back to the fact the Wild have lead against them by 3 goals on a couple of occasions this year and then completely fell apart. Their saving grace is there is no 3-on-3 in the playoffs.

I just don't see them pulling this one off though. Stars are weak after their Top 6 and Top D pairing with questionable goaltending. The issue will come down exactly to what it always comes down to with the Wild in the playoffs: special teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad