Proposal: Varlamov for Koskinen +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It’s going to return a heck of a lot of a better package then a borderline AHL goalie and mid round pick. The original offer does nothing for the Islanders at all and doesn’t help them one bit except leaving a gaping hole for the rest of this season (plus give them an extremely shaky backup until this year is over). I’m glad you looked at win-loss vs his GAA and SV%.
What team is going to pay for Varlamov?
I want to hear your idea of what a fair price is

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
Might be better for Edmonton to wait until the off season . Tippett will be gone , Barrie will probably be traded , Koskinen will be on the 1st jet out of Edmonton and lets hope Kassian and Holland is on that jet as well .

The worst thing that can happen to McDavid/ Draisaitl is too Tavares them. I hope you guys use pick(s) for a quality goalie, get into the playoffs and go on a run.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What team is going to pay for Varlamov?
I want to hear your idea of what a fair price is
The Islanders needs don’t involve dumping guys for the sake of dumping them. Asking for a 2nd and a prospect is a fair ask for a proven starting goalie who can still stop a puck in games that matter.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The Islanders needs don’t involve dumping guys for the sake of dumping them. Asking for a 2nd and a prospect is a fair ask for a proven starting goalie who can still stop a puck in games that matter.
Yeah a 2nd and a prospect is about what I’d say he’s worth

I just focused on you saying a 6’1”+ forward prospect with scoring ability. Guys like that who have very real NHL potential don’t get moved easily.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah a 2nd and a prospect is about what I’d say he’s worth

I just focused on you saying a 6’1”+ forward prospect with scoring ability. Guys like that who have very real NHL potential don’t get moved easily.
The reason why I said that is so the offers aren’t some 5’8 AHL/ECHL tweener that the team wants to dump.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Three way deal

To Seattle:
Kailer Yamamoto
William Lagesson
NYI 3rd (?)

To Edmonton:
Semyon Varlamov
Carson Soucy

To NYI:
Jarred McCan
Mikko Koskinen or Mike Smith

Would that maybe work if the Islanders want a younger-ish forward?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Three way deal

To Seattle:
Kailer Yamamoto
William Lagesson
NYI 3rd (?)

To Edmonton:
Semyon Varlamov
Carson Soucy

To NYI:
Jarred McCan

Don't think they'd be interested in moving McCann for Yamo and Lags. Seattle loses big time.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Three way deal

To Seattle:
Kailer Yamamoto
William Lagesson
NYI 3rd (?)

To Edmonton:
Semyon Varlamov
Carson Soucy

To NYI:
Jarred McCan

No, it doesn't. Oilers get the two best pieces in this.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Would rather wait for the open market in July, without giving up any assets, and with 4.5M free'd up in cap space with Koskinen's contract expiring. Varly still has another year of 5.5M AAV.
tbh, this season, Varly is basically a russian version of Koskinen. Both 33, similar style and both struggling.
Edmonton would be down an asset and tied up another year of 5.5M cap space, and if Varly doesn't perform...

Goalie UFA's this summer: Flower, J. Campbell, Holtby, Kuemper, Jones, Husso

Isle's already hustled Edmonton too many times (Barzal/Beauvillier for Reinhart, Eberle for Strome). No need to add to that list of favors :thumbu:

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
If I'm the islanders and can get Koski and a third I take the deal and run. That gives you a solid goalie to finish the season and frees up 5.5 mil of cap for next year. It's not like they're going all in this year.

You don't want to be paying a backup/1b goalie 5.5 mil next year and nobody else is going to want him at his full salary. The mention of a 1st rounder in this thread is insane.

If the oilers make the trade it improves their goaltending slightly for the end of this year but handcuffs them next year. Overall not a great trade for them considering their window.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Some strange misinformation going on about Varlamov.

He makes 5mil cap and salary for the next two years. He isn’t a backup and he’s not struggling.

He was injured and missed training camp and start of the season. Which is why he has less starts and depressed stats.

He is now healthy and playing well. It remains to be seen how the Isles will split the goalie starts.

But he is far and away a better and more accomplished goalie than Koskinen. Trying to suggest that they are similar when current and career stats say otherwise… is just false.

EDIT: this post in no way should be taken as advocacy for or against any trade and or value of said trade.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

He makes 5mil cap and salary for the next two years. He isn’t a backup and he’s not struggling.

He was injured and missed training camp and start of the season. Which is why he has less starts and depressed stats.

He is now healthy and playing well. It remains to be seen how the Isles will split the goalie starts.

But he is far and away a better and more accomplished goalie than Koskinen. Trying to suggest that they are similar when current and career stats say otherwise… is just false.

EDIT: this post in no way should be taken as advocacy for or against any trade and or value of said trade.

If the islanders are okay with locking up $9 Million between their two guys I guess whatever advantage with getting Koskinen and his expiring contract is pretty much gone. fair enough.

I did notice that the Islanders have around $10 Million on the IR and LTIR right now. They also have three relatively small contracts and Cal Clutterbuck ($3.5) coming off the books next year. Do Islander fans see any cap crunch coming? At first glance it looks that way.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Would rather wait for the open market in July, without giving up any assets, and with 4.5M free'd up in cap space with Koskinen's contract expiring. Varly still has another year of 5.5M AAV.
tbh, this season, Varly is basically a russian version of Koskinen. Both 33, similar style and both struggling.
Edmonton would be down an asset and tied up another year of 5.5M cap space, and if Varly doesn't perform...

Goalie UFA's this summer: Flower, J. Campbell, Holtby, Kuemper, Jones, Husso

Isle's already hustled Edmonton too many times (Barzal/Beauvillier for Reinhart, Eberle for Strome). No need to add to that list of favors :thumbu:

Look at the list of goalies you've posted, and none of them are any better than Koskinen, except Flower who'll never ign in Edmonton, and Campbell who'll likelly be looking at Markstrom's type of deal...

I mean, EDM are in big doodoo here... No real #1 options floatting around, and fans doN,t want to give assets to get said keeper.

McD and Drai will probably reach UFA status before they go anywhere...

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They also have 8 games to make up with 10 back to backs over the 90/91 days to play the games. Moving “struggling” Varlamov would force them to play Sorokin like they did for most of the road trip because the replacement is no better then playing Schneider/Skarek and essentially burn him out come playoffs (if everything works out and they make it in).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Look at the list of goalies you've posted, and none of them are any better than Koskinen, except Flower who'll never ign in Edmonton, and Campbell who'll likelly be looking at Markstrom's type of deal...

I mean, EDM are in big doodoo here... No real #1 options floatting around, and fans doN,t want to give assets to get said keeper.

McD and Drai will probably reach UFA status before they go anywhere...

Uh, fans not wanting to make a trade means nothing to NHL GMs.

It was reported that Holland is actively looking for a goalie. So we'll see what he is able to come up with.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011

I don't think I have seen any of this "misinformation" you're talking about in this thread.

Quite literally, every Oiler fan has been open saying Varlamov is better than Koskinen by a fair bit. People have noted his stats this season are down, but no one is arguing he wouldn't be the starter on the Oilers.

At this point, I am 100% certain people are reading maybe the first page of the thread, and then replying as if they've read the whole thread.

Deal. Only. Makes. Sense. If. NYI. Want. Cap. Flexibility. - Oilers fans

I think most Oiler fans agree that Varlamov is an upgrade on Koskinen, right? We can agree on that?

100%. I don't reckon Oilers fans are actively looking to aquire a goalie that's "the same/worse" than Koskinen for an extra year and a high pick lol

Reactions: TFHockey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If the 3rd has conditions like below:
Oilers make 2nd round and he plays 50% of playoff games turns into a 2nd (think it would have to be 2023), if Oilers make finals and he plays 50% of games turns into a 1st.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad