Proposal: Varlamov for Koskinen +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Varly and a 2nd for whomever cap dump is reasonable.

I don't think LL would do it for the reasons @CupHolders mentioned above but the value is there.

I think he DOES get moved in the offseason. We're not in any type of cap trouble but Sorokin's definitely the starter now and money for a backup should be considerably less than 5M.

In the offseason I think he'd get traded for a 3rd in 22 and some lesser prospect. If for some reason there was a bidding war he could return a 20-30 overall pick but that would only happen if there was some Grubbauer type thing that comes up

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Varly and a 2nd for whomever cap dump is reasonable.

I don't think LL would do it for the reasons @CupHolders mentioned above but the value is there.

I think he DOES get moved in the offseason. We're not in any type of cap trouble but Sorokin's definitely the starter now and money for a backup should be considerably less than 5M.

In the offseason I think he'd get traded for a 3rd in 22 and some lesser prospect. If for some reason there was a bidding war he could return a 20-30 overall pick but that would only happen if there was some Grubbauer type thing that comes up
Time to call Sakic and ask for Toews back for Varly. Toews can be Dobsons partner next year while Salo plays with Mayfield on the bottom pair.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Time to call Sakic and ask for Toews back for Varly. Toews can be Dobsons partner next year while Salo plays with Mayfield on the bottom pair.

If only...

Not sure why someone thinks a 2nd for Greene was bad asset management. He's played for us for two years, one playoff and that 2nd would be marinating in the minors for at least another year or two before he might even make the show on a taxi squad.

The first for Palmieri paid dividends in the playoffs last year. Signing him to replace Eberle has turned into an unmitigated disaster so far. No arguments there.

Reactions: The Real JT

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
The Isles had no shot to succeed this year when they started 13 games on the road. This season you take with a grain of salt. I guess Lee and Pageau are worth 3rd's too now?

Varmalov has proven he can lead your team to multiple win rounds in the playoffs and was one win away from beating the Stanley Cup champs. If you want to go cheap for Jake Allen, congrats on the 1st round exit. Price's contract shouldn't be touched with a million foot pole. You want to trust Fluery at 37? Hope you don't get snake eyes. Varmalov is best option and by quite a lot.

I don't reckon I've ever heard an entire season blamed for starting on the road for the first 1/8 of it... weird take to be honest

If that's what you see here then I have a bridge to sell you.

Pretty sure you're using that statement completely wrong as it is completely unapplicable to anything I said

I don’t think the Isles would do this. I also don’t think they view Varlamov as a back-up yet. They value the platooning of both goalies. Sorokin got more work because Varlamov was injured.

It is also why he has a poor win-loss record thus far. But he has been playing back into shape.

Isles will need him as they are now forced to play a condensed schedule due to COVID cancellations.

If the Isles haven’t closed the playoff gap to around 10 points by the deadline… maybe they consider trading him. But even then, I’m doubtful. Just seems that they value the goalie tandem more than other teams.

Yeah that's totally fair. And I think that's a completely valid reason to decline it. No argument here lol

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I don't reckon I've ever heard an entire season blamed for starting on the road for the first 1/8 of it... weird take to be honest

Pretty sure you're using that statement completely wrong as it is completely unapplicable to anything I said

Yeah that's totally fair. And I think that's a completely valid reason to decline it. No argument here lol
I don't think you ever seen a 13 game road trip to start the season. I haven't. Also 1/6 not 1/8.
@car no shot l
@fla no shot l
@CHI w
@cbh ot l
@Ari w
@vegas back to back night win very impressive
@Nash ot pt
@mtl w
@win w
5-2-2 that is really impressive now watch when the burn out kicks in on the road
@min l
@NJ l
@TBL l
@ fla l
come home and slides goes on
cgy l
tor back to back l
nyr l
pit l
sj ot pt
@det ot point
chi ot point

It is captain obvious after game 9 this team burned out from the road trip and didn't recover.

Last edited:

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I don't think you ever seen a 13 game road trip to start the season. I haven't. Also 1/6 not 1/8.

My point is I don't think you can throw an entire season away because a team started the 1st 13 games on the road when there is litterally another 69 games...

If anything, it means they'll have some nice home scheduling advantages for the rest of the season.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
My point is I don't think you can throw an entire season away because a team started the 1st 13 games on the road when there is litterally another 69 games...

If anything, it means they'll have some nice home scheduling advantages for the rest of the season.
resee my edit

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The problem here is that another cap dump would have to go with Koskinen just to make the cap work.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
@car no shot l
@fla no shot l
@CHI w
@cbh ot l
@Ari w
@vegas back to back night win very impressive
@Nash ot pt
@mtl w
@win w
5-2-2 that is really impressive now watch when the burn out kicks in on the road
@min l
@NJ l
@TBL l
@ fla l
come home and slides goes on
cgy l
tor back to back l
nyr l
pit l
sj ot pt
@det ot point
chi ot point

It is captain obvious after game 9 this team burned out from the road trip and didn't recover.
Look at the lineup for the first 4 home games. At one point it was Mayfield and 5/6 of Bridgeports blue line plus 5 AHL forwards for other guys out due to injury/COVID.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This year:

Koskinen is 3.19 GAA and a .900 save % and a career GAA of 3.00 and .906
Varlamov is 2.59 GAA and a .917 save % and a career of 2.63 and .916

And Edmonton thinks that differential is worth a 3rd??? To take Koskinen back?

For cap space we can EASILY trade over the summer? $5 million for one year of Varlamov next year is worth more than a 3rd to a goalie-needed team.

Might be better for Edmonton to wait until the off season . Tippett will be gone , Barrie will probably be traded , Koskinen will be on the 1st jet out of Edmonton and lets hope Kassian and Holland is on that jet as well .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Then don't talk for Edmonton fans either. And maybe spend a few minutes on your grammar.

I am sure you understand what he said and meant . Also do you realize some of the posters on here may be from other countries where english isn't their language .

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Edmonton can exceed the cap by 4,166 million with Klefbom LTIR money . They currently have 900K left of that so it would work .
I didn't realize you had that much left. It just works but it does fit

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Close this thread.

Edmonton is NOT on his list of teams - he has a m-NTC, so what is the point of arguing.
Oilers will have to find their goalie upgrade elsewhere.

LL can get better than a 3rd for Varly before the draft - if he wants to move him.
Koskinen will be out of the NHL next season - he sux

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Varlamov is a backup with significantly worse stats than the starter. This trade does make Isles worse.... which will upgrade your 1st rounder. And, it clears out some cap space to be aggressive with in the offseason.

If you wait to get your next Leddy for this trade you'll be waiting a long while

Besides, this trade wont happen. This isnt a knock on the Isles. Koskinen has a NTC and he will only waive to go to a different playoff team
What do you mean by----- he will only waive to go to a DIFFERENT playoff team.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Edmonton is NOT on his list of teams - he has a m-NTC, so what is the point of arguing.
Oilers will have to find their goalie upgrade elsewhere.

I agree that NYI will only trade Varlamov *if* it's to get him a shot at the cup from the west, and I also agree that will only happen if Varlamov approves it. I'm curious, though, how you know he'd nix Edmonton.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if Islanders make a big comeback for the rest of the season. But still, no team wants to start 13 games on the road.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if Islanders make a big comeback for the rest of the season. But still, no team wants to start 13 games on the road.
It will be really for the top 4 teams in the Atlantic and Metro to not make the playoffs. But if I was going to place my money for any team to overcome the odds its the NYI.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Oilers would do 2nd + Lavoie (basically two 2nds) + Koskinen (temporary cap dump for 30-40 games) for Varlamov.

That's probably a bit more than what Lou would get in the summer, in the summer you might get a 2nd, but I don't think you'd neccessarily get a 2nd + prospect.

The issue with the goalie market is there's not that many buyers actually, Edmonton is one of the few teams that's looking for a goalie that actually wants to compete now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Varlamov can still get a decent pick the offseason. Koskinen has negative value not zero value so the 3rd only offsets that value. Imagine what a contender would pay for that cap space.

Also Lou isn't going to do Holland any favors knowing the Oilers need a goalie.
Koskinen's "negative value" is greatly exaggerated. Last year he was one of the most negative value players in the league as he still had a year left on his deal. But now? No way, he's on the last year of his deal and can be sent to the minors so he doesn't even have to stink up the ice in your building. If it's a trade to balance the cap and get the rest of the deal done, you only get extra if its a longer term deal.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What forward prospects do the Oilers have to offer to offset the trade? preferably someone with scoring ability that’s over 6’1.
The Islanders trading away a sure thing that they’re familiar with just to pickup a UFA goalie, forcing them to sign someone in the off-season isn’t helping at all. They lose Clutterbuck, Parise, Chara, Greene and Hickey this summer. Trading away Varlamov might look good in terms of cap space but it also leaves a gaping hole for a coach who likes to utilize a rotation instead of relying heavily on one guy for starts.
A 33 year old goalie who has 3 wins in 11 starts and is paid 5.5 million for the next 2 years is going to get you a big forward prospect with scoring ability? Aka an extremely valuable piece.
Not to mention Varly's numbers are behind the Islanders who have been lauded as one of the best defensive teams in the league for a couple years now.

Get real.

What team is going to give valuable assets for Varlamov? The Oilers are the only team I could think of that would be interested, all the other playoff teams have a starter and no team will move assets in a trade for a 5.5 million dollar backup (who is also on the books for next year).

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
A 33 year old goalie who has 3 wins in 11 starts and is paid 5.5 million for the next 2 years is going to get you a big forward prospect with scoring ability?
Not to mention Varly's numbers are behind the Islanders who have been lauded as one of the best defensive teams in the league for a couple years now.

Get real.
It’s going to return a heck of a lot of a better package then a borderline AHL goalie and mid round pick. The original offer does nothing for the Islanders at all and doesn’t help them one bit except leaving a gaping hole for the rest of this season (plus give them an extremely shaky backup until this year is over). I’m glad you looked at win-loss vs his GAA and SV%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad