WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean c'mon... we have only been responding to the prevailing HF wisdom around here:
2018-2020: Oilers can't even make the playoffs
2020: Oilers still can't even make the playoffs, the play-ins are not playoffs
2021: Oilers can't win a game in the playoffs
2022: Oilers can't even win a game against any real teams, Calgary (being 6th in NHL) doesn't count
2023: Oilers maybe won a game or two vs Vegas, but still can't beat good teams and haven't won a game past 2nd round
2024: It doesn't matter one bit that Edmonton lost to cup champs two years running... Oilers still haven't beaten a good team (Van, being 6th, still doesn't count)...

But heck, at least we managed to win a game in the third round. It's baby steps for us OilFans right?
Ya'll can't have it both ways. Which is it, are the Oilers beating themselves because their opponents suck, or are the opponents good?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Stars came out flat and Oilers dominated the first getting up 2-0 pretty quickly and could have had more. Reverse happened and Oilers didn't get a shot in the 2nd for 13 minutes or so and over that time Dallas got 3 goals on 15 shots or so. Last bit of 2nd settled down and Oilers managed to tie it up. Third was even. Skinner came up with some big saves and then let in a weak goal where he should of had the post completely shut off but let just enough space for Robertson to shovel one in for a hattrick. Empty netter after that and Bob's your uncle.
False.

Stars had 2 shots in the 3rd, neither were of the 'high danger' variety, and the Stars scored on one of them which was the winner.

Skinner sucking is the story of the playoffs.. for the 2nd year in a row. With Pickard in net, this series might be 2-1 the other way.

Oilers just need average goaltending to have a chance.

.900 and the series is tied.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
False.

Stars had 2 shots in the 3rd, neither were of the 'high danger' variety, and the Stars scored on one of them which was the winner.

Skinner sucking is the story of the playoffs.. for the 2nd year in a row.
It's the story of every series the Oil play. Even the ones they manage to win.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
Baby steps, indeed. Final four team for the second time in 3 years with a bottom 5 defence and goaltender (according to the geniuses on here) is actually quite the accomplishment.

Final four team but fans of our two previous round opponents would rather defecate on themselves than give credit to the Oilers.
"We're a final 4 team, dammit!"

c3ZmILL.png

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"We're a final 4 team, dammit!"

c3ZmILL.png
I mean did you see the way the Rangers have played most of these playoffs? They're damn lucky to be tied.

Ya'll can't have it both ways. Which is it, are the Oilers beating themselves because their opponents suck, or are the opponents good?
The Stars are a good team but the Oilers are still handing things to them on a silver platter.

Reactions: PuckG

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I mean did you see the way the Rangers have played most of these playoffs? They're damn lucky to be tied.

The Stars are a good team but the Oilers are still handing things to them on a silver platter.
Difference between the Rangers and Oilers is goaltending, enough said. One goalie is stealing games for his team, the other is stealing games for the opposition.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ironic you are completely ignoring how for the last few years Oiler fans here have proudly stated "this is our year" or how McDavid said "Cup or bust" this year. Every year the same aspect of the Oilers fails them, goaltending and defense. And it wont change until that is addressed. Until the Oilers fix those issues, they will never be a legitimate cup threat.

McDavid (I actually thought it was Drai, but whatever) did say cup or bust this time last year after our loss to Vegas. I'm wondering if they still felt that way when we failed to upgrade our D and goaltending... but nevertheless, he said it, and that's what you want your captain to say... set the standard at the ultimate prize, nothing less.

However the rest is just patently false. Edmonton fans... we have many... so you can't account for all fanatic takes. But in general our fan group did not feel that this team would have what it takes unless we upgraded goaltending or D or both at the deadline. That was an overwhelming consensus AND I would add, we were pretty aligned on tactics... most looking squarely at Ceci or Skinner or both.

Of course you won't believe me, so here are threads from our board at the beginning of the season:

What is the Oiler Achille’s Heel to a Championship Noteable quotes:
  • Defence
  • Goaltending
  • Why not both?
  • C'mon guys, all we need is love
And then this thread where the Athletic picked us to win... note the negativity in the thread: The Athletic Season Preview has Oilers being Cup Favorites Notable quotes:
  • Jynx
  • " I think it’s naive to have a lot of confidence in Stu or Soup"
  • "I feel like we're still missing another top4 dman, which I hope Kenny can address come trade deadline. If we can add that plus maybe another 4th line center like a Bjugstad"
  • "This makes me skeptical" - highlights Ceci and Desharnais in our lineup
  • "Goaltending is make or break and we can't be doofuses in our own zone defensively if we want to have a shot"
  • "3 things will internally make me more confident. Getting a top 4 dman by the deadline. Seeing the goaltending at around 910. PK being close to top 10"
  • "The last 15 years have made me skeptical….lol"

The majority of our fanbase knew right from the start that goaltending and D were suspect. Very few were drinking the koolaid.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Why not, every series is different. We beat Vancouver in spite of our goaltending being pretty terrible. Their third string guy outperformed our top guy... Our D played VERY well in that series...

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ironic you are completely ignoring how for the last few years Oiler fans here have proudly stated "this is our year" or how McDavid said "Cup or bust" this year. Every year the same aspect of the Oilers fails them, goaltending and defense. And it wont change until that is addressed. Until the Oilers fix those issues, they will never be a legitimate cup threat.
Yea it's funny how they're paraded around every year as a cup contender, despite never actually beating another contender in the playoffs.

Then they wanna cry that they've beaten some good teams, while at the same time refusing to acknowledge another team is good only that they beat themselves. Riddle me that

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Deshairnai out for Broberg. Glad to hear that Nurse is staying in, he benefits Dallas.
Coach would need insane brass ones to healthy scratch a 9mil defenseman in the playoffs. Broberg is going to play minimal minutes too. Maybe if Stetcher was healthy youd scratch Nurse for him, but you wouldnt for Broberg.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Yes. The Kings f***ing suck. Every realistic Kings fan knew they weren't going anywhere with this goaltending
Don’t worry, I expected it from the Kings. I did not expect it from the Canucks.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Difference between the Rangers and Oilers is goaltending, enough said. One goalie is stealing games for his team, the other is stealing games for the opposition.
I could see the argument for game 3 sure but the Oilers did themselves zero favours in game 2 when Skinner delivered a pretty strong game

Plus playing only one period of hockey isn't a formula for success. Who knew.

Yes. The Kings f***ing suck. Every realistic Kings fan knew they weren't going anywhere with this goaltending
I'm honestly tired of this. Whenever the Oilers do well it's always because everyone else sucks.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Coach would need insane brass ones to healthy scratch a 9mil defenseman in the playoffs. Broberg is going to play minimal minutes too. Maybe if Stetcher was healthy youd scratch Nurse for him, but you wouldnt for Broberg.

It would take a coach with some balls to do that. I would have taken out Ceci for Broberg. Deshairnai has been good and he brings physicality. Broberg is soft and that benefits dallas.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Its so weird, Vegas had great success with their cap spread pretty evenly(relatively), while Edmonton is so front loaded yet seeing great success this season as well.
I know sports is way more than just roster construction and cap allocation but this is really facinating for me.

Reactions: D Wakaluk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad