Proposal: VAN - MIN (Fiala+for Miller)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Feel free to show us where a Wild fan "offered our worst assets to try and get Vancouver's best asset" in this thread.
Maybe the way you are extremly offended by OPs proposal. I'm not saying its a good proposal, but lets look into it for a sec:
Lets say Rask and Pearson cancel eachother out, because they are basically the same value. So that leaves JT Miller for a late 1st (20+), Addison, and Fiala. Thats about the going rate for a player like Miller, who WOULD be your first line center. Now unless you think Addison is the next Makar (probably more like a Dumba lite) and Fiala is Huberdeau, I don't see why you would be so offended by that offer. What would you offer for Miller if that is too much? A 4th round pick and some coupons? If you get so offended by these offers I would stay off the trades boards and maybe even the whole internet because there is a lot worse you could see lol.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Maybe the way you are extremly offended by OPs proposal. I'm not saying its a good proposal, but lets look into it for a sec:
Lets say Rask and Pearson cancel eachother out, because they are basically the same value. So that leaves JT Miller for a late 1st (20+), Addison, and Fiala. Thats about the going rate for a player like Miller, who WOULD be your first line center. Now unless you think Addison is the next Makar (probably more like a Dumba lite) and Fiala is Huberdeau, I don't see why you would be so offended by that offer. What would you offer for Miller if that is too much? A 4th round pick and some coupons? If you get so offended by these offers I would stay off the trades boards and maybe even the whole internet because there is a lot worse you could see lol.

Lmao.

100%.

If that is not a close offer than Minny fans are way off in their valuations.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
That's so beyond stupid.

Why do rebuilding teams trade good players than?
he was directly responding to your logic and statement that JT is a player any team would build around. in the posts around this statement you described VAN as sucking. I'd think that means you want to reBUILD. what kind of player do you build around? Hmm? You said JT Miller. So why are you trading him. You should be building around him.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
he was directly responding to your logic and statement that JT is a player any team would build around. in the posts around this statement you described VAN as sucking. I'd think that means you want to reBUILD. what kind of player do you build around? Hmm? You said JT Miller. So why are you trading him. You should be building around him.

I literally just explained it 50 times.

Canucks suck and have no use for JT Miller's prime years. We won't be good for another 3-4 years and by then, he likely won't be the same player he is right now.

It's not rocket science.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022

Well for one Rask and Pearson don't cancel each other out. Rask is a free agent compared to tanner. For some reason, it's not civil anymore to not say no as far trades proposal from Canucks fans when it's become reported our gm is no longer involved, interested in JT Miller

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Well for one Rask and Pearson don't cancel each other out. Rask is a free agent compared to tanner. For some reason, it's not civil anymore to not say no as far trades proposal from Canucks fans when it's become reported our gm is no longer involved, interested in JT Miller
If you were simply saying "no" then I would agree with you, but most Wild fans ITT are acting disgusted like they were just offered trash for their diamonds. That is simply not the case.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Well, that's your first mistake.

There is absolutely zero offense about the proposal. We've just been trying to explain why, situationally, it maybe isn't a slam dunk decision to do it from our end.

Expending assets, and then having to maneuver the cap, and then having to sign a 30 year old Miller to a long-term deal in order to justify doing the first two things, is not something that we should feel grateful to do.

Reactions: Joseph Nathan

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Yeah, so how is this a pressing issue? Or any issue?

JT Miller would arguably be your second best player. You find ways to keep his contract.

Our gm, coaching staff has been going younger since taking over. They have been keeping prospects and picks and keeping rosters/ relationships in terms of Chemistry. Not trading for rentals, players with 1year left in their contract

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I literally just explained it 50 times.

Canucks suck and have no use for JT Miller's prime years. We won't be good for another 3-4 years and by then, he likely won't be the same player he is right now.

It's not rocket science.

so building around him didn't work out for you. but it would for us? It's been explained in great detail and a lot of patience why this doesn't work for the Wild no matter how you value JT Miller. we'd rather have few good middle six players than one star player if we're trying to float a competitive team through the hard times. Guerin evidently doesn't see this as an all-in year and clearly the next three won't be either. we're saving as much in the way of assets until then and using what we have to get rid of to maintain quality players on our depth lines.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Well, that's your first mistake.

There is absolutely zero offense about the proposal. We've just been trying to explain why, situationally, it maybe isn't a slam dunk decision to do it from our end.

Expending assets, and then having to maneuver the cap, and then having to sign a 30 year old Miller to a long-term deal in order to justify doing the first two things, is not something that we should feel grateful to do.
I phrased that wrong, by "you" I meant to say general Wild fans. You yourself might not exactly be offended and I get why you don't wanna make the trade but others who are acting like this is offering trash and is disrespectful to them are just kind of out to lunch.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I phrased that wrong, by "you" I meant to say general Wild fans. You yourself might not exactly be offended and I get why you don't wanna make the trade but others who are acting like this is offering trash and is disrespectful to them are just kind of out to lunch.

I'd be interested to see a post to that effect, because I haven't seen one yet.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This is what I said: A Wild "fan" said that Fiala for Miller might be a lateral move - wrong, JT is a far superior player than Fiala.

Based off of this post:
View attachment 507848

How am I misrepresenting anything? You clearly articulate that you think there is a risk of a lateral move from Fiala to Miller, despite Miller being a far superior player.
Because it's not about a strict comparison between the players. I'd have Miller as the better player too, but Fiala's also been scorching hot since finally getting a linemate. If Fiala's good for 20G and 40P from here to the end of the year, how much more do we need to squeeze out of Miller to justify this trade? What if his actual production ends up being closer to what we were already getting out of Fiala? What if Miller dries up in the playoffs? Put the chances of that happening at whatever you want, but it's a risk.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Minny hasn't had a consistent first line center since Mikko Koivu. JT Miller can easily side in the 1C spot and be their first line center. Van needs a soft rebuild and Fiala fits the picture. Trade would come with an extension for Fiala (7 years 6M per?)

Other pieces added... Rask has some untapped potential and needs a change of scenery. Getting Pearson or Dickinson could be an upgrade on Rask.

To Minny:
JT Miller
Tanner Pearson/Jason Dickinson or Tyler Motte (for cap purposes)

To Van:
1st round pick protected
Kevin Fiala
Viktor Rask
Calen Addison

Absolutely awful for the Wild

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
If you were simply saying "no" then I would agree with you, but most Wild fans ITT are acting disgusted like they were just offered trash for their diamonds. That is simply not the case.

The ignorance of the Wilds cap situation is either shtick or ‘blow to the head’ cognitivly not understood. In a vacuum, Miller is a great player but is he “worth” the cost in assests just to have to lose him heading into the worst of the dead cap. Maybe Addison on a cheap contract is a replacement for the defenseman they have to move to keep Fiala?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Do you speak for all of them? Seems like quite a few are upset at this offer.

He wasn't speaking opinion, he was stating fact. you don't need to speak facts "for" anyone.
i think i can speak for all of us when i say the atomic mass of Cobalt is 58.933195 u

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Do you speak for all of them? Seems like quite a few are upset at this offer.

Most have acknowledge that JT would be a nice add but not at that price and rightfully so. I don’t see any disrespect except for the OP who refuses to understand why the Wild aren’t in a spot to do a trade like this.

Once his deal is up the Wild most likely won’t be able to resign him. That’s where my issue with this deal is.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
The ignorance of the Wilds cap situation is either shtick or ‘blow to the head’ cognitivly not understood. In a vacuum, Miller is a great player but is he “worth” the cost in assests just to have to lose him heading into the worst of the dead cap. Maybe Addison on a cheap contract is a replacement for the defenseman they have to move to keep Fiala?
Listen I get it if he doesn't work for your team, but the cap excuse is pretty much the same excuse for about 90% of the league. If cap was really a huge issue, trades would rarely be made.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

I've actually modified the proposal to Tyler Motte instead of Pearson.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Listen I get it if he doesn't work for your team, but the cap excuse is pretty much the same excuse for about 90% of the league. If cap was really a huge issue, trades would rarely be made.

Do 90% of the teams have 14 million in dead cap space for the next 4 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad