Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eichel is a Sabres player. The Sabres gave him the $10M per contract. He suffered a hockey related injury playing for the Sabres.

The Sabres want the acquiring team to take on all of the money in a flat cap Covid NHL economy and the risk of the disc replacement surgery.

The Sabres want multiple young assets for a player with a bad neck.

Is there any wonder why this trade hasn't been made yet?

I mean if we want to be real, the issue here is that Eichel is refusing to get the standard surgery for his neck and wants specifically the disc replacement surgery. Eichel's "bad neck" is only an issue because Eichel wants an "experimental" surgery. And by "experimental", I mean something that NHL players haven't done before.

It's Eichel's right to demand whatever surgery he wants, but this issue would have been resolved months ago had Eichel just been willing to take the existing surgery that is proven to work.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Eichel is a Sabres player. The Sabres gave him the $10M per contract. He suffered a hockey related injury playing for the Sabres.

The Sabres want the acquiring team to take on all of the money in a flat cap Covid NHL economy and the risk of the disc replacement surgery.

The Sabres want multiple young assets for a player with a bad neck.

Is there any wonder why this trade hasn't been made yet?
The Sabres have been historically bad for the last decade. The previous regime traded away the other great player we had in the organization and it was the worst trade in team history. There is a dynamic here where even with the injury, Adams just cannot lose too badly on this trade. This thing hasn't been pretty but I am fairly confident the Sabres are going to get more in return now than they would have if they had traded him at the draft or over the summer.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If this moves the needle, there must be lot of teams lining up.
That's a great package. Zary, Pelletier, and another 1st round pick would do wonders to the Buffalo prospect pool moving forward. Monahan and Zadorov can either be used as trade bait, or to help build a core for these young players to step into.

Reactions: flamesforcup

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Sabres have been historically bad for the last decade. The previous regime traded away the other great player we had in the organization and it was the worst trade in team history. There is a dynamic here where even with the injury, Adams just cannot lose too badly on this trade. This thing hasn't been pretty but I am fairly confident the Sabres are going to get more in return now than they would have if they had traded him at the draft or over the summer.

I dunno man, at least there was a return for RoR; Ray Sheppard was $1 for 5 30 goals seasons; one of which he potted 52.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I dunno man, at least there was a return for RoR; Ray Sheppard was $1 for 5 30 goals seasons; one of which he potted 52.

Though the trade was bad Sheppard was never near the realm of an impact player. His skating was terrible, one of the softest players in the league and he wouldn't be able to tell you where his own zone was. He was sent to the AHL that season because he stopped scoring and then got injured and Sabres were going to buy him out.

I'd say the worst ones is Sabres goalie trades. Barrasso + a pick for Bodger and Shannon. Trading Puppa, Andreychuk + 1st rnd pick (Kenny Jönsson) for Fuhr and Hasek to Detroit for Kozlov and a late late 1 rounder (Jim Slater).

I dont want to make any Sabres fans cry but I have to mention "No negotiation during the season policy".... Bye Drury and Briere...

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I could see this being close to the return which is funny because it's worse value wise than most of the proposals that fans of interested teams have been laughed at for by Sabres fans.
Through your Rangers colored glasses. Honestly, there have been doozies, but the only team's fans that have been consistently silly in what they are willing to give up are the Rags (or should I say the 2nd coming of the 80's oilers given their incredible, untouchable prospect pool)

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Sabres will not clear him to just play tin the Olympics even if he was healthy. His dad is quoted as saying he
Will never play for the Sabres again.

It would not surprise me at all if he plays game 1 post trade.

there are questions about the injury and when it happened.

prior to the injury he might have previously injured it on his own in offseason causing a weakness in his shoulder and arm which affected his shooting ability.

If Eichel files a greivrnce this stuff on him causing it himself due to contracted activity avoidance violation will come out.

both Calgary and Vegas VP of pro scouting were at Sabres games in metro LA.

They have some equivalencies if the asks are similar

from Calgary Zary+ Anderssen+Tkachuk + 1st in 2023
From Vegas Krebs+ Theodore+Tuch + 2023 1st

Calgary doesn’t have the cap issues that vegas has with prior injured players. It might be easier to do it with Calgary. Vegas might be trying to use a 3rd team to retain on Eichel where Calgary oesnt.

If the Flames give up that package for Eichel, then Treliving needs to go. Andersson is a legit right-shot, top-pairing D on a team-friendly deal. Replacing him is next to impossible. Losing him and Tkachuk, while not having Eichel playing, would tank the Flames for this season.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
VGK derps for biggest, shiniest toy it can get yet again. SMH. They should have just developed the centers they drafted instead of losing additional resources due to hastiness

Foley knows the team needs to win a cup or keep having deep playoff runs to sustain fan interest. Hence why hes OK with them going all-in like every year.

It has been interesting seeing an expansion team constantly go for the big fish. Usually they just suck for a half decade +.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I mean if we want to be real, the issue here is that Eichel is refusing to get the standard surgery for his neck and wants specifically the disc replacement surgery. Eichel's "bad neck" is only an issue because Eichel wants an "experimental" surgery. And by "experimental", I mean something that NHL players haven't done before.

It's Eichel's right to demand whatever surgery he wants, but this issue would have been resolved months ago had Eichel just been willing to take the existing surgery that is proven to work.

Given GM Jacks attitude/rep, I bet you he saw this as a way out of Buffalo.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Would the Sabres do Monahan +prospects/picks?
Could Monahan be a part of the deal? Sure. But not as a centerpiece. He's a seriously declining asset with only one year left on his contract. Not to mention he has a no move clause and likely doesn't waive for the Sabres. I do have some interest on the Sabres end to have him help shelter some of the team's young, developing centers.

If he's included, its likely just to balance out salary caps, while young prospects/talent are the centerpiece.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If Kim is still running the show, I don't believe a word of this.

Us Sabres fans feel that Adams is more of a President of Hockey Ops than the GM, and that Karmanos is the GM. Or basically that Adams is the one with a backbone telling the Pegulas accepting any trade return is a colossal f***up, and they trust him enough to be THAT petty.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
This isn't happening. Vegas would need two of Tuch,Dadonov,Smith gone plus Janmark (with at least one million retained in salary as well). Buffalo likely isn't going to be interested in those players too (besides tuch), so they will have to give futures as well. Way too expensive for Vegas.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Could Monahan be a part of the deal? Sure. But not as a centerpiece. He's a seriously declining asset with only one year left on his contract. Not to mention he has a no move clause and likely doesn't waive for the Sabres. I do have some interest on the Sabres end to have him help shelter some of the team's young, developing centers.

If he's included, its likely just to balance out salary caps, while young prospects/talent are the centerpiece.
There is no centerpiece, they want prospects and 1st rounders etc don't they? They just need an NHL top 6 contract to balance the money.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The standard surgery is spinal fusion surgery. Chances are Eichel will need to have that surgery again at some point in his life. Derek Dorsett had spinal fusion surgery. He didn't play very long after having the surgery.

Other teams will allow Eichel to have the disc replacement surgery. A team isn't trading for Eichel and starting the same shit with him over the type of surgery. The Sabres should have allowed Eichel to have the disc replacement surgery 5-6 months ago.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The standard surgery is spinal fusion surgery. Chances are Eichel will need to have that surgery again at some point in his life. Derek Dorsett had spinal fusion surgery. He didn't play very long after having the surgery.

Other teams will allow Eichel to have the disc replacement surgery. A team isn't trading for Eichel and starting the same shit with him over the type of surgery. The Sabres should have allowed Eichel to have the disc replacement surgery 5-6 months ago.

And Kris Letang also had that surgery and is still performing at an elite level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad