Proposal: Varlamov for Koskinen +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Varlamov can still get a decent pick the offseason. Koskinen has negative value not zero value so the 3rd only offsets that value. Imagine what a contender would pay for that cap space.

Also Lou isn't going to do Holland any favors knowing the Oilers need a goalie.

Just like Fleury was getting a first ++ during the offseason? I think Holland is making as big a favor to Lou by taking on the cap hit for next year.

Koskinen is a necessary evil because Oilers can’t fit Varlamov cap this year without sending money the other way and NYI need a backup anyway. It’s just common sense at this point.

Reactions: elitepete

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Just like Fleury was getting a first ++ during the offseason? I think Holland is making as big a favor to Lou by taking on the cap hit for next year.

Koskinen is a necessary evil because Oilers can’t fit Varlamov cap this year without sending money the other way and NYI need a backup anyway. It’s just common sense at this point.

Yes I know Koskinen needs to be in the deal for make it work but he is also a negative asset. Varlamov doesn't need to be moved unless the islanders are doing a full tear down which they haven't indicated they are. Why would they?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yes I know Koskinen needs to be in the deal for make it work but he is also a negative asset. Varlamov doesn't need to be moved unless the islanders are doing a full tear down which they haven't indicated they are. Why would they?

Why would they need to do a full tear down? Sorokin is their #1 guy. He can and will hold the #1 position in net for a long time so why would you keep a 5m backup goalie when you can free up that money and spend it somewhere else instead? Wouldn’t a ~5m forward be a better investment than Varlamov as your backup next year?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This is why this trade isn’t happening. Varlamov had a slow start but his numbers are quite similar to 19-20 which was hist first year with the Islanders. Koskinen has both declined in SV% and his GAA is 3+ in the past 2 years. In order to make this work, the Oilers would have to add and it wouldn’t even be worth it in the end for them since the Islanders needs are also what Edmonton isn’t willing to give up (quality forward prospects, middle pairing LHD or a quality scoring winger). Varlamov would wind up being the starter right away if the trade happens causing Smith to ride the bench. The Islanders would then wind up taking 1 step forward (in cap space), to take 3 steps back. Keep your dumpster fire and let him be a UFA in July. Photos of most recent years stats of both goalies for reference below:

894A29C5-9DEF-4A65-A80E-246C0E140C45.jpeg

Vs
E89FE9D2-D800-477F-B5C6-AB565DC116D5.jpeg

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Why would they need to do a full tear down? Sorokin is their #1 guy. He can and will hold the #1 position in net for a long time so why would you keep a 5m backup goalie when you can free up that money and spend it somewhere else instead? Wouldn’t a ~5m forward be a better investment than Varlamov as your backup next year?

Varlamov is more than capable of playing 0.920 hockey for 40-50 games a year this year and next. This isn't your typical backup goalie like a georgiev or allen that would fail as starters. They can get a 3rd round pick any time they want, but they would have to be super desperate in that trade which I don't think they are. I agree 5M could be used elsewhere and they have the option of exploring that in the off-season depending on the free agent class.

I don't really see any reason for them to make this trade right now unless its more enticing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The extra year left on Varly’s contract is an asset not an anchor. He’s signed for a reasonable and arguably attractive AAV for his talent level.

If Varly were to be traded the Isles would need a solid 1B goalie in return. But who and for how much? Considering the cost of a replacement, why do this deal at all?

I don’t think Lou will trade him but if he does, it’s certainly for more than a second rounder.
What do the Islanders need a 1B for? Why not hand the net to Sorokin as the permanent starter and get a cheaper backup to play 20-25 games?

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
What do the Islanders need a 1B for? Why not hand the net to Sorokin as the permanent starter and get a cheaper backup to play 20-25 games?

I think this will happen in the offseason. Isles are playing much better as of late. Lou tried to acquire Varly even before signing Lehner. I could see the isles moving him in the offseason to free up space but not now. Sign a capable back up. Maybe reunite Holtby with Trotz and Korn for 25-30 games a season

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This is why this trade isn’t happening. Varlamov had a slow start but his numbers are quite similar to 19-20 which was hist first year with the Islanders. Koskinen has both declined in SV% and his GAA is 3+ in the past 2 years. In order to make this work, the Oilers would have to add and it wouldn’t even be worth it in the end for them since the Islanders needs are also what Edmonton isn’t willing to give up (quality forward prospects, middle pairing LHD or a quality scoring winger). Varlamov would wind up being the starter right away if the trade happens causing Smith to ride the bench. The Islanders would then wind up taking 1 step forward (in cap space), to take 3 steps back. Keep your dumpster fire and let him be a UFA in July. Photos of most recent years stats of both goalies for reference below:

View attachment 499335
Vs
View attachment 499337

The fact that you somehow compare Varlamov to Koskinen make me wonder if you even understand the end goal to this trade for both sides.

Varlamov is more than capable of playing 0.920 hockey for 40-50 games a year this year and next. This isn't your typical backup goalie like a georgiev or allen that would fail as starters. They can get a 3rd round pick any time they want, but they would have to be super desperate in that trade which I don't think they are. I agree 5M could be used elsewhere and they have the option of exploring that in the off-season depending on the free agent class.

I don't really see any reason for them to make this trade right now unless its more enticing.

and you might have to eat some of his salary or even have to give him away this summer. You never know how goalie market turns out. Aside from Edmonton, which team is or will be looking for a #1 goalie next year? Not many.

Take the pick & get some certainty with your cap situation now. Sorokin can handle the #1 job right now.

and allocate that 5m somewhere they really need. I don’t understand how some NYI fans can’t seem to grasp that

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The fact that you somehow compare Varlamov to Koskinen make me wonder if you even understand the end goal to this trade for both sides.
No, what you’re failing to grasp is that this trade doesn’t help the Islanders one bit except for you convincing yourself that the Islanders cap issues are currently on Varlamov. Take a look at their current cap situation. Almost all of the expiring contracts are guys that will not return, not long term issues.
As for the goalies themselves. Koskinen can’t stop a puck and the fact that he’s a UFA come July is Edmontons problem and no one else. Lou wouldn’t take him on (with Varlamov under contract for another year) unless the 3rd round pick was better, there was a useful prospect attached or the return is of the Islanders needs at the given moment (top 4 LHD or proven 30+ goal scorer). The latter part won’t happen with Koskinen involved however. This trade is going one step forward to go 3 steps backwards for the Islanders.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
A decent prospect and a pick is a fair ask however, not Koskinen and future considerations.

I offered a 2nd/3rd with Koskinen's expiring deal.

You said a prospect and pick would be fair, but then finished the sentence saying "Koskinen and future considerations" isn't a fair ask.

Either you think every pick outside of a the 1st is useless, or we have very different definitions of what "future considerations" mean...

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
No, what you’re failing to grasp is that this trade doesn’t help the Islanders one bit except for you convincing yourself that the Islanders cap issues are currently on Varlamov. Take a look at their current cap situation. Almost all of the expiring contracts are guys that will not return, not long term issues.
As for the goalies themselves. Koskinen can’t stop a puck and the fact that he’s a UFA come July is Edmontons problem and no one else. Lou wouldn’t take him on (with Varlamov under contract for another year) unless the 3rd round pick was better, there was a useful prospect attached or the return is of the Islanders needs at the given moment (top 4 LHD or proven 30+ goal scorer). The latter part won’t happen with Koskinen involved however. This trade is going one step forward to go 3 steps backwards for the Islanders.

I'm so confused. If Koskinen is bad at goalie, why is his impending UFA status in a few months a problem?

Okposofan21

Jan 5, 2009
New York, New York
I want to keep Varlamov going into next year. Granted, Sorokin looks like he is ready to play the better share of games. Varlamov is a good option if Sorokin faulters or goes down with an injury. This year is a wash but moving forward, I would like to keep the Sorokin/Varlamov tandom - as expensive as that may be. The organization seems to be high on Jakub Skarek who is in Bridgeport right now but he could be a year or two away.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

and you might have to eat some of his salary or even have to give him away this summer. You never know how goalie market turns out. Aside from Edmonton, which team is or will be looking for a #1 goalie next year? Not many.

Take the pick & get some certainty with your cap situation now. Sorokin can handle the #1 job right now.

and allocate that 5m somewhere they really need. I don’t understand how some NYI fans can’t seem to grasp that
I think the point is that Edmonton is desperate, every knows they're desperate, and they're going to be pushed over a barrell to alleviate that desperation.

If the roles were reversed we'd be saying the same things. They don't HAVE to move Varlamov, it's more of a luxury. Why do it for less than an overpay?

We (Oil fans) want teams to trade us a decent goalie to salvage the season while not really incentivizing them to do it. At least that's how it looks to me on most of these threads.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'm so confused. If Koskinen is bad at goalie, why is his impending UFA status in a few months a problem?
Why should Koskinen be the Islanders problem. Ship him to AZ or Buffalo for picks then offer up a fair return for Varlamov, not your current goaltending issues.

I offered a 2nd/3rd with Koskinen's expiring deal.

You said a prospect and pick would be fair, but then finished the sentence saying "Koskinen and future considerations" isn't a fair ask.

Either you think every pick outside of a the 1st is useless, or we have very different definitions of what "future considerations" mean...

A 2nd or a 3rd in addition to Koskinen is a pass from the Islanders. A prospect as in a player in the system, not the equivalent draft pick of every future considerations add in with all trades in history. Koskinen does nothing at this moment for the Islanders except force them to play Sorokin for additional games instead of rolling the tandem like they’re used to. He’s beyond a Mitch Korn revival project and belongs in the AHL.

Reactions: Wanderson

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

The goalie market is either super dead or super desperate. A counter question is how many teams have a good goalie that they can trade away while still having someone like sorokin? Not many.

Keumpher just got traded for a first in the offseason and he's definitely not as good as Varlamov. Fleury is a bad example since no way Vegas was trading him to Colorado. Just wanted to dump him off to a non threat.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't think it's a bad premise if the NYI are looking to shed longer term salary for more offseason flexibility this year and gain a pick.

If NYI aren't looking for more flexibility and space this offseason, then this deal makes zero sense.

Would assume it would cost Koski + 2nd/3rd for Varlamov.

This year:

Koskinen is 3.19 GAA and a .900 save % and a career GAA of 3.00 and .906
Varlamov is 2.59 GAA and a .917 save % and a career of 2.63 and .916

And Edmonton thinks that differential is worth a 3rd??? To take Koskinen back?

For cap space we can EASILY trade over the summer? $5 million for one year of Varlamov next year is worth more than a 3rd to a goalie-needed team.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Varlamov is a backup with significantly worse stats than the starter. This trade does make Isles worse.... which will upgrade your 1st rounder. And, it clears out some cap space to be aggressive with in the offseason.

If you wait to get your next Leddy for this trade you'll be waiting a long while

Besides, this trade wont happen. This isnt a knock on the Isles. Koskinen has a NTC and he will only waive to go to a different playoff team

Did you even LOOK at the stats? 2.59 GAA and a .917 save % isn't chopped liver.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't see how Varlamov has that value. Cap space is at a premium right now more than it has ever been in the NHL. Varlamov is a 33 year old 1b goalie that hasn't been playing that well this year and is making 5m. Who will give up a 2nd for that? The only way you'd get a 2nd in the offseason is if you are taking at least 3-4m in salary back.

Islanders would be smart to trade him for a 3rd round pick and a cap dump that expires at the end of the year. A desperate team like Edmonton that needs a goalie and is trying to make the playoffs may be willing to do that. Koskinen should be an adequate back up to Sorokin for half a season, especially under a much better defensive team where he isn't relied on to be the starter.

Another one who thinks a 259GAA and a .917 save % is 'not playing well'!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

We Isles fans understand that we made the Conference finals the last two years while your team hasn't and one reason for it was the rotation of the goalies. We Isles fans are also very confident we could trade Varlamov at pretty much anytime this year or next and free the cap space that way. Win a playoff series out there before you tell us how clueless WE are.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The Double Think practiced by Oiler fans is mesmerizing.

Koskinen is the worst, most over paid player in the NHL.

Koskinen is worth literally anything. Pay us.

A sight to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad