Best Playoff Performances Post 2000

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Not Voting McDavid as the best individual playoff performance and perhaps the best of all time here is just
McDavids playoff run made Geno look pedestrian.

Let's be real here and stop blowing smoke.
Oh please, give the McDavid nut-hugging a rest. Malkin was only .18 PPG off of McDavid's rate but did so with bottom six linemates in a lower scoring era and against better teams/goaltenders. There was nothing "pedestrian" about that run.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As an objective third party who isn't a Ducks fan, J.S. Giguere's performance in 2003 remains the craziest playoff performance I have ever seen. That team had no business being where it did, and the number of absolutely eye popping ridiculous saves he made was just astounding. I have to drop a "AINEC" here. There have been excellent performances before and since then, but that was just a whole different level.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Came to post this also.

How about Makar scoring 29 points in 20 games. Unbelievable as a defenseman, but probably still to recent to cement a place in history.

But Crosby was amazing during that run in '08.
It's a shame Makar did it in 2022 and before his performance got a chance to settle into our minds we had Bouchard put up arguably the best playoff run by a defenseman since skating was invented.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There was a thread for this topic on the History forum back in 2019 (Best playoff performance individually since 2000?). The clear winners then, by 71 people voting, were:
47% -- Malkin 2009
27% -- Giguere 2003
11% -- Thomas, 2011

Nobody else received more than 1 vote, except for Jonathan Quick, who got five votes (7%).

It's a little surprising to me that Thomas received as few votes as he did, but I guess the counter-argument to him is that Boston's defence was so strong that even an average goalie would have a chance to win (of course, you can say the same for any goalie on a great club). I think Giguere being a bit lower is correct, just because he wasn't that great in the Finals (he was lights-out in every round prior).

If we did this vote again today, I'd be pretty sure that Kucherov '20 and '21, Vasilevskiy '21, Makar '22, and McDavid '24 would get some love.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Not Voting McDavid as the best individual playoff performance and perhaps the best of all time here is just

If McDavid was as dominant as Malkin was that year the Oilers would have 6 cups. But McDavid probably puts up 3 points in the third period of game 5 against DET unlike Malkin so you could keep moaning over his numbers.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Or maybe Geno wouldn't set the playoff mark due to his better linemates stealing some of his points?
You think Mcdavid got less points because he had Hyman on his line and RNH? Lol. Sid also got the benefit of his line having great chemistry and so did others that put up points. That's the point gms aim for by getting players, to hope for surrounding talent with more talent. Malkin has always been shafted with that, he's been used as a placeholder for Crosby's line. There's very small stretches in his career where he's had a unit of wingers for more than 2 seasons. If even that.

But what Evgeni Malkin did with a busted Sykora, Fedotenko, and Talbot is nothing short of one the best playoff performances since the lockout, period. But because it's Malkin, he never gets the credit he deserves. They couldn't even see it fit to put him in the top 100 players, which was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen by these idiots that make those lists.

Malkin will go down as the second best Russian to play the game for most and that's fine. But the Penguins also don't accomplish any of the things Sid is hailed for, without Malkin. Same goes for Mcdavid without Draisaitl.

If Malkin had better wingers, something this team has refused to do on the regular as long as Sid has had his unit of winfgers, Malkin's career would be with less doubts for many. That playoff is goated for Malkin and will remain that way. He turned Talbot into a local legend.

Blokes here get super riled up because it undermines some player they think to be better when it isn't the case. It's showing admiration for a HHOF caliber player that did something very few generational players in this current era, are capable of. Even if you hate the Pens, that should be something you find remarkable.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
IMO a silly list to make. Great teams will take 16-20 games to win the Cup. But lets celebrate players and teams who took longer and were able to pad their stats more with potentially 12 more games to do it in.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

In a higher scoring era I sure hope he does.

Geno's linemates were Fedotenko and Talbot, not Draisaitl, Hyman, Bouchard and company.

It's not like Sid and Geno played on a line regularly.

Reactions: PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad