Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In that case, BUF should definitely keep him and suspend him and hold onto his rights and receive nothing for him nor get the use of his talents on ice.
Suspend Jack for what though? Other teams' doctors (and Jack's second opinion, which the CBA allows) have all said his choice of surgery is okay. He's not refusing treatment. It's a type of surgery, so this is very complex.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well, if I were an NHL GM I wouldn't trade prime assets for a player who needs surgery that is so risky that his current team, who doesn't HAVE to give up prime assets for, doesn't even want to keep.

But it's not about "caring" about the other team. It's about caring about getting a deal done that has the return you want, and if my team was a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years and if part of the return included a roster player who is an improvement on someone on my roster, then I wouldn't mind so much about having that guy be part of the package. Especially if the alternative is to have no #1C and no return for my #1C.

Is BUF going to be in some sort of cap hell in 22-23? No. Sure, try to squeeze the other guy if you want. That has risks too.

The Sabres aren’t looking for that guy to be on the roster. They’re supposed to be the 13th forward. Or the 7th D. That’s the thing. Even the cap dump they acquired from New Jersey was the team’s 7th D, and is only playing because Jokiharju is injured.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Its not a shake up for Calgary if the cap going out is Monahan and Zadorov, at that point its more of an "all in."

Anaheim really isnt close to competing and adding Eichel isn't going to make them not a lotto pick this year and maybe not even next year. By then you are selling a bunch for just 3 years of him and thats not even a guarantee of being a playoff team, let alone a contender.
I think Anaheim is closer to competing than you prob think the issue is

does whatever the package we send to get eichel, set us back some, and we’re gambling pretty hard on him coming back 100%…. Seems unnecessary risk, unless the price is low enough

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree on McTavish -- I'd take him over Krebs in a heartbeat. Same with Newhook and Eklund obviously. Zary, meh, maybe.
It's hard to say anything definitive about any of them. Krebs looks good, to my eyes.

One thing for sure, you can't beat him on the cycle.

Reactions: Bohologo

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Pretty sure Buffalo will need to take back 4.5 mil roughly to stay above the floor in an Eichel trade. Granted, they could go out and do other things to meet that floor post-Eichel trade but I don't think they will do that when I think everyone involved knows that they will need to accommodate to get this done and get value. Ideally, the cap they take back is cap that they can turn around and get value from. That I think is pretty reasonable and to be expected. If the Sharks dealt Meier, Bordeleau, Merkley, and a 1st, yeah you're taking cap back but it's cap that the Sabres can turn into another 1st. I suspect that the same could be similar give or take some value for any Vegas trade put on the table.

Cap dump this season. The Sabres know they have to have salary to stay above the cap floor. They’re not placing any value on that, unless obviously the “cap dump” becomes more valuable than a pick or blue chip prospect. But those are few and far between, and won’t be traded.

It’s also why Anaheim, Columbus and LA keep appearing in all of these “updates”. They either A: can absorb the full hit with no cap dumps coming back or B: need to send very minimal cap hit back.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Agreed, just like with the Duchene trade, waiting is always wrong.

Matt Duchene didn’t need a surgery that requires 8-12+ recovery and accompanying uncertainty that he’d be the same player.

Any team who acquired him would have had him in the lineup the next night.

Duchene played for his team in the interim while Sakic tried to make a deal.

Duchene also didn’t have a NTC clause due to kick in that would’ve significantly narrowed Sakic’s options.

Dragging this out also didn’t negatively effect Duchene’s quality of life.

The price is goes one direction the more time they take, and it isn’t up.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cap dump this season. The Sabres know they have to have salary to stay above the cap floor. They’re not placing any value on that, unless obviously the “cap dump” becomes more valuable than a pick or blue chip prospect. But those are few and far between, and won’t be traded.

It’s also why Anaheim, Columbus and LA keep appearing in all of these “updates”. They either A: can absorb the full hit with no cap dumps coming back or B: need to send very minimal cap hit back.

But Vegas keeps appearing too and this one at least seemingly got closer to done than anything else before. That doesn't happen unless Buffalo believes Vegas is now offering the best young asset available on their terms. We've seen them adjust terms here and there but I think one of those terms that is flexible is going to be cap dumps. At least to the point where what they get back isn't going to be useless and if it is, it'll be very limited. Like from the Sharks, it would be a Radim Simek with only a couple mil max for a couple more years but is an easy contract to bury or buyout or trade. Not sure about the other teams but all those teams mentioned by you are competing right now for a playoff spot. Granted, it's still very early but that's what makes it difficult to get another team's urgency level up to make them more open to getting a deal like this done. Anaheim was rebuilding but are competitive right now. Columbus is kind of transitioning but competing. LA was being improved upon with the intent to compete. These teams aren't in a hurry to get a deal done considering their place in the standings so while they have the ability to absorb the contract, do they have the ability to absorb that contract and still move forward as they want to without Eichel for a significant time? It's understandable to me why they'd be very hesitant. The Sharks are in a similar position but are probably closer to Vegas in terms of urgency because of the past couple years.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
The price is goes one direction the more time they take, and it isn’t up.

Nope, the value never goes down. Nothing has changed except time and with his contract being as long as it is; his value isn’t effected by time. In 3 years it would be since he’d no longer be much more than a rental, ignoring the obvious injury keeping him from playing.

This idea that Eichel value is continuously dropping is nothing more than a way team who want him are trying to convince the Sabres of it. Maybe if other teams actually put some blue chip prospects, solid players and/or picks on the table without asking us to retain ridiculous amounts of money over 5 years this thing would be over with.

Reactions: Diaspora

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Eichel goes to Calgary I could see Vegas involved to take Monahan for immediate center help.
That would work well. But Calgary is playing really well right now, so would they want to take Sean out of their lineup, and not have Jack for several months?

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Nope, the value never goes down. Nothing has changed except time and with his contract being as long as it is; his value isn’t effected by time. In 3 years it would be since he’d no longer be much more than a rental, ignoring the obvious injury keeping him from playing.

This idea that Eichel value is continuously dropping is nothing more than a way team who want him are trying to convince the Sabres of it. Maybe if other teams actually put some blue chip prospects, solid players and/or picks on the table without asking us to retain ridiculous amounts of money over 5 years this thing would be over with.

Something is worth what someone is willing to give you for it.

Nobody is willing to pay for a guy with a broken neck like he doesn’t have one.

If they were, this would’ve been done by now.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

The Sabres are the ones who need to move Eichel more than ANY team needs him. If a GM cannot get a decent discount then I cannot see a trade happening.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
That would work well. But Calgary is playing really well right now, so would they want to take Sean out of their lineup, and not have Jack for several months?

Monahan is on the 4th line. The top-3 centres are Lindholm, Backlund, and Dube, and it’s the most dynamic the team has looked in three years.

I can handle losing Monahan + futures to make the deal.

I’d pay more futures to avoid losing Dube and Mangiapane. If all they lose off the big club is Monahan, I think they’re still contenders to win the division, even while Eichel recovers.

Reactions: flamesforcup

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Monahan is on the 4th line. The top-3 centres are Lindholm, Backlund, and Dube, and it’s the most dynamic the team has looked in three years.

I can handle losing Monahan + futures to make the deal.

I’d pay more futures to avoid losing Dube and Mangiapane. If all they lose off the big club is Monahan, I think they’re still contenders to win the division, even while Eichel recovers.

Monahan
Zadorov/gudbranson
1st
Zary
Pelletier

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
This whole Eichel trade show nonsense is beginning to become very lame

It's gone on for so long that I half expect one of the characters to have a baby or for them to do a musical episode or something. Maybe a musical press conference? Can Adams carry a tune?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sean is currently centering the 4th line (and 1st PP unit). To add Eichel for a playoff run they can currently afford to loose Monahan

To add they have Brad Richardson who is about as 4C as you can make them.

Don Moloney has been to two back to back Sabres games; which makes me thing the Calgary deal is a bit larger with potentially a forward coming back.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
The Flames take that and run screaming for the hills. I’d even throw in a B prospect like Ryan Francis who’s off to a great start in the Q.

I want to keep Gudbranson, he’s been a pleasant surprise.
I'd do that. let Monahan Rebuild his value then Flip him @ 50% for a 2nd. Zadorov could be traded at the deadline as well for another 2nd/3rd

Sabres could potentially end up with
1st
2nd/2 2nd
3rd
Zary
Pelletier

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad