Proposal: Varlamov for Koskinen +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
upload_2022-1-18_11-24-16.png

He was bad at the beginning of the year considering he missed almost all of camp and the beginning of the season coming off injury but he's back to having excellent numbers, Nashville game aside.

Not sure what his worth is as he holds an NTC but it's definitely worth more than a 3rd, especially if Kuemper got a first from a desperate Colorado team (when Grubauer decided to bolt).

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They have one and he should be getting third pairing minutes at best.
Salo has been playing. If Barry does it right, Salo will continue to play once Pulock comes back. I can’t see Broberg coming in and being played above Chara/Greene/Salo/Aho/Hutton even based on how Barry runs the show. Forwards are bare bones at the moment when it comes to Isles prospects.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Massive underpayment by the Oilers. Miko does need to come back since the Isles have no #2 goalie to step in but honestly he’s worth almost nothing.

Change the 3rd to a lottery protected 1st. Lou isn’t moving Varly except for an overpayment.
Wut lol. 1st aint moving for that

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We Isles fans understand that we made the Conference finals the last two years while your team hasn't and one reason for it was the rotation of the goalies. We Isles fans are also very confident we could trade Varlamov at pretty much anytime this year or next and free the cap space that way. Win a playoff series out there before you tell us how clueless WE are.

My team has make the Stanley cup finals last year.. but go on my man

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
View attachment 499417

He was bad at the beginning of the year considering he missed almost all of camp and the beginning of the season coming off injury but he's back to having excellent numbers, Nashville game aside.

Not sure what his worth is as he holds an NTC but it's definitely worth more than a 3rd, especially if Kuemper got a first from a desperate Colorado team (when Grubauer decided to bolt).

I don’t know who questioned Varlamov’s not being able to handle the starting job or not being good this year but it isn’t me. He’s been very good the past couple of weeks hence why I thought he would be a good fit in Edmonton

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Koskinen + Broberg for Varlamov[/QUOTE]

Way, WAY too much for Varlamov.

The Double Think practiced by Oiler fans is mesmerizing.

Koskinen is the worst, most over paid player in the NHL.

Koskinen is worth literally anything. Pay us.

A sight to see.

As I posted in another thread, Koskinen only has 58.5% of his contract left this year. It works out to $2.65 Million or thereabouts. He can play decent back up minutes. The problem with the Oilers is that they play him like a starter.

Your statement above is ridiculous. Dumb.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
As I posted in another thread, Koskinen only has 58.5% of his contract left this year. It works out to $2.65 Million or thereabouts. He can play decent back up minutes. The problem with the Oilers is that they play him like a starter.

Your statement above is ridiculous. Dumb.

Keep polishing the turd.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Varlamov isnt bringing back a lotto protected 1st , lol thats totally insane
Not so long ago it was said that Griffin Reinhart would not bring back a first rounder #16 overall and why not let’s throw in #33 overall while we’re at it.

Desperate times and GMs make overpayments. The Oilers are going nowhere without a quality goalie.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not a fan of either team but this seems logical. NYI save 5.5M next year and get an asset (maybe a 3rd?) to take on Koskinen for the rest of the year.

Oilers get a starting goalie for this year + next at a rather cheap price. Win-win for both teams

thoughts?
That seems like a win for the Oil. Loss for the NYI. Oil need to add quite a bit here. Higher pick and decent prospect.

if they have to eat the bad Koskinen contract and lose a goalie under contract for next year, they’d want at least an 2nd and someone like Savoie.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Koskinen will not wave his no trade for a team where he can't have playing time.

The irony is he the only goalie that win games for edmonton this year but everyone want him out to make room for a 4-6 goalie that played all his game but one against non playoff teams.

Is Koskinen a Vezina goalie? No but the oilers are about a .700 team with him in net while he get all the games against playoff team.

Something rotten and the coaching staff is deep into it.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I get the concept of freeing up cap space and I can, from that aspect, understand the OP. There is value in taking on contracts that go beyond this season - if that team is in a cap crunch.

However, as stated by Isle's fans, they do have about 5 million coming off the cap next year plus another 2.6 in bonuses and overage. They also have kids to replace them. So they will have some cap space. However, I do think there may be some value in losing a 5 million back up that can be replaced by someone making 1.5 -2.5 million and playing about 30 games.

Having said that, I don't see any reason why they would want to do Edmonton any favors. Kosk is a cap dump - so to take him on will likely require payment (2nd or a 3rd - maybe more) (even for 1 year). Then you have to equate the cost of the difference between the two play wise. I don't see a lottery protect 1st as being out the question - or a couple of 2nds.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Keep polishing the turd.
I don't think he is disputing that Koskinen is a Turd of a starter. He is a decent backup when playing less games. If NYI don't want 5 million in cap space for next season they can wait and move him in the Summer, but they will likely get money back in any deal then.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Islander's pass unless there's an overpayment, Koskinen is hot garbage and of no interest even as a backup.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Then don't talk for Edmonton fans either. And maybe spend a few minutes on your grammar.

This is a hockey board and I’m entitled to talk about the Oilers, Habs or Islanders if want to whether I’m a fan of that team or not. Also, the day you will be able communicate in 3 different languages (English being my third one) you’ll have a say on my grammar. Until then, you can keep your mouth shut and your entitled opinion to yourself

Reactions: Adam da bomb

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Why should Koskinen be the Islanders problem. Ship him to AZ or Buffalo for picks then offer up a fair return for Varlamov, not your current goaltending issues.

A 2nd or a 3rd in addition to Koskinen is a pass from the Islanders. A prospect as in a player in the system, not the equivalent draft pick of every future considerations add in with all trades in history. Koskinen does nothing at this moment for the Islanders except force them to play Sorokin for additional games instead of rolling the tandem like they’re used to. He’s beyond a Mitch Korn revival project and belongs in the AHL.

I feel like people are completely overlooking the whole premise of the trade is your trading a backup with an additional year for another lesser backup with one less year AND gaining a 2nd/3rd round pick...

Its been stated multiple times that if the NYI are happy with their cap space going into the offseason, then the deal doesn't make sense for them.

Koskinen + Broberg for Varlamov

A 2-6 goalie playing backup on a good defensive team AND an additional year for a backup goalie on an expiring contract and arguably our best defensive prospect... no thanks

This year:

Koskinen is 3.19 GAA and a .900 save % and a career GAA of 3.00 and .906
Varlamov is 2.59 GAA and a .917 save % and a career of 2.63 and .916

And Edmonton thinks that differential is worth a 3rd??? To take Koskinen back?

For cap space we can EASILY trade over the summer? $5 million for one year of Varlamov next year is worth more than a 3rd to a goalie-needed team.

No one cares about career averages at this point. We aren't inheriting his prior wins or save % so it's a weird point. Not to mention no one is arguing Varlamov or Koskinen are the same, hence the high pick addition to Koski...

If anything, your argument shows that Koskinen is in a slump and is actually much better than his current stats would show. But I don't think that helps your argument...

The Double Think practiced by Oiler fans is mesmerizing.

Koskinen is the worst, most over paid player in the NHL.

Koskinen is worth literally anything. Pay us.

A sight to see.

It wouldn't take more than 10s to name players who are much more overpaid than our expiring $5million dollar goalie...

You make it sound like he's signed for another 5 years at $8million.

He's not even the most overpaid goalie in the NHL lol

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I feel like people are completely overlooking the whole premise of the trade is your trading a backup with an additional year for another lesser backup with one less year AND gaining a 2nd/3rd round pick...

Its been stated multiple times that if the NYI are happy with their cap space going into the offseason, then the deal doesn't make sense for them.

A 2-6 goalie playing backup on a good defensive team AND an additional year for a backup goalie on an expiring contract and arguably our best defensive prospect... no thanks

No one cares about career averages at this point. We aren't inheriting his prior wins or save % so it's a weird point. Not to mention no one is arguing Varlamov or Koskinen are the same, hence the high pick addition to Koski...

If anything, your argument shows that Koskinen is in a slump and is actually much better than his current stats would show. But I don't think that helps your argument...

It wouldn't take more than 10s to name players who are much more overpaid than our expiring $5million dollar goalie...

Some people seem to have a hard time understand this logic and tCan’t say I am surprised though.

Reactions: Ragdoll

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
@OG Eberle it’s one of those offers that is intended to be exaggerated.

NYI doesn’t need to move Varlamov for anything less than an asset to help them somewhere else.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

I am just pointing out the irony of Oilers fan bemoaning their goaltending at the same time that they are shilling their wares to every team.

The irony seems to be lost here.

Just to be clear., in a varlamov/koskinen swap the Oilers would have to:

1. Pay isles to take Koskinen.
2. Pay isles to have Varlamov.

A 3rd simply doesn't satisfy those 2 requirements.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Thread Summary:

Oilers fans: Willing to take the extra year on Varlamov for Koski and a 2nd/3rd if NYI are looking to free up cap space in their offseason and reallocate funds from backup goalie position

NYI fans: Varlamov is WAY better than Koski! Why would we help the Oilers out? Have you seen his stats??? And he's our backup!!! He's worth at least a 1st or Broberg

Oilers fans: ...no one is saying Varlamov isn't better than Koskinen. We're just seeing if you want to swap backup goalies for cap flexibility in the offseason to the tune of $5million... and we'll give a 2nd too to make it worth while! No worries if not...

NYI fans: Koskinen is the most overpaid goalie in the league! No way we're taking that anchor of a contract! Varlamov is playing at his career average pace right now! Look at Koskinen! So much worse!!!

Oilers fans: ...you're arguing against no one right now. Offer only made sense if you wanted to shed a year of an expensive backups contract... like we said...

NYI fans: No favours over here!

/thread

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
@OG Eberle it’s one of those offers that is intended to be exaggerated.

NYI doesn’t need to move Varlamov for anything less than an asset to help them somewhere else.

The premise of the "asset to help elsewhere" in the trade is gaining a 2nd round pick and opening up $5milllion of capspace in the offseason in a flatcap era.

We're swapping backup goalies here. Not starters for the NYI.

Varlamov is being made out to be some shining star this season. He's 2-6 in 10 games played...

But again, if the NYI are not that interested in freeing that cap space this offseason from a backup role AND getting a 2nd, its totally fine and the deal doesn't make sense for them which we've acknowledged countless times...

Reactions: Baksfamous112

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
Not so long ago it was said that Griffin Reinhart would not bring back a first rounder #16 overall and why not let’s throw in #33 overall while we’re at it.

Desperate times and GMs make overpayments. The Oilers are going nowhere without a quality goalie.

If you cant tell the difference between and goalie and skater than i cant help you

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Thread Summary:

Oilers fans: Willing to take the extra year on Varlamov for Koski and a 2nd/3rd if NYI are looking to free up cap space in their offseason and reallocate funds from backup goalie position

NYI fans: Varlamov is WAY better than Koski! Why would we help the Oilers out? Have you seen his stats??? And he's our backup!!! He's worth at least a 1st or Broberg

Oilers fans: ...no one is saying Varlamov isn't better than Koskinen. We're just seeing if you want to swap backup goalies for cap flexibility in the offseason to the tune of $5million... and we'll give a 2nd too to make it worth while! No worries if not...

NYI fans: Koskinen is the most overpaid goalie in the league! No way we're taking that anchor of a contract! Varlamov is playing at his career average pace right now! Look at Koskinen! So much worse!!!

Oilers fans: ...you're arguing against no one right now. Offer only made sense if you wanted to shed a year of an expensive backups contract... like we said...

NYI fans: No favours over here!

/thread

That sums up this thread rather nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad