Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
There's risk with neck surgery period. Stop acting like a morally superior jilted lover.

You always approach conversations by insulting people? I was making a point and you literally spelled it out in the first sentence and then insulted me in the second one.

That's literally objectively 100% the point. Eichel isn't confident enough in ADR to get it himself, this means he acknowledges there is great risk there. I could give two shits which surgery he gets but y'all be acting like he is being completely reasonable for only being willing to get one kind of surgery while also simultaneously not having the conviction to just do it himself because of the risk. He wants to go against his contract and the CBA while still having the CBA and his contract protect him from all risk. Well I am sorry but you don't get to have it both ways. Either you adhere to the CBA and it protects you, or you don't and it doesn't.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It’s almost like the Sabres aren’t gonna trade Eichel for an even more reduced price than they originally are.
In this case I don't think that's the issue, it's more making the money work. The more Vegas players keep getting injured the less likely this trade becomes.

This was always going to be the biggest issue with waiting out the entire offseason to trade eichel. It's just incredibly difficult to move a player making $10 million midseason.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
The longer this goes, the lesser the return is going to be.

There’s no way Vegas, Calgary, or Anaheim didn’t offer the package that eventually gets accepted back in August, when Eichel could’ve had his surgery and been ready in time for Christmas.

Every day that goes by decreases the chance that he’s even able to come back and help for the playoffs.

So if the ask is multiple impact roster players, + blue chip prospects, + 1st round picks, for a player that may not even be able to help you this season, that deal isn’t getting done.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The longer this goes, the lesser the return is going to be.

There’s no way Vegas, Calgary, or Anaheim didn’t offer the package that eventually gets accepted back in August, when Eichel could’ve had his surgery and been ready in time for Christmas.

Every day that goes by decreases the chance that he’s even able to come back and help for the playoffs.

So if the ask is multiple impact roster players, + blue chip prospects, + 1st round picks, for a player that may not even be able to help you this season, that deal isn’t getting done.

The ask is prospects and 1sts. The addition of a roster player is more of a “cap dump” than a part of the return that Buffalo wants.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Cap strapped Knights need help getting a $10 million player. Come on man... It's like every force in the universe is telling these guys to be patient. Their fans don't deserve to watch this crash and burn but I'm getting worried for their sake that this will

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The ask is prospects and 1sts. The addition of a roster player is more of a “cap dump” than a part of the return that Buffalo wants.
It matters to buffalo as well though. They have to get back around ~$5 million in salary to remain cap compliant.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

If that’s the case, why isn’t it done?

I’ve heard they want everything from Lindholm, Hanifin, Mangiapane, Dube, Theodore, Tuch, a bunch of stuff they shouldn’t remotely be concerned with.

1st, Pelletier/Zary, Coronato, cap dump (Zadorov, say) - what else do you need?

How good does Buffalo really think Peyton Krebs is? He was a 17th overall pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still think the Sabres are being dumb by not being willing to retain.

You can very likely get another 1st round pick or an equivalent prospect if you retain like $2 million on Eichel's deal. If your cap structure gets messed up because of a $2 million cap penalty as the cap is skyrocketing towards $100 million, you shouldn't be a GM of a team to begin with.

Reactions: Avs44

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I’ve seen idiots say krebs is a better prospect than mctavish. I would rather have zary as well, I just don’t see krebs being anything more than a 2nd line center
I agree on McTavish -- I'd take him over Krebs in a heartbeat. Same with Newhook and Eklund obviously. Zary, meh, maybe.

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
This seems like an end result where he doesn’t end up in Vegas and Vegas says “we tried”, it didn’t work.” Idk if Calgary shakes things up now with the way they’re playing as it probably takes someone off the active roster. Anaheim has and still does make the most sense to me

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Just comes down to which bad contracts Arizona is taking and what they get for it.

Reactions: YP44

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I still think the Sabres are being dumb by not being willing to retain.

You can very likely get another 1st round pick or an equivalent prospect if you retain like $2 million on Eichel's deal. If your cap structure gets messed up because of a $2 million cap penalty as the cap is skyrocketing towards $100 million, you shouldn't be a GM of a team to begin with.
I'm increasingly of the same mind too as this drags on. I've seen some Sabres fans say it's ridiculous to saddle yourself to a couple million for 5 years for a player who won't be on the team...and I get that perspective. But at the same time, teams do exactly that all the time with buyouts? Even ignoring the recent Suter and Parise examples...last season Nashville bought out Turris. His buyout has a cap of of $2 million per year until 2028 (8 years total). Martin Jones' buyout lasts for 6 years at between 1.6 to 2.9 million cap hit until 2027. Considering the Sabres are trading Jack freaking Eichel, a guy who was supposed to be their superstar and whose return should matter very much for the future of the team, I'm kinda surprised they won't accept a couple million on the books in order to bring in more suitors + correspondingly increase the return. Because other teams do it pretty frequently with buyouts just to get a crappy player off the club.

Reactions: Fatass

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It matters to buffalo as well though. They have to get back around ~$5 million in salary to remain cap compliant.

Well yes. Hence why Eichel hasn’t been suspended yet. And despite what some HFSabres posters think, he won’t be suspended. Or at least not until you see the Sabres start picking up LTIR guys. The closest thing the Sabres did this off-season to that was acquire Butcher and a pick for nothing (yes I know he’s playing but he was a cap dump for the Devils). That and the hope they can flip him for an additional pick and/or prospect at the TDL.

If that’s the case, why isn’t it done?

I’ve heard they want everything from Lindholm, Hanifin, Mangiapane, Dube, Theodore, Tuch, a bunch of stuff they shouldn’t remotely be concerned with.

1st, Pelletier/Zary, Coronato, cap dump (Zadorov, say) - what else do you need?

How good does Buffalo really think Peyton Krebs is? He was a 17th overall pick.

My guess is those are players they see playing for the Sabres in the future. But my guess is that A: no blue chip guy was on the table to begin with to entice the Sabres to share medicals, and B: the Sabres do not want to trade Eichel to the Rangers, Boston or Montreal.

And if teams are saying “we’ll trade you our top prospect only if you retain XX” then Buffalo rightfully says no. Why should they? The price went from 4-6 pieces where the return was a top prospect and 1sts, to 4 pieces with a top prospect or 1sts being not involved, to now 4 pieces but the Sabres only get the top prospect or 1sts if they eat up to 50%, but they also have to take cap dumps? Why should the Sabres do that? If a team is acquiring Eichel they feel confident he’ll return close to 100%, so no point to giving even more of a discount.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
It’s almost like the Sabres aren’t gonna trade Eichel for an even more reduced price than they originally are.

Not a lot of teams sitting around with 10mil in cap on top of the fact that he's injured, currently in limbo and has a NMC kicking in next year.

If anything, it's almost like the Sabres waited too long and overplayed their hand

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This seems like an end result where he doesn’t end up in Vegas and Vegas says “we tried”, it didn’t work.” Idk if Calgary shakes things up now with the way they’re playing as it probably takes someone off the active roster. Anaheim has and still does make the most sense to me

Columbus is definitely a dark horse. They have enough picks, prospects, young players and cap space that would interest Buffalo. Plus a GM that is a bit of a riverboat gambler.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Not a lot of teams sitting around with 10mil in cap on top of the fact that he's injured, currently in limbo and has a NMC kicking in next year.

If anything, it's almost like the Sabres waited too long and overplayed their hand

Two words: cap dump. Just because teams want an Eichel for $5M to budget into their books until the 2025-26 off-season doesn’t mean the Sabres should play nice. There’s only one season they should care about the acquiring teams books. That’s this season, and this season alone.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well yes. Hence why Eichel hasn’t been suspended yet. And despite what some HFSabres posters think, he won’t be suspended. Or at least not until you see the Sabres start picking up LTIR guys. The closest thing the Sabres did this off-season to that was acquire Butcher and a pick for nothing (yes I know he’s playing but he was a cap dump for the Devils). That and the hope they can flip him for an additional pick and/or prospect at the TDL.

My guess is those are players they see playing for the Sabres in the future. But my guess is that A: no blue chip guy was on the table to begin with to entice the Sabres to share medicals, and B: the Sabres do not want to trade Eichel to the Rangers, Boston or Montreal.

And if teams are saying “we’ll trade you our top prospect only if you retain XX” then Buffalo rightfully says no. Why should they? The price went from 4-6 pieces where the return was a top prospect and 1sts, to 4 pieces with a top prospect or 1sts being not involved, to now 4 pieces but the Sabres only get the top prospect or 1sts if they eat up to 50%, but they also have to take cap dumps? Why should the Sabres do that? If a team is acquiring Eichel they feel confident he’ll return close to 100%, so no point to giving even more of a discount.
O don't think the Sabres will suspend Jack. What would be the grounds? Hopefully the Sabres and Vegas can come to an agreement, and Jack gets his preferred surgery and we see him playing like the great player he next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad