Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Seems like a fair bit to pay in both cash and years for a career under .500 goalie who has appeared in only 83 games and is already 26.

Son of Frostback

Nov 20, 2014
I hate Jim Benning and think he sucks but some of the reactions to this signing are imbecilic. Should we re-sign Miller? Should we pursue another FA starter? Should we trade for a starter? Of course not. This is a bridge to Demko and is one of the only moves I've seen from this organization that semi-acknowledges we're in a rebuild.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
[MOD]

This contract is great. Markstrom played STRONG last year. He was an absolute beast in that net. This could end up being a huge steal for us. I honestly see Markstrom being considered a top 10 goalie in this league very soon. Not even being a Homer. But ever since he joined the Canucks he dominated the AHL. And took huge strides last season and looked like a starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Slight overpayment but I'm happy with the term. Lines up nicely for Demko. 1-2 years in Utica and then backing up Markstrom until he's ready to take over.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
haha wow this is terrible

No it's really not. He was the one bright spot on the Canucks last year next to Hutton. He played way better than Miller and there's nothing wrong with this term and money as a bridge contract to Demko.

Seriously seems from this thread people didn't watch him play at all.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't think Markstrom has earned this contract, potential is there to make this a great contract for the Canucks but imo Markstrom is still a bit of a wild card as NHL starting goalie.

Yeah. Markstrom is not a starter as of right now and has not put up elite numbers in a backup role so this contract is paying for potential to some degree.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I'm fine with this. Goaltending was the least of our worries last year. Markstrom played well for us, and more importantly showed promise and potential as he got better.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
So if Miller walks and Markstrom wants too much money (as many think is the case with this contract) and the Canucks cannot afford to rush Demko... The only other option would be to hopefully sign a UFA goalie once Miller leaves or trade for one with the asking price it seems a late first. This is a good bet and I'm comfortable with the deal. So what if Marky sucks for the contract that would mean better draft picks hopefully. Lol

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Lmao at people ripping this deal.
Yes it's a overpayment, but so what? What else are we gonna do? Resign Miller?
Rush Demko?

Play Markstrom just at $600k-$1m less? I don't see how saving a money and still playing the same guy hurts.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I've only been on here for a matter of days, but I continue to be amazed at the lack of general hockey knowledge among Leaf fans. You expect that type of arrogance from a team with recent cups. I truly enjoy all their posts.

This one too?
Higher than I imagined, but honestly, to anyone suggesting so, it's not going to break Vancouver.

You guys [non-Leafs fans, not Vancouver fans specifically] love to do this: pick out Leafs fans' comments to make a point, but ignore the Leafs fans' posts that don't suit your argument, or ignore the other fan bases saying the same thing.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
How do people not like this signing? Markstrom put up good numbers on an awful team that had a turnover prone defense. If they wanted him for a year, he would have been cheaper, but clearly they see him taking the reigns next year.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Don't forget this is an extension so the money doesn't kick in till 2017-18. It's a gamble for the Canucks but one with reasonable upside. If Markstrom continues to improve and continues to eat into Miller's PT over the course of this season - by the time the contract kicks in, it could be very good value. They obviously believe he's on the right trajectory - if you wait until the end of the year, he could very well be in that $4-4.5 million bracket.

This isn't $3.667 million AAV for a backup; it's the Canucks hedging their bets a bit and banking on having a solid starting goalie for the next four years at well under market value, freeing up cash to be spent elsewhere. It could blow-up in their faces, sure - but there is a calculation here and Markstrom has the pedigree, physical tools and positive career trajectory to make it worth their while.

I like it when a fan from another team can see this situation.

:nod:

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
If it's backup money he'll probably be the 2nd most expensive backup in the league.

Markstrom will be the starter when this contract kicks in. He could be the starter as early as this up coming season at 1.55mil.

Reimer 3.4
Vasilevskiy 3.5
Ward 3.3
Niemi 4.5
Bernier 4.15
Halak 4.5
Pavelec 3.9

Those are just back up goalies on the top of my head...

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Don't forget this is an extension so the money doesn't kick in till 2017-18. It's a gamble for the Canucks but one with reasonable upside. If Markstrom continues to improve and continues to eat into Miller's PT over the course of this season - by the time the contract kicks in, it could be very good value. They obviously believe he's on the right trajectory - if you wait until the end of the year, he could very well be in that $4-4.5 million bracket.

This isn't $3.667 million AAV for a backup; it's the Canucks hedging their bets a bit and banking on having a solid starting goalie for the next four years at well under market value, freeing up cash to be spent elsewhere. It could blow-up in their faces, sure - but there is a calculation here and Markstrom has the pedigree, physical tools and positive career trajectory to make it worth their while.

Exactly. It also gives Demko 3 years to develop. What did people want ?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
More money than he has shown he deserves so far but he still has the time and talent to live up to the deal.
Really they need a goalie going forward and Miller doesn't look to be in the future plans so even if it is an overpay, its one the club needed to make.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't see why he gets over $1.3M more than Gibson in a 3 year deal. Seems like overpayment.

RFA (Gibson) vs. UFA (Markström) years (for a bad goalie).

5th worst SV% from last 4 years for goalies with +3000mins.

Only Bryzgalov, Bäckström, Lindbäck and Brodeur were behind him.

Last edited:

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Another deal that shows Benning's lack of ability in another managerial task.

This is the same mistake he made with other contracts like Sutter or Sbisa.

What's the need to sign him now? He obviously hadn't earned it yet and it's another contract paying a player for what they could develop into while having a year more to evaluate the situation before dishing out that contract.

Markstrom doesn't have much value right now. And with expansion a year away (like Markstrom contract) the market for mid level to bottom starters (or quality backups) is a buyers market.

I'd bet before next season starts you'll see comparable goalies moved cheap... or available in FA.

Demo is this team's future and Markstrom isn't going to be more than a stop-gap anyways. So why re-sign him this early to a contract he hasn't yet earned, while in a goalie-buyers?

Let him earn it first this year and then see if he's worth that next season... there's little risk because of options available.

Benning should have done that with both Sutter and Sbisa... instead of signing them so early he could have saved cap space letting them earn it first. If he'd have done that maybe Sbisa isn't even extended... and after Sutter's injury riddled season he likely also has less leverage.

Benning doesn't seem to care of contracts and cap... just get them locked up so he can move on to scouting.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
This is ****ing dumb Markstrom sucks imo

how is markstrom's extension worth more than reimer's ufa contract :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad