Proposal: Varlamov for Koskinen +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
This is a hockey board and I’m entitled to talk about the Oilers, Habs or Islanders if want to whether I’m a fan of that team or not. Also, the day you will be able communicate in 3 different languages (English being my third one) you’ll have a say on my grammar. Until then, you can keep your mouth shut and your entitled opinion to yourself

How about you do us morons a favor and use one of the other two languages . . . maybe we'll find something to agree with you on in those since we Isles fans don't agree on this one in this language, no matter how much you insist we are 'not getting it' . . . we are completely comfortable with believing we WILL DO BETTER than Koskinen and a 3rd at ANY time until the 2023 trade deadline. Would you like me to Google translate that for you in the other two languages? My Hebrew and Spanish are pretty rusty.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
How about you do us morons a favor and use one of the other two languages . . . maybe we'll find something to agree with you on in those since we Isles fans don't agree on this one in this language, no matter how much you insist we are 'not getting it' . . . we are completely comfortable with believing we WILL DO BETTER than Koskinen and a 3rd at ANY time until the 2023 trade deadline. Would you like me to Google translate that for you in the other two languages? My Hebrew and Spanish are pretty rusty.

Personne ne va te tordre un bras pour complété la transaction. C’eat un offre que je pensais qui étais logique pour les deux équipes et si tu penses que c’est pas bon pour ton équipe alors tant mieux pour toi.

In other words, as someone else already told you, if you feel your team is better off with Varlamov as a backup goalie than having that money spent somewhere else then so be it and keep him, no one is trying to shove this trade down your throat. To me it just look like your logic is as rusty as your Hebrew and Spanish

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Massive underpayment by the Oilers. Miko does need to come back since the Isles have no #2 goalie to step in but honestly he’s worth almost nothing.

Change the 3rd to a lottery protected 1st. Lou isn’t moving Varly except for an overpayment.
This 100%.
Kost has less than zero value. Maybe helping your tank is his best attribute. Varmalov was one game from cup finals. Lets say a 1 with top 4-5 protection.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Well, how about goalies who are on teams near dead last in the NHL? Same criteria.
The Isles had no shot to succeed this year when they started 13 games on the road. This season you take with a grain of salt. I guess Lee and Pageau are worth 3rd's too now?

Varmalov has proven he can lead your team to multiple win rounds in the playoffs and was one win away from beating the Stanley Cup champs. If you want to go cheap for Jake Allen, congrats on the 1st round exit. Price's contract shouldn't be touched with a million foot pole. You want to trust Fluery at 37? Hope you don't get snake eyes. Varmalov is best option and by quite a lot.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The Isles had no shot to succeed this year when they started 13 games on the road. This season you take with a grain of salt. I guess Lee and Pageau are worth 3rd's too now?

Varmalov has proven he can lead your team to multiple win rounds in the playoffs and was one win away from beating the Stanley Cup champs. If you want to go cheap for Jake Allen, congrats on the 1st round exit. Price's contract shouldn't be touched with a million foot pole. You want to trust Fluery at 37? Hope you don't get snake eyes. Varmalov is best option and by quite a lot.

Now, tell me what’s a (realistic) market for Varlamov? Look around the league and you will see that there is no much demands for a starting goalie unless you think teams like Arizona or Buffalo will spend first round picks on a guy like Varlamov with 1 year left after this one.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
What’s the price for Price then? 2x first round pick? Because I’d pull that trigger right away
IF Price was
a)100% healthy with no fear of wearing down
b) making under 6m
c) have 1.5-2.5 years left on his contract absolutely he is worth 2 1's

At Price's health, contract length I don't go near that contract with 100,000 foot pole

Reactions: The Real JT

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Now, tell me what’s a (realistic) market for Varlamov? Look around the league and you will see that there is no much demands for a starting goalie unless you think teams like Arizona or Buffalo will spend first round picks on a guy like Varlamov with 1 year left after this one.
You are asking the backwards question.
What shot does Edm have of Mike Smith staying healthy and winning 2 series? less than 2%
What shot does Kost have of winning a series? 0%
What shot does Allen have of winning 2 series knowing he has folded like a cheap suit in the playoffs before? 5%?
Now a healthy Price can absolutely lead Edm to 2 playoffs wins but a contract until 2026? Pass. If Edm really offered RNH for Price Mon should jump on that deal all day.
Varmalov is easily the best option.
Every year EDM misses the playoffs you risk McDavid getting really really angry. Yeah I think overpaying V is far better than po'ing MCD.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Thread Summary:

Oilers fans: Willing to take the extra year on Varlamov for Koski and a 2nd/3rd if NYI are looking to free up cap space in their offseason and reallocate funds from backup goalie position

NYI fans: Varlamov is WAY better than Koski! Why would we help the Oilers out? Have you seen his stats??? And he's our backup!!! He's worth at least a 1st or Broberg

Oilers fans: ...no one is saying Varlamov isn't better than Koskinen. We're just seeing if you want to swap backup goalies for cap flexibility in the offseason to the tune of $5million... and we'll give a 2nd too to make it worth while! No worries if not...

NYI fans: Koskinen is the most overpaid goalie in the league! No way we're taking that anchor of a contract! Varlamov is playing at his career average pace right now! Look at Koskinen! So much worse!!!

Oilers fans: ...you're arguing against no one right now. Offer only made sense if you wanted to shed a year of an expensive backups contract... like we said...

NYI fans: No favours over here!

/thread

If that's what you see here then I have a bridge to sell you.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The premise of the "asset to help elsewhere" in the trade is gaining a 2nd round pick and opening up $5milllion of capspace in the offseason in a flatcap era.

We're swapping backup goalies here. Not starters for the NYI.

Varlamov is being made out to be some shining star this season. He's 2-6 in 10 games played...

But again, if the NYI are not that interested in freeing that cap space this offseason from a backup role AND getting a 2nd, its totally fine and the deal doesn't make sense for them which we've acknowledged countless times...

I don’t think the Isles would do this. I also don’t think they view Varlamov as a back-up yet. They value the platooning of both goalies. Sorokin got more work because Varlamov was injured.

It is also why he has a poor win-loss record thus far. But he has been playing back into shape.

Isles will need him as they are now forced to play a condensed schedule due to COVID cancellations.

If the Isles haven’t closed the playoff gap to around 10 points by the deadline… maybe they consider trading him. But even then, I’m doubtful. Just seems that they value the goalie tandem more than other teams.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What shot does Edm have of Mike Smith staying healthy and winning 2 series? less than 2%
What shot does Allen have of winning 2 series knowing he has folded like a cheap suit in the playoffs before? 5%?
Now a healthy Price can absolutely lead Edm to 2 playoffs wins but a contract until 2026? Pass. If Edm really offered RNH for Price Mon should jump on that deal all day.
Every year EDM misses the playoffs you risk McDavid getting really really angry. Yeah I think overpaying V is far better than po'ing MCD.

This last is the standard argument of posters who make bad trade offers and warn Edmonton fans they'd better take it OR ELSE!

Sorry, but you don't know jack sh*t about McDavid or what it takes to become the world best at something. People like that don't quit. They don't pack up and go home when things don't go their way. They are who they are because they don't accept failure. They make it happen.

Making the assumption that McDavid will quit and pull up stakes says more about you than it does him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Doesn't sound like a win for NYI, who could probably dump that contract in the offseason if needed and get at least a 2nd back.

From who really though? Most contending teams have a goalie and aren't going to give away $5+ million in cap room + give away a 2nd round pick.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

overpaying is probably the worst thing Holland can do at the moment.

I don’t think the Isles would do this. I also don’t think they view Varlamov as a back-up yet. They value the platooning of both goalies. Sorokin got more work because Varlamov was injured.

It is also why he has a poor win-loss record thus far. But he has been playing back into shape.

Isles will need him as they are now forced to play a condensed schedule due to COVID cancellations.

If the Isles haven’t closed the playoff gap to around 10 points by the deadline… maybe they consider trading him. But even then, I’m doubtful. Just seems that they value the goalie tandem more than other teams.

That’s a very well thought response. It does make sense to keep him around for now

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
This last is the standard argument of posters who make bad trade offers and warn Edmonton fans they'd better take it OR ELSE!

Sorry, but you don't know jack sh*t about McDavid or what it takes to become the world best at something. People like that don't quit. They don't pack up and go home when things don't go their way. They are who they are because they don't accept failure. They make it happen.

Making the assumption that McDavid will quit and pull up stakes says more about you than it does him.
Call up Cleveland fans when Lebron left for Miami and see if they agree.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
1) Every gm knows Edm cannot win without adding a legit 1 goalie. Knowing that Lou will ask for the moon. TB paid a 1,3,4 for bleeping Savard. You don't think V is more important to Edm than Savard was to TBL?
2) Holland's history has been to overpay at the deadline. See 2 2's for AA for exhibit A. Other gm's know this.
3) number 1's not in the top 15 are incredibly overvalued on these boards.

You can go cheap pay a 2 for Fluery and roll the dice. It could work. The million dollar question is do you trust Fluery?

Maybe Holland will show a backbone and not overpay. I sure wouldn't count on it.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
1) Every gm knows Edm cannot win without adding a legit 1 goalie. Knowing that Lou will ask for the moon. TB paid a 1,3,4 for bleeping Savard. You don't think V is more important to Edm than Savard was to TBL?
2) Holland's history has been to overpay at the deadline. See 2 2's for AA for exhibit A. Other gm's know this.
3) number 1's not in the top 15 are incredibly overvalued on these boards.

You can go cheap pay a 2 for Fluery and roll the dice. It could work. The million dollar question is do you trust Fluery?

Maybe Holland will show a backbone and not overpay. I sure wouldn't count on it.

Lucky for Edmonton Varlamov isn't the only goaltender available.

Why is it the Oilers struggles make them so desperate and have to give up a kings ransom in every single trade but the Islanders struggles aren't something that affects their part in trades? It is almost like some posters are wildly biased or have an agenda. Weird.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Lucky for Edmonton Varlamov isn't the only goaltender available.

Why is it the Oilers struggles make them so desperate and have to give up a kings ransom in every single trade but the Islanders struggles aren't something that affects their part in trades? It is almost like some posters are wildly biased or have an agenda. Weird.
So what history does Ken Holland have in Edm of not overpaying either in salary or compensation?
Keith trade took on too much salary
AA draft picks way over
Mike Green congrats on throwing away a pick.
Lucic at least is meh. Neal is rotting in STL.

Its almost as it some posters are in denial Ken Holland will outsmart Lou in a trade.

lukeleim

Dec 1, 2009
Calgary
NY Islanders
Mikko Koskinen
Luca Munzenberger
Oilers’ second-round draft pick of 2023

Edmonton Oilers
Semyon Varlamov

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So what history does Ken Holland have in Edm of not overpaying either in salary or compensation?
Keith trade took on too much salary
AA draft picks way over
Mike Green congrats on throwing away a pick.
Lucic at least is meh. Neal is rotting in STL.

Its almost as it some posters are in denial Ken Holland will outsmart Lou in a trade.

Same Lou who paid a 2nd for Andy Greene, 1st for Palmeiri, gave away Toews and kept Leddy instead?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Same Lou who paid a 2nd for Andy Greene, 1st for Palmeiri, gave away Toews and kept Leddy instead?
Same Lou who made those moves that helped his team win 2 rounds that year.
And every gm out there would trade a 1 and 2 if it guaranteed them 2 series wins. You don't think Edmonton fans wouldn't give up a 1 and 2 to come out of the division and face Colorado in the conference finals?

As far as Leddy he was untradeable and had to move Toews for salary cap and future ED. Interesting revising of history.

As least go Marleau signing. if you want to criticize Lou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad