Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think this trade may require additional moves to stay cap compliant, I would propose the following:

To VGK: Eichel

To BUF: Tuch, Stephenson, Smith*, 2022 1st, 2023 1st

*VGK reacquire Smith after a series of trades......

To NSH: Smith (50% retained)

To BUF: NSH 3rd

Then.....

To VGK: Smith (25% of original contract after NSH retention)

To NSH: VGK 2nd, CHI 5th

Vegas top 6 of:

Patches-Eichel-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith

Smith to NYR
Kravtsov to Buffalo
Plus a bunch of other parts in a 3 team deal W Vegas

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They would potentially run into the "tagging" rule where you can't go over the cap in future seasons by more than 10%, but I'm unsure how that works when players are on LTIR etc. Think that VGK simply has to dump a bunch of cap still to make this work.
Will
Buffalo need to take salary back to stay above the cap floor?

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
All I do is trade, trade, trade no matter what (What)
Got ticket sales on my mind, I can never get enough ('Nough)
And every time I call up other GMs
Insider tweets go up
And they say where? (There), and they say where? (Yeah)
Where you gettin the cap there?? Up, down, up, down, up, down
'Cause all I do is trade (Trade), trade (Trade), trade
And if you not buying tickets, then we don't really care

Absolute gold, I was legitimately singing the tune in my head as I was reading this lol. Well done.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Peyton Krebs is gonna be a really good player. This trade only really makes sense with him involved. But I thought Vegas said no to that?

Reactions: Team Cozens

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Has to be Tuch going the other way for Vegas. He's the only mid-to-large salary Vegas player with term that doesn't have an NTC.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's a LOT of NTC's on Vegas which limits who they can trade, I highly, highly doubt any of them waive for Buffalo.

They need to shell out salary so your big options are only Smith, Martinez or Tuch.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
VGK derps for biggest, shiniest toy it can get yet again. SMH. They should have just developed the centers they drafted instead of losing additional resources due to hastiness

The Knights have played 46 playoff games in their 3 total seasons in the NHL.

I don't think they've given much reason to doubt their methods so far.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Does right now.
Eichel is on IR not LTIR. So there are some cap issues. Flames would have to move out about 8.7mil for example. Im not sure you can technically trade someone on LTIR without them coming off it for administration purposes first. Thats definitely a question for the CBA gurus.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Will
Buffalo need to take salary back to stay above the cap floor?
Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean they need to do it in an eichel trade. I'm sure they could find a team willing to pay them a mid round pick to take on a bad contract

Reactions: Fatass

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
They would potentially run into the "tagging" rule where you can't go over the cap in future seasons by more than 10%, but I'm unsure how that works when players are on LTIR etc. Think that VGK simply has to dump a bunch of cap still to make this work.

Exactly my point. If they're planning on playing Eichel (which is obviously a given at some point if they're trading for him) they simply can't hold on to the rest of that roster, even if Eichel is about to miss the rest of the regular season this year.

Reactions: timw33

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They said that when they got stone, and when they got Petro… they’re making the same mistake the sharks did and trying to go top heavy. It reeks of desperation for a fanbase losing interest and pieces on LtIR. This is a blatant distraction to keep the fans interested.

Yeah what terrible moves those have turned out to be

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
There's absolutely no way Vegas can stay cap compliant adding Eichel without sending major salary back to Buffalo. There most certainly is a roster player or two heading to Buffalo if Eichel is going to Vegas. Dadonov, maybe?
Right, I agree, which why is said Vegas is in no position to give up a roster player in a trade, unless they are signalling they are giving up on this year.

because if they trade anyone for Eichel, with the injuries they have they'd have a hard time icing a competent roster.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

They only have around 73m committed to next season so far.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
With Pacioretty and Tuch on the IR, Vegas has nearly 6 million in cap space, so now would be a good time to make it happen...

Krebs would almost certainly be involved, likely a 1st rd pick as well...

To Vegas: Eichel

To Buffalo: L.V.'s 2022 1st, L.V.'2 2023 1st, Krebs, Dadonov

Buffalo doesn’t really need picks that much anymore, especially as main pieces. Why would Buffalo bring Dadonov in if they are embracing a team culture that plays a 200 foot game? He also has a 10 team no trade clause. Smith is better suited as a cap dump for both teams. I would have to think that Stephenson is going the other way.

Tuch
Stephenson
Smith
Vegas 1st 2022
Vegas 2nd 2023

For Eichel

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They only have around 73m committed to next season so far.

Ok, so it should be alright tagging rule wise, especially if any contracts going into next year are going back the other way (which seems like it would have to based on how complex this could get).

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I like the sound of that.

Vegas getting a #1 center and Eichel hopefully getting on with his medical treatment so he can get on with the recovery and get back to playing.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
VGK derps for biggest, shiniest toy it can get yet again. SMH. They should have just developed the centers they drafted instead of losing additional resources due to hastiness
I read that last sentence as '..due to tastiness'

and didnt even second guess it

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
You cant keep trading away core pieces of your team to chase the biggest name on the market. The top teams are usually models of consistency.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Don't mind VG landing Eichel, they will have a 3 year window left for the SC before it starts closing, just in time when my Sens should be looking to contend, got no personal issues with him going to Vegas. But not sure why Buffalo would do this though, VG doesn't have enough quality assets to give back for someone of Eichel's caliber, they will not get nearly enough value for him I don't think. Hope it gets done one way or another anyhow, I think everyone is ready to move on from hearing his name in every single hockey news story at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad