Proposal: VAN - MIN (Fiala+for Miller)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You won't be able to afford Miller? You guys have 23M in cap space in 2023/2024? Am I missing something?

It's hard to take you seriously when you say there's a risk that Fiala for Miller is a lateral move in the present.

Let me know when Fiala is a point per game player, leads the team in scoring, plays 21 minutes a night, plays on PP and PK, has the ability to play all 3 forward positions, and has a 53% faceoff percentage.

JT Miller is ahead of the next highest scorer on the Canucks by 14 points. He would INSTANTLY be your second best forward by a country mile.

How many first line centers have been available in the last two and a half years to be traded? How many of them are in their prime and on an amazing contract? And please for the love of god, don't say Jack Eichel... please don't use a once in a generation situation as some sort of baseline.
I said it has a risk of being a lateral move, and I mean in terms of the overall line-up. We've got Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Fiala and now Boldy all playing at point-per-game paces, along with a checking line that isn't going to be broken up. If you put Miller between Zuccarello and Kaprizov you probably don't upgrade that line enough to compensate for the drop-off on Boldy's line. If you put him with Boldy, how much more production do you need out of Miller to justify paying this price? If he just puts up a point-per-game did you really improve anything?

The buyout cap-hits beyond this season plus the upcoming extensions to guys like Boldy preclude signing Miller beyond his current deal.

Reactions: rynryn

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
How often are first line centers available? How often are they in their prime and on an amazing contract?

Minnesota already has an abundance of wingers and don't want to give Fiala a hefty extension. Why not parlay him into a first line center, something the Wild haven't had in a decade?
Because you're also asking for the equivalent of two 1st round picks on top of it. Miller isn't that much better than Fiala

Reactions: Joseph Nathan

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
you did see all the names we have to resign that make that 23m available right? Fiala, Dumba, Kahkonen, Boldy, dewar. gaudreau, talbot and kulikov if we want them back.

Fiala comes back in this deal so he's not even on the list...

You realize JT Miller would probably be your second best player on the team behind Kaprizov right? If you are priotizing guys like Gaudreau and Kahkonen over him then ohh boy.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

You realize JT Miller would probably be your second best player on the team behind Kaprizov right? If you are priotizing guys like Gaudreau and Kahkonen over him then ohh boy.
I wasnt worried so much about the deal in place as that is an easy no, just that the 23 million in cap space is not real with so many unsigned players. the current cap hit is 57 million for the roster that season. says plenty about what we need to resign. yes we could make him work and i am for going after him, but this is a clear overpayment.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canucks fans are overvaluing JT's worth. Our beat writer just wrote yesterday, wild aren't currently interested. Minnesota also isn't taking on cap dumps of Tanner Pearson or Dickison.

JT Miller is the 16th highest scoring forward in the NHL since he joined the Canucks. He is a legitimate "elite" level forward. I don't see Canucks fans overvaluing JT. He is very, very good.

Whether Minnesota or other teams are interested, and what prices they'd be willing to pay, those are different questions. But I don't really think Canucks' fans are overstating Miller's on-ice play at all.

Filip Karlsson

Oct 6, 2020
Nobody knows what’s going to happen in 2 years. You guys can easily move contracts around not named Kaprizov to fit Miller - it’s not really an issue.

It's possible yes, but think of it this way

option a)
Your proposal goes through. Wild lose a 1st & an NHL ready young RHD, while upgrading Fiala to Miller.
They contend for 2y. After that they have to have many young cheap guys pushing for spots if resigning Miller is gonna make sense. Therefore they would have been smart to keep Addison + the 1st.

option b)
They keep Fiala and likely trade him at the draft (for ~pick 8-12?) and replace him with a middle 6 FA making less than Miller (and isn't as good) but they keep Addison, their 1st and even get another 1st. + with Addison you might not need Dumba ($6m) so perhaps you can keep Fiala?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I wouldn’t mind adding Miller but this isn’t even close value wise. Are you using Rask as a cap dump to prop up value? Because he expires this year and the Wild have more than enough room to take on Miller straight up, 11+MM in accrued space, it’s re-signing him that would likely be impossible in two years.

This would be a shakeup trade, but the Canucks are the ones needing a change, not the Wild, so the cost premium falls on Vancouver to pay, not the other way around.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022

Us Minnesota fans are trying to be nice to you, but we aren't going to ruin our future, or pay whatever you think jt is worth. We will keep fiala this year whose been a rockstar with boldy and deal with his situation in the summer. The whole point of wild being interested before was to play with boldy and fiala, but we aren't interested any longer

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Us Minnesota fans are trying to be nice to you, but we aren't going to ruin our future, or pay whatever you think jt is worth. We will keep fiala this year whose been a rockstar with boldy and deal with his situation in the summer. The whole point of wild being interested before was to play with boldy and fiala, but we aren't interested any longer

this is just the trend nowadays. fans of a team that have a very good player (that's most likely not in that team's future plans), will push proposals on other fanbases where they ask for whatever they want.

People forget that the pressure is on the team that's trying to cash out on their departing player far more than the rest of the field that may or may not be buyers.

If there's no trade, there's no trade. Is this such a big deal?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I wouldn’t mind adding Miller but this isn’t even close value wise. Are you using Rask as a cap dump to prop up value? Because he expires this year and the Wild have more than enough room to take on Miller straight up, 11+MM in accrued space, it’s re-signing him that would likely be impossible in two years.

This would be a shakeup trade, but the Canucks are the ones needing a change, not the Wild, so the cost premium falls on Vancouver to pay, not the other way around.

uhh no lol

I don’t think you understand what cost premium means.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Kinda hard to take you serious when you have no clue what the Wilds cap situation is.
Miller would be arguably your second best player on the team. You build your cap sheet around players like him.

If you don’t understand this concept then there’s nothing to expand on.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
uhh no lol

I don’t think you understand what cost premium means.
If this happens in the off season and the tag alongs get left off it could maybe be a base, but at the current point in time, the Wild have zero motivation to do this and as such would not be paying close to this kind of value. If the Wild fail a run and Fiala’s contract demands are too high, then it could make sense for Guerin to extend the contention window one more year with Miller in Fiala’s spot. Addison becomes slightly expendable if Dumba shows willingness to take a team friendly extension, but these aren’t things we know now.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Miller would be arguably your second best player on the team. You build your cap sheet around players like him.

If you don’t understand this concept then there’s nothing to expand on.

No we build around kaprizov, and boldy, not a player 1 year away from free agency and about to be 30 years old seeking big payday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad