GDT: Preseason Game 2: Red Wings vs chicago 9/27/24 7:00 pm et

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Are you thinking of Maatta?

Chiarot was 2nd in TOI/G among defensemen, 1st in ES, 3rd in PK. He had 64% defensive zone starts.

He wasn't sheltered.

my phrasing could have been better. His best run of play last year came in sheltered minutes when he and Holl were together. His pairings with Petry and Seider were both very bad.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
my phrasing could have been better. His best run of play last year came in sheltered minutes when he and Holl were together. His pairings with Petry and Seider were both very bad.

Like I said in another post, he's playing above where he would ideally be slotted. If he played Holl and Maatta's usage, he'd look like the best Dman not named Seider.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
From what I saw, Wallinder looked terrific. I remain much higher on him than others it seems. Even the organization rarely mention him.
I dont think that anyone is really down on him, most seem to have high hopes that he'll develop into something special. Seems one of those rare instances where he was drafted as a bit of a long term project and fans are, uncharacteristically, being patient in the hopes he'll reach his potential. I suppose there are enough other prospects commanding the spotlight and frustrations of fans so Wallinder is flying a bit under the radar.
I liked what I saw in this game, but I was not watching all that intently.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
From what I saw, Wallinder looked terrific. I remain much higher on him than others it seems. Even the organization rarely mention him.
You're not the only one, i said in 2020 after the draft that Wings just got one of the biggest steals in that draft. I had Wallinder going in the 1st round, #20 overall but luckily for us, a bunch of GMs didn't see the forrest from the trees. Wallinder has had the tools to become a 1st pair D in NHL but he's been a long term project from day 1. I remember that i said, it is going to take 5-6 years before he plays his first NHL game. So far he's been on that track, this season in a big role in GR and next season he gets his first games. And starts in Detroit 2026-27.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
You're not the only one, i said in 2020 after the draft that Wings just got one of the biggest steals in that draft. I had Wallinder going in the 1st round, #20 overall but luckily for us, a bunch of GMs didn't see the forrest from the trees. Wallinder has had the tools to become a 1st pair D in NHL but he's been a long term project from day 1. I remember that i said, it is going to take 5-6 years before he plays his first NHL game. So far he's been on that track, this season in a big role in GR and next season he gets his first games. And starts in Detroit 2026-27.
Hoping you're right. A strong showing in these preseason games would be a nice step in that direction for him.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Or maybe it's that people understand he's a decent defenseman who's being ultilized above where he ideally would be in the lineup because the Wings blueline isn't very good.

With Ed on the team and some prospects coming up, hopefully that won't be the case for much longer.

that would make a lot more sense if I didn't see people also arguing that a Chiarot-Seider pairing would be fine

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Now do QoC. Who those minutes were against was at a lower level than the year before.

Maatta by virtue of being a babysitter had ridiculously sheltered minutes. He was underutilized relative to his abilities. Chiarot is being overutilized relative to his abilities.
Screenshot_20240928_221440_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240928_221658_Chrome.jpg

Last season and year before. Quality of competition is slightly higher last season. Chiarot was not sheltered.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I had Wallinder at #14 if I remember right. For people that constantly plead with them to take homerun cuts, Wallinder's skating and size are a legitimate homerun cut out of management. Yes, he was going to take a lot of work, but that is on us surrounding him. I think he also is a guy that needs a Mo and Edvinsson established on the roster so he can transition with more control. Some of our guys failing over the last while did come up in a very tough environment that wasn't too forgiving while they tried to figure out the NHL. Important to have some decent building blocks to help slot guys in the right roles and the right development environment. Very important year for him though to prove trustworthy in his own end as that is his likely role for this organization.

Dan Watson should explain to Tuomisto, Buium, and Wallinder being a big body PK guy is important to filling out this future roster.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Now do QoC. Who those minutes were against was at a lower level than the year before.

Maatta by virtue of being a babysitter had ridiculously sheltered minutes. He was underutilized relative to his abilities. Chiarot is being overutilized relative to his abilities.

You think being on the PK and playing the most ES minutes that Chiarot isn't out against tough competition?

I agree he's being overutilized relative to his abilities, but he's often the least bad option. Maatta hasn't averaged over 20 minutes since his second season in the league. There's a reason for that. I like Maatta but he's being utilized about where he should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad