Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Why are people acting like it’s insane for Vegas to want a top tier first line centre? They’re a good team that has a gaping hole at that position. If the price isn’t too high, it’s a no brainer. They’re in a win-now position so waiting for centres to (possibly) develop isn’t logical.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I believe the deal is around

Vegas—Theodore+ Krebs+ $4M+ salary player with 2+ yrs term + 2 1sts+ prospect
Calgary— Anderssen+ Zary+$4M+salary player with 2+ yrs term + 2 1st+ Prospect

Buffalo sends Eichel + Pysyk/ 50%Miller + Bjork

both Vegas and Calgary have tight space this year and need space next year.
Theodore is worth A LOT more than Andersson

Reactions: McDoused

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
No, I get the point. The team is the most successful expansion franchise the NHL has ever seen, and saying "Cup or bust" every year after a Cinderella run is absurd.

They've been to the conference Finals twice in the last 2 years. How many other teams can say the same?
Cool. I’m sure the fans would be thrilled to get Eichel and have another conference final banner to hang at T-Mobile.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Theodore is a 26 year old top pairing defenseman with an incredibly friendly 4 years at 5.2 million left on his deal...you think Eichel, after all of this, is actually going to return that sort of asset + a top centre prospect + a forward like Tuch/Smith, + two 1sts, + another prospect...?

As an Avalanche fan I absolutely hope you're right. I would love to see Vegas do that. But I gotta say, I think the expectation of that return is out to lunch. And again, I genuinely hope you're right and that if Vegas does get Eichel they do have to gut themselves to that extent -- I'd love to come back and laugh at my post.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Theodore is a 26 year old top pairing defenseman with an incredibly friendly 4 years at 5.2 million left on his deal...you think Eichel, after all of this, is actually going to return that sort of asset + a top centre prospect + a forward like Tuch/Smith, + two 1sts, + another prospect...?

As an Avalanche fan I absolutely hope you're right. I would love to see Vegas do that. But I gotta say, I think the expectation of that return is out to lunch. And again, I genuinely hope you're right and that if Vegas does get Eichel they do have to gut themselves to that extent -- I'd love to come back and laugh at my post.
As a Jets fan, I endorse this message

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Dadonov and Smith will end up with similar production by the end of the season. 20+ goals and 50 points. Dadonov was picked up relatively cheap and has another year. Smith is a UFA in the summer so it makes sense to have him in the conversation, even if he adds more than Dadonov on the ice.

Vegas don't need to be top of the division to be contenders for the cup, they just need to be in the playoffs and have everyone fit.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Maybe the insurance company is already pressuring the Sabres about continuing to pay their share of Jack’s salary?

So no. Lets stay on topic and not throw up a bunch of hypotheticals to avoid answering the question.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

This has to be one of the worst proposals I have ever seen on these boards. You people need to come to terms with the FACT that Eichel may not ever return and even if the surgery is a success he will still be out for a significant part of the season. No one is going to pay that much for a giant "?" of a player who may not even return to his previous form.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If Vegas bungles this it could really bite their future. Not sure they even need Eichel, it's going to gut their cupboard.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Cool. I’m sure the fans would be thrilled to get Eichel and have another conference final banner to hang at T-Mobile.

Like every other team, they'd prefer the Cup.

But you're conveniently ignoring that the Lightning are literally the only team that's been more successful than the Knights the last 2 years.

There are 30 other teams that'd love to be the type of "losers" the Knights have been over that period.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Pipelines can be rebuilt. Vegas is in win now mode and Eichel is more than the shiny new toy. He's an elite player that fills their biggest organizational hole. To flip the conversation back to Anaheim, do you think Anaheim regrets giving all those futures up for Chris Pronger? It surely made it harder to rebuild in the following years.
Anaheim had a good core of young players to work around. They started being playoff threats with their 03 Finals run and outside a small handful of off years they never went into a rebuild until a couple years ago.

When Vegas fizzles out they're likely going to need a hard rebuild. Pacioretty has maybe two or three more good years. Stone maybe four. The Karlsson line is never going to be better than they are now. Tuch doesn't seem like he'll be much more than a 40 maybe 50 point guy. Pietrangelo already looks to be somewhat outside his prime. Martinez has maybe two good years left.

You trade Theodore and Krebs and it won't be long until Eichel is centering a Calgary-esque playoff bubble team with no threat to win a cup. I understand as well as anyone how "win-now" Vegas is. But their aggressive trade and sign strategy will bite them in a hurry and especially if Eichel doesn't recover 100%

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It'll be an ugly mix of players(dadanov, janmark etc) equalling a cap total that matches Eichels... then VGK will also have to add top prospects(Krebs and another) and conditional picks

Essentially it'll be a very attractive prospect/pick package for eichel with a few roster guys for Cap reasons

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Can someone explain why Tuch isn't included in in the expected Vegas package? I sorted through a bunch of the thread, but I didn't see a similar question.

With all Vegas' injuries, shouldn't it be a forgone conclusion that a guy already on LTIR should go back to Buffalo? Also don't they need to send out salary?

Something like Tuch, Krebs, 1st as a base and then add Brossoit and Anderson to the deal to help make the dollars work?

Obviously Eichel couldn't play until the playoffs to make the deal cap compliant. If he does come back they could always make a second deal to clear some cap.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Like every other team, they'd prefer the Cup.

But you're conveniently ignoring that the Lightning are literally the only team that's been more successful than the Knights the last 2 years.

There are 30 other teams that'd love to be the type of "losers" the Knights have been over that period.
There are 30 (now 31) teams who have accomplished the same thing Vegas has in the past 3 years. If you’re happy with good seasons ending with disappointing results then more power to you. Just being a solid contender gets old when the ending becomes predictable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why are people acting like it’s insane for Vegas to want a top tier first line centre? They’re a good team that has a gaping hole at that position. If the price isn’t too high, it’s a no brainer. They’re in a win-now position so waiting for centres to (possibly) develop isn’t logical.

All of that is true but you have to make the money work

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
There are 30 (now 31) teams who have accomplished the same thing Vegas has in the past 3 years. If you’re happy with good seasons ending with disappointing results then more power to you. Just being a solid contender gets old when the ending becomes predictable.
How bitter are you? You keep posting the same thing trying to dismiss Vegas. As a Leaf fan, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Vegas has had more success than the Leafs over the past....well over their entire existence. They may shoot themselves in the foot with this trade, but they're going for it. Good for them and their fans.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It'll be an ugly mix of players(dadanov, janmark etc) equalling a cap total that matches Eichels... then VGK will also have to add top prospects(Krebs and another) and conditional picks

Essentially it'll be a very attractive prospect/pick package for eichel with a few roster guys for Cap reasons

if all it was going to be was cap dumps to match salary a coup,e 1sts and 2nds and a few B prospects then Eichel woukd have been traded at the draft.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
if all it was going to be was cap dumps to match salary a coup,e 1sts and 2nds and a few B prospects then Eichel woukd have been traded at the draft.

Since the draft, his value has dropped significantly. At that point if a team offered that, Sabres would have said NO... but now, it's a different story. Each day that passes, makes it more likely Eichel misses the whole season and makes this whole situation worse, which makes his value continue to drop.

Eichel is supposed to be in his prime right now... he's missing a massive season right in the middle of his prime due to a very serious injury. It's terrifying to bring in a massive contract when it's a complete unknown how he will be afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad