Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
O don't think the Sabres will suspend Jack. What would be the grounds? Hopefully the Sabres and Vegas can come to an agreement, and Jack gets his preferred surgery and we see him playing like the great player he next year.

I think refusing medical treatment would be considered contract violation, and he could therefore be suspended. But doing that means the Sabres go below the contract floor, so it’s why he won’t be suspended.

Obviously this is all generalities, and we don’t know the specifics of it all.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

So Vegas having a hard time with the finances of this trade. Huh, who would have thought?

If I was the third team asked to help address the cap issues I'd be asking for a first or second from both teams - especially if I have to commit to up to $45 million in cap space and lose a salary retention spot for the next four and a half years or so.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If I was the third team asked to help address the cap issues I'd be asking for a first or second from both teams - especially if I have to commit to up to $45 million in cap space and lose a salary retention spot for the next four and a half years or so.

No team retaining salary would be committing to anywhere close to that...?

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I'm increasingly of the same mind too as this drags on. I've seen some Sabres fans say it's ridiculous to saddle yourself to a couple million for 5 years for a player who won't be on the team...and I get that perspective. But at the same time, teams do exactly that all the time with buyouts? Even ignoring the recent Suter and Parise examples...last season Nashville bought out Turris. His buyout has a cap of of $2 million per year until 2028 (8 years total). Martin Jones' buyout lasts for 6 years at between 1.6 to 2.9 million cap hit until 2027. Considering the Sabres are trading Jack freaking Eichel, a guy who was supposed to be their superstar and whose return should matter very much for the future of the team, I'm kinda surprised they won't accept a couple million on the books in order to bring in more suitors + correspondingly increase the return. Because other teams do it pretty frequently with buyouts just to get a crappy player off the club.

Enter Skinner

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The league's going to want this done soon. They undoubtedly believe it'd help change the news cycle from all the deservedly bad press they're getting right now.

Reactions: Fatass

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If Vegas gets Eichel, hopefully their first is protected. Looking more and more likely that they will be bottom dwellers this season with all their injuries.

Ledge And Dairy

This seems like an end result where he doesn’t end up in Vegas and Vegas says “we tried”, it didn’t work.” Idk if Calgary shakes things up now with the way they’re playing as it probably takes someone off the active roster. Anaheim has and still does make the most sense to me
Its not a shake up for Calgary if the cap going out is Monahan and Zadorov, at that point its more of an "all in."

Anaheim really isnt close to competing and adding Eichel isn't going to make them not a lotto pick this year and maybe not even next year. By then you are selling a bunch for just 3 years of him and thats not even a guarantee of being a playoff team, let alone a contender.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If anything that makes it less likely, Vegas needs a quick-fix answer to stay competitive, and right now all their injured players are expected to be back before playoffs

Not if they just decide to punt the season and try to their luck at the lottery instead. Lol

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If anything that makes it less likely, Vegas needs a quick-fix answer to stay competitive, and right now all their injured players are expected to be back before playoffs

That's even less likely. The only thing they can do is keep their heads above water and make improvements for next year, while hoping for playoffs.

Eichel has another 4 years left. The only thing that really changes is the availability of their 2022 1st.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Two words: cap dump. Just because teams want an Eichel for $5M to budget into their books until the 2025-26 off-season doesn’t mean the Sabres should play nice. There’s only one season they should care about the acquiring teams books. That’s this season, and this season alone.

In that case, BUF should definitely keep him and suspend him and hold onto his rights and receive nothing for him nor get the use of his talents on ice.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So you’re arguing that the Sabres should make sure that an acquiring team can have an easier time fitting Eichel in long term?
I don't think they should retain, but if they want to deal Eichel then they are going to have to take salary back, and most likely not just for the remainder of this year.

That's a choice Adams and Pegula will have to make. Sure, they can do the "We aren't taking back any contracts past 21-22."

But then like Danny Noonan said, "Well then you ain't gettin' no coke."

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't think they should retain, but if they want to deal Eichel then they are going to have to take salary back, and most likely not just for the remainder of this year.

That's a choice Adams and Pegula will have to make. Sure, they can do the "We aren't taking back any contracts past 21-22."

Taking back a one year contract is doing the acquiring team a favour already. It helps them fit Eichel in for this season. They should not care one iota if the acquiring team is able to fit him in for the 2022-23 season.

If you were an NHL GM, you wouldn’t care either.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Its not a shake up for Calgary if the cap going out is Monahan and Zadorov, at that point its more of an "all in."

Anaheim really isnt close to competing and adding Eichel isn't going to make them not a lotto pick this year and maybe not even next year. By then you are selling a bunch for just 3 years of him and thats not even a guarantee of being a playoff team, let alone a contender.

he has 5 yrs left (4 fill) on his contract.

buffalo isn’t taking back a player who can’t can’t play RD

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

Again the Sabres have said they’d take salary back in a trade for 1 or 2 years. Perhaps even 3 if the player is usable. But the Sabres aren’t interested in paving an opposition’s road to easy cap space for 4.5 years. Additionally, unlike cap dumps; cap retention is permanent and unmalleable for the entire 5 years regardless of what happens with Eichel.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The longer this goes, the lesser the return is going to be.

There’s no way Vegas, Calgary, or Anaheim didn’t offer the package that eventually gets accepted back in August, when Eichel could’ve had his surgery and been ready in time for Christmas.

Every day that goes by decreases the chance that he’s even able to come back and help for the playoffs.

So if the ask is multiple impact roster players, + blue chip prospects, + 1st round picks, for a player that may not even be able to help you this season, that deal isn’t getting done.
Agreed, just like with the Duchene trade, waiting is always wrong.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Taking back a one year contract is doing the acquiring team a favour already. It helps them fit Eichel in for this season. They should not care one iota if the acquiring team is able to fit him in for the 2022-23 season.

Well, if I were an NHL GM I wouldn't trade prime assets for a player who needs surgery that is so risky that his current team, who doesn't HAVE to give up prime assets for, doesn't even want to keep.

But it's not about "caring" about the other team. It's about caring about getting a deal done that has the return you want, and if my team was a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years and if part of the return included a roster player who is an improvement on someone on my roster, then I wouldn't mind so much about having that guy be part of the package. Especially if the alternative is to have no #1C and no return for my #1C.

Is BUF going to be in some sort of cap hell in 22-23? No. Sure, try to squeeze the other guy if you want. That has risks too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Pretty sure Buffalo will need to take back 4.5 mil roughly to stay above the floor in an Eichel trade. Granted, they could go out and do other things to meet that floor post-Eichel trade but I don't think they will do that when I think everyone involved knows that they will need to accommodate to get this done and get value. Ideally, the cap they take back is cap that they can turn around and get value from. That I think is pretty reasonable and to be expected. If the Sharks dealt Meier, Bordeleau, Merkley, and a 1st, yeah you're taking cap back but it's cap that the Sabres can turn into another 1st. I suspect that the same could be similar give or take some value for any Vegas trade put on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad